BUILDING NEW PC SEEKING OPINIONS

The GPU alone can pull around 300w.

The GPU is the single largest power consumer on the PC by far ... does 300W justifies a 1000W power supply? .. even under load it is hard to find an effective power consumption over 500W (for the whole PC), so a 750W power supply is more than enough.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'd suggest a fully modular PSU 750W to 850W

It will help to keep cabling neater in the case Link here.

You can also get different length cable assemblies if you need shorter or longer cables or even different colour sleeved cable assemblies to match your build.

The EVGA modular PSU's come with a full set of cables but you only use the ones you need and there black sleeved so will match the inside colour of your case..

<edit>

Your motherboard supports faster RAM for a few bucks more you might want to consider 3200 seems prices go up from about the speed RAM

Tight timings yield faster throughput but usually cost a bit more.

Perhaps something like this link here

No matter what RAM you get check that it is on the mother QVL list to ensure comparability.

Edited by FragBum
<edit>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The GPU is the single largest power consumer on the PC by far ... does 300W justifies a 1000W power supply? .. even under load it is hard to find an effective power consumption over 500W (for the whole PC), so a 750W power supply is more than enough.

In my book yes it does.

I will always take more than needed over having just enough.

I certainly would not have put a 750w in this new rig I built.

But that is just me...

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Absolutely agreed. 1000w is ridiculous. If you can justify that extra cost for yourself, good for you, but let's not pretend it's necessary.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

OK these are the changes I have made due to feedback.

RAM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232560

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-32GTZR

$364.99

This was based on the comment I should get higher speed RAM. However I still don't know how this would benefit me as the CPU is DDR4 2666. How do I make them match? Not that it matters because I am going to have a professional install everything I am just curious so I can make sure it was done properly.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

MOTHERBOARD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144210&ignorebbr=1

MSI MEG Z390 ACE LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

$269.99

Based on the comment that the ASUS boards

Der Hirte - "The ASUS Z390 boards don't seem to be the best this generation and pricerange because of its fake 8 phase VRM on the board. Look into a Gigabyte, MSI or ASRock equivalent." Though an article I read said positive things about the VRM.

https://appuals.com/5-best-gaming-motherboards-for-intel-core-i9-9900k/

Impressively, the thermal finesse of VRM allowed it to sustain 50 degrees Celcius at overclocked speeds with great power efficiencies. It features DDR4 memory clocks supporting up to 44ooMHz.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was based on the comment I should get higher speed RAM. However I still don't know how this would benefit me as the CPU is DDR4 2666. How do I make them match? Not that it matters because I am going to have a professional install everything I am just curious so I can make sure it was done properly.

The comment, at least from my side, was you can get higher than 2666 Mhz clocked RAM. It depends on if you want to overclock your CPU and if yes how far? Going with the specified 2666 Mhz will not overclock the memory controller of the CPU which translates into a little bit more headroom for overclocking. If you dont overclock or just for 100 to 200 Mhz you can get higher than 2666 Mhz RAM which translates into a bit more bandwidth to work with for the CPU.

... MOTHERBOARD ... https://appuals.com/5-best-gaming-motherboards-for-intel-core-i9-9900k/

Impressively, the thermal finesse of VRM allowed it to sustain 50 degrees Celcius at overclocked speeds with great power efficiencies. It features DDR4 memory clocks supporting up to 44ooMHz.

There's a lot to talk about this kind of statement: What is "great power effiency" for him? Or "overclocked speeds"? It's all subjective. There's also this: "Now let’s get to the critical aspect, the VRM. It has a magnificent 4 phase design using..." A 4 phase VRM is a literal joke for overclocking, and also the fact that ASUS was selling boards as an 8 phase VRM when in reality they were only 4 phase is worth to note too. I wouldn't support such a marketing bullshit with giving them my money. The EVGA Z390 DARK has 16 phase VRM for example, that's a magnificient VRM. He also puts this ASUS board on place 1 in his list when it's actually the one which has the worst reviews of all the 5 ... and then even better: The EVGA Z390 on the last place but with better reviews, but the best is his con on this board: No RGB :lol: Good lord, this dude is probably sponsored by ASUS in some way and/or a hardcore RGB kiddo who cares more about how his computer looks than how it does perform or work. You can get higher RAM clocks on the other boards aswell. Burger King or McDonalds also aren't the companies which automatically make the best burgers in the world but have the biggest marketshare/most marketing, it's similar here.

Edited by Der Hirte

In my opinion, the i9 9900K is not worth it for $530, especially just for DCS. As I've stated already, DCS only uses 2 threads max, and one is barely used as it only handles audio. For $410 ($120 cheaper), you can get an i9 9700K that can overclock just as high. It only has 8 threads instead of 16, leading to a small drop in performance for certain workflows, but it won't matter in DCS because the main game loop is not multi-threaded.

For the Kraken X72, you certainly don't need a 360mm radiator unless you really want one for aesthetic reasons. A 240 or 280mm radiator will have similar or better performance than the 360mm. See the images here, which show various 240mm radiators outperforming the Kraken X72:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kraken+x72+benchmark&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS824US824&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjssYzhxNHgAhWLLXwKHdXkCKMQ_AUIECgD&biw=2752&bih=1010#imgrc=8gu8N_-SWp_qMM:

For the motherboard, $270 for the MSI MEG is really just too much. Unless you know that you absolutely need the extra PCI slots (and based on what you said, I'm pretty sure you don't), save your money and pick up a micro-ATX board instead like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145096

It's $140 ($130 cheaper), has extra PCI slots for expandability in the future, and will perform just as well as the MSI MEG. Don't get too caught up with people talking about VRM phases; that only matters at the extreme ends of overclocking, which 5.0 GHz is not.

You've needlessly picked RAM with a faster timing, but is $120 more expensive for almost no noticeable speed difference. Pick up these instead, which has the same frequency, and despite slightly slower timings, you'll never notice it:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232748

The Asus 2080 Ti is at the top end of the 2080 Ti GPU pricing. Unless you have a specific reason for picking this card, I recommend that you get something $100 cheaper with the same performance, like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932064

A 750W power supply is more than enough. I doubt the people who are saying to go with something higher have ever plugged in a watt-meter to measure their actual system usage. Having some headroom is good; having too much is just a waste of money and space, like buying a 5-gallon tank because you want to drink a cup of water.

With these changes, you can save at least another $470 for almost no change in performance in DCS.

For the other replies, understand that this guy barely knows anything about computer hardware. Talking about VRM phases, XMP, QVL, and virtual machines without explaining what they are is not really helping.

A 750W power supply is more than enough. I doubt the people who are saying to go with something higher have ever plugged in a watt-meter to measure their actual system usage.

Because you don't need to.

Having some headroom is good; having too much is just a waste of money and space, like buying a 5-gallon tank because you want to drink a cup of water.

Some headroom is subjective. For you headroom is more into the range of +100 or +200W? What if newer hardware pulls more power? What if he, somewhere down the timeline, decides to get another card? Then he has to buy a new PSU which costs money and time and has a spare PSU lying around and then has spend more money in the end. Why not spending 50$ more on a 3000$ build?

Talking about VRM phases, ... without explaining what they are is not really helping.

It does help when I have put it into the context that ASUS is marketing their boards with false claims and misleading you to cash in on people. For the sake of explaining it: there is not a need for it since he didn't specifically ask for it and doesn't need to know it if he doesn't even overclock much. But prevent him from buying a marketing gag? Yes it helps.

... virtual machines without explaining what they are is not really helping.
Mate, the thread creator said that he needs the computer for virtual machines, no one else talked about it. So what are you on?
Edited by Der Hirte

Oh I think someone got phooey because Asus claimed 8 phase verses a parallel 4 phase VRM solution and because of that unicorns would fart in your car when you unlocked it and it would smell wonderful all day long, your coffee would never go cold and life is peachy well that's what marketing said,.. :P:D

The faster RAM should be selected with a view to somewhere around ~10% improvement in memory through put depending on task in practise, even though the raw numbers sound somewhat disproportionate that's about it. AFAIK.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Not really, you know when you research before you buy you usually don't get ****ed over. And who would drink coffee?

And the practical difference for the average gamer in a "Phat 4 phase" verses an "8 phase" means you don't need to drink coffee, right I see. :(

I mean it's not like it's 50Hz/60Hz it's high frequency PWM. :music_whistling:

And the practical difference for the average gamer in a "Phat 4 phase" verses an "8 phase" means you don't need to drink coffee, right I see. :(

I mean it's not like it's 50Hz/60Hz it's high frequency PWM. :music_whistling:

DCS isn't a game. Even the name already says it: DC Simulator. Yes this is a difference other than just the name, guess why you need and always needed way more powerful systems than "gamers". Coffee sucks.

DCS isn't a game. Even the name already says it: DC Simulator. Yes this is a difference other than just the name, guess why you need and always needed way more powerful systems than "gamers". Coffee sucks.

There are programs that can help you.

OP doesn't even understand basic overclocking, talking about VRM phases is going to mean absolutely nothing to him. As long as the board can push an i9 series chip to 5.1 GHz without issues, it doesn't matter if it has 2 phases or 256.

Agree. :thumbup:

... talking about VRM phases is going to mean absolutely nothing to him.

Are you this stupid? I explained to him why I don't recommend the ASUS board, it was not about teaching him what VRM do but explaining why I don't recommend it. How is this wrong? Tell me.

As long as the board can push an i9 series chip to 5.1 GHz without issues, it doesn't matter if it has 2 phases or 256.

No, you buy boards with high quality components to actually achieve higher than 5,1 GHZ. If you'd win the silicon lottery with a chip which would be able to hit 5,4 at a kind of healthy voltage you will only achieve this with the right board and not with a fake 8 phase ASUS VRM. Keep misleading people on the internet. Do you think the more expensive boards cost more money just for fun or maybe because they have higher quality components which can sustain more voltage and heat? Into what does more stable voltage and less temperature sensitive components translate into? Ah - higher clockspeeds.

Edited by Der Hirte

Says the guy who thinks the VRM and the quality of the other electrical components of the mainboard have zero influence on the overclocking result. Guess why highend boards cost more most of the time? For fun or because of the RGB effects? Because the small electrical components are a much higher quality, have better cooling, etc. which means more stability at higher clocks than possible on cheap boards. Why exactly do you get BSODs or freezes when you put the voltage too high? But keep misleading unknowing people lmao. I always feared DCS getting too popular so it would pull more idiots, I guess the time has come. :lol:

I think you are conflating reality and your world. You are correct about pulling more idiots. :thumbup:

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

I think you are conflating reality and your world. You are correct about pulling more idiots. :thumbup:

I actually took the time to understand others correctly and edited my post accordingly. Can't say others are able to actually read and comprehend what I wrote but try to put words into mouth of others which were never there or ignore what I've wrote before.

Edit: Let me add this, maybe you are able to then read it this time (quote from post #33):

Originally Posted by Ranma13 viewpost.gif

Talking about VRM phases, ... without explaining what they are is not really helping.

It does help when I have put it into the context that ASUS is marketing their boards with false claims and misleading you to cash in on people. For the sake of explaining it: there is not a need for it since he didn't specifically ask for it and doesn't need to know it if he doesn't even overclock much. But prevent him from buying a marketing gag? Yes it helps.

Edited by Der Hirte

I actually took the time to understand others correctly and edited my post accordingly. Can't say others are able to actually read and comprehend what I wrote but try to put words into mouth of others which were never there or ignore what I've wrote before.

Edit: Let me add this, maybe you are able to then read it this time (quote from post #33):

Originally Posted by Ranma13 viewpost.gif

Which is why your posts are not helpful, I will leave the OP in capable hands there are many helpful people out there and that's not including you. Please for the op's sake re-frame from posting.

Thank you,

:D

You edited your posts to save face be honest. :thumbup:

You edited your posts to save face be honest. :thumbup:

Nah, I edited my post because I misunderstood the post of Ranma initially and rephrased accordingly. After all I'm no one attacking people for no reason or out of envy. If I would have intended to "save my face" I would've just deleted it. But it does sound quite similiar to the post I made after it doesn't it? Doesn't look like deleting to "save my face" to me. I don't need to take back the statement about DCS pulling more idiots the more popular it gets, I just don't aim at Ranma like initially. People like you on the other hand who don't know about VRM phases and how overclocking works on the other components of the board but try to defame others as kind of "overclock newbies" although they have the better arguments to make themselves look better than they are are idiots per definition indeed. Cheers boy. I hope you learned something this time.

Edited by Der Hirte

In my opinion, the i9 9900K is not worth it for $530, especially just for DCS. As I've stated already, DCS only uses 2 threads max, and one is barely used as it only handles audio. For $410 ($120 cheaper), you can get an i9 9700K that can overclock just as high. It only has 8 threads instead of 16, leading to a small drop in performance for certain workflows, but it won't matter in DCS because the main game loop is not multi-threaded.

For the Kraken X72, you certainly don't need a 360mm radiator unless you really want one for aesthetic reasons. A 240 or 280mm radiator will have similar or better performance than the 360mm. See the images here, which show various 240mm radiators outperforming the Kraken X72:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kraken+x72+benchmark&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS824US824&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjssYzhxNHgAhWLLXwKHdXkCKMQ_AUIECgD&biw=2752&bih=1010#imgrc=8gu8N_-SWp_qMM:

For the motherboard, $270 for the MSI MEG is really just too much. Unless you know that you absolutely need the extra PCI slots (and based on what you said, I'm pretty sure you don't), save your money and pick up a micro-ATX board instead like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145096

It's $140 ($130 cheaper), has extra PCI slots for expandability in the future, and will perform just as well as the MSI MEG. Don't get too caught up with people talking about VRM phases; that only matters at the extreme ends of overclocking, which 5.0 GHz is not.

You've needlessly picked RAM with a faster timing, but is $120 more expensive for almost no noticeable speed difference. Pick up these instead, which has the same frequency, and despite slightly slower timings, you'll never notice it:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232748

The Asus 2080 Ti is at the top end of the 2080 Ti GPU pricing. Unless you have a specific reason for picking this card, I recommend that you get something $100 cheaper with the same performance, like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932064

A 750W power supply is more than enough. I doubt the people who are saying to go with something higher have ever plugged in a watt-meter to measure their actual system usage. Having some headroom is good; having too much is just a waste of money and space, like buying a 5-gallon tank because you want to drink a cup of water.

With these changes, you can save at least another $470 for almost no change in performance in DCS.

For the other replies, understand that this guy barely knows anything about computer hardware. Talking about VRM phases, XMP, QVL, and virtual machines without explaining what they are is not really helping.

Well I want to future proof my PC as much as I am able.

I have always bought mid range equipment due to cost and have had to upgrade my PC 3 times (including this time) to keep playing DCS.

Right now these are my specs.

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W BX80637I73770 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M1A1600C10B

Thermaltake W0116RU 750W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

PNY - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 XLR8 Gaming OC Edition 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Red

Toshiba Memory America Toshiba OCZ TR200 Series 2.5" SATA III 240GB Internal Solid State Drive (THN-TR20Z2400U8(CS) 2.5" THN-TR20Z2400U8(CS

I can play DCS OK in single player. I can technically run MP but it is not always what I would call playable (it is sometimes though) and it takes a LONG time to load. DCS is on the SSD by itself. I have it in a docking bay hooked to the computer with a 3.0 USB.

Basically I know my build might be a bit overkill but I use this PC for more than just DCS. I use it for all my gaming needs today and for a few years to come.

If I could spend a little and get my PC to run DCS at an acceptable rate I might put it off for a year or so but at this point I think it's time for a rebuild.

As far as virtual machines I run ONE virtual machine and I only web browse with it.

I appreciate you trying to save money but I don't JUST want to run DCS. I want to build a fairly high end gaming PC. That being said I do not want to waste money per say (if a 200 dollar board works as well as a 350 dollar board why not just spend 200) but I don't want to make compromises in performance to save a few bucks either.

I hope this feedback helps.

As for the overclocking I am going to have all that done professionally. I am buying parts but a shop is doing the assembly. The main reason I came here is to make sure parts are compatible and to seek your insights on the best path to go forward.

At this rate these are things I am not willing to change. I am locked into the processor. I am locked into the case. I am locked into the graphics card. I am locked into the Hard Drive (or whatever they call them now). I believe the PSU I have is fine. My main questions now are RAM and MB related.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Der Hirte, since it seems like you can't be arsed to have a civil discussion without resorting to personal attacks and insults (which, based on your post history, seems like your modus operandi), then I can't be arsed to pay you any attention. Welcome to my ignore list, enjoy your indefinite stay.

Mine as well , in the company of three others . I find that the ignore list makes for a much more serene forum experience , and dissuades me from being someone i wish not to be as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Guys I would still like some input about the motherboard. Is there any credence to what Der Hirte said about that phase stuff?

Also about the RAM.

Since the CPU states DDR4 2666 and the RAM is DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34) do I need to DO anything or will it just automatically work?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]