Aerobatics Online -Kicking

Norcat

Hi all.

I hate to complain, it not really my thing but... in my fifth post in about the same amount of years I gotta say something about the AO regarding Wildcat Utely 2.

He is the guardian of all in the server it seems and he is on what best can be described as a power trip with the rules.

No buzzing aircraft on the RWY or taxiway so as to prevent smashing into things and people on purpose. I get it. It’s frustrating to get smoked on the way to the runway or to land into a hole. Losing scope of that and power tripping. Super not cool.

I taxied my 18 for RWY 22 at Anapa (into wind btw no bonus points from wildcat for that) check the map view. RWY clear no one inbound. Take position and roll. Rotate, gear up, flaps up 200kts through 2-300AGL left turn out to clear the field for other departure and boom ...kicked. Ummmm.

I fly for a living so I play ‘pretend real fighter pilot’ best I can and chill in the AO to let the work week subside. Love it there. It’s been great. Getting kicked for a normal takeoff, that sucks.

The new guardian is frankly killing the joy. Saw some other names all long time guys or experienced RL drivers also get a hard time from him.

The game is getting more popular and the AO is filling up. Terrific news for DCS! New peeps arrive and lots don’t know how to fly. Occasional crashes expected especially of in a Mig-29 or 21. Tricky handling. No biggie. They will learn.

Guys buzzing other as close as the can. Yeah it’s annoying. Here is an Idea...Tell em not to, nicely , or kick with a requirement to read the rules maybe. (Which have changed but are not written yet apparently)

Being an internet cop is tough man. No one will like you or ever want to see you. But Wildcat is taking it to a new level. Aggressiveness and posturing on line when you can klick a button on a guy and get a thrill that your saved the virtual flying world...don’t let that get to your head. It’s a game. Anapa is always a smoking hole on the ground. Leave it as one. Let the other guys fly a few miles away to a better field. Put the FC3 aircraft at one spot and the clickable ones in another spot. Keep em separated and you’ll have a more relaxed environment. Can always fly a Mach 2 in the F-15 to catch up with the guys of you start at different fields.

AO please consider that and remove Wildcat/Utely 2 and get a better tempered guy to hold the kick button. I’ve seen him a few times and frankly he has been pretty negative towards all.

Sorry Wildcat but you are not the guy for the job.

Norcat

I am the maintainer for Aerobatics Online. Ultimately, the rules exist to keep things fun for everyone, but shouldn’t get in the way. I’ve already posted the below response in our Discord server’s #admin-help channel, but I’ll cross post it here as well:

For everyone, admins, moderators, and players alike - keep rule #2 in mind: Show respect to other players. Do not engage in personal attacks or trolling of other players. This includes being courteous with where and how you fly and to not interfere with another's flight experience on the server.

We have discussed what to do about the increasing number of player to player ramp strikes from low passes, as well as the new persistent airport damage that was recently implemented by ED. Our moderators were asked to police high speed, low pass flights over the ramp to reduce trolling, but there were no explicit guidelines on how to accomplish that. At the moment, we're considering scripting to prevent people from doing high speed passes over the ramp at very low altitudes (e.g., 50') but this idea is still being evaluated and there's no ETA for implementation.

At present, we will continue to enforce rule #2 only. Low passes are not prohibited on Aerobatics Online. We ask that if you do them, be careful and do them over the runway without crashing.

Moderators will continue to evaluate player activity and determine if rule #2 is being broken or not. The moderator team is here to make your playing experience better, not worse. If there are issues, please approach the admin team and we will try to find a good solution for everyone.

Aerobatics Online Server Admin

Gaming Rig: i7 7700k @ 4.6, Nvidia GTX-1080Ti, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe SDD.

Hardware: TM Warthog w/ 10cm extension, TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, Obutto r3volution pit, Oculus Rift CV1

Hi all.

I hate to complain, it not really my thing but... in my fifth post in about the same amount of years I gotta say something about the AO regarding Wildcat Utely 2.

He is the guardian of all in the server it seems and he is on what best can be described as a power trip with the rules.

No buzzing aircraft on the RWY or taxiway so as to prevent smashing into things and people on purpose. I get it. It’s frustrating to get smoked on the way to the runway or to land into a hole. Losing scope of that and power tripping. Super not cool.

I taxied my 18 for RWY 22 at Anapa (into wind btw no bonus points from wildcat for that) check the map view. RWY clear no one inbound. Take position and roll. Rotate, gear up, flaps up 200kts through 2-300AGL left turn out to clear the field for other departure and boom ...kicked. Ummmm.

I fly for a living so I play ‘pretend real fighter pilot’ best I can and chill in the AO to let the work week subside. Love it there. It’s been great. Getting kicked for a normal takeoff, that sucks.

The new guardian is frankly killing the joy. Saw some other names all long time guys or experienced RL drivers also get a hard time from him.

The game is getting more popular and the AO is filling up. Terrific news for DCS! New peeps arrive and lots don’t know how to fly. Occasional crashes expected especially of in a Mig-29 or 21. Tricky handling. No biggie. They will learn.

Guys buzzing other as close as the can. Yeah it’s annoying. Here is an Idea...Tell em not to, nicely , or kick with a requirement to read the rules maybe. (Which have changed but are not written yet apparently)

Being an internet cop is tough man. No one will like you or ever want to see you. But Wildcat is taking it to a new level. Aggressiveness and posturing on line when you can klick a button on a guy and get a thrill that your saved the virtual flying world...don’t let that get to your head. It’s a game. Anapa is always a smoking hole on the ground. Leave it as one. Let the other guys fly a few miles away to a better field. Put the FC3 aircraft at one spot and the clickable ones in another spot. Keep em separated and you’ll have a more relaxed environment. Can always fly a Mach 2 in the F-15 to catch up with the guys of you start at different fields.

AO please consider that and remove Wildcat/Utely 2 and get a better tempered guy to hold the kick button. I’ve seen him a few times and frankly he has been pretty negative towards all.

Sorry Wildcat but you are not the guy for the job.

Norcat

Why dont you put yourself in his shoes? Ive been flying in the AO server for years, and these past few months its been very much out of hand; especially Anapa. How would you feel if you saw 10 people buzzing your aircraft 10 feet off the ground and half the time they crashed into you before you could even get on the runway? Im fed up with it, others are fed up with it; what makes you think they arent fed up with it either? On that same note, how hard is it to fly respectfully? How hard is it to not fly over people at high speeds while they are taxiing?

Respectfully speaking, you need to step back and see the bigger picture before making a judgement. Id kick you too if you kept flying at low altitude over people; Id ban you too if you kept pressing the issue over it. You people are grown up enough to know that respect is a two way street. As far as Utley goes, Id side with him any day of the week because you people fly carelessly at Anapa and ruin it for everyone there.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Thanks Samoht. :)

@Pingpongchampeen. I’m not flying like that. I feel the same my friend. Your frustration is misdirected. I am hoping the AO does get cleaned up. If u ever saw me fly you’d know I’m not that guy that the kicking is aimed at. :)

The server just needs a script to detect and ban. It’s too hard for a guy to police and not have it drive him crazy. I’m sure Wildcat is a good fella (gotta be if you stood up for him) He is tired of it all too and going after folks that are the real target. It easy to question everyone when trying to set order. I get it, it would drive me nuts too but you can’t close out dialog and kick after a question is asked either.

We all want the same. A clean AO and to have guys realize no one is impressed with buzz jobs or head on passes or any reckless unsolicited flight that puts another guy in danger. Samoht put it all in context. I agree with him completely.

If we get a script and let the people focus on finding guys that are the real trouble, happy days ahead. :)

Wildcat come fly and have fun. Leave Anapa as a smoking hole till a script arrives to police it as it does for taxi speeds. Works great too.

You’ll have a way better time just flying.

See ya in the server guys

Thanks Samoht. :)

@Pingpongchampeen. I’m not flying like that. I feel the same my friend. Your frustration is misdirected. I am hoping the AO does get cleaned up. If u ever saw me fly you’d know I’m not that guy that the kicking is aimed at. :)

The server just needs a script to detect and ban. It’s too hard for a guy to police and not have it drive him crazy. I’m sure Wildcat is a good fella (gotta be if you stood up for him) He is tired of it all too and going after folks that are the real target. It easy to question everyone when trying to set order. I get it, it would drive me nuts too but you can’t close out dialog and kick after a question is asked either.

We all want the same. A clean AO and to have guys realize no one is impressed with buzz jobs or head on passes or any reckless unsolicited flight that puts another guy in danger. Samoht put it all in context. I agree with him completely.

If we get a script and let the people focus on finding guys that are the real trouble, happy days ahead. :)

Wildcat come fly and have fun. Leave Anapa as a smoking hole till a script arrives to police it as it does for taxi speeds. Works great too.

You’ll have a way better time just flying.

See ya in the server guys

Its hard to make a script that can only focus on aircraft flying around airfields; how are you going to implement that? Aircraft usually fly above 300kts around airports; helicopters are even more difficult to police and they are a bigger nuisance than you might believe. Some things just "have" to be moderated because it cant be controlled remotely.

And Anapa is pretty much the only game in town if you wish to cold start fly the F-18...

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Moderation is good if well measured.

Scripts are beyond me. :) if Samoht and team can make one, super.

Till then, a fix is needed for the chaos at Anapa for sure. I fly the Mig-15 from Kymrsk just to stay away from the potholes and crazy flying. Far nicer place to fly around. Put some 18’s there. Would be nice to start at a field that’s relaxed so to speak.

Put the helos 100nm away from the fixed wings. Hope the choppers would lose interest in buzzing the taxing airplanes during the longer transit.

A shuffling of aircraft and bases may help restore the fun.

Or...have an invited AO server for those that are established flyers.

Just spitballing.

The AO is fun just need to get the chaos out of it. :)

I stopped flying on AO due to the chaos at Anapa, and to a lessor extent the other air fields.

One thing that I always thought might help is to spread out the popular plane spawn locations. Right now most F-18s are spawned at Anapa, as well as the more popular FC3 airframes. This might no longer be true as I said; I no longer fly on AO . They may have changed the spawn locations by now.

Edited by Miles Vorkosigan

• 4 weeks later...
I am the maintainer for Aerobatics Online.

Thanks for doing this. I love flying on this server.

I'm glad you guys are addressing the problems in the runway environment. I just thought I'd add that I think we'd have much less problems if pilots just observed a little better practices in the airport environment. The most obvious one is the tendency for many pilots to always use the nearest departure runway. I notice this even when the winds are nearly 20 knots straight down the runway, some will just takeoff downwind when there is already people lined up to takeoff or land in the correct direction. We all want realism and to start the jets, but we're too lazy to take an extra two minutes taxxiing? This is sort of silly I think. Pilots in RL rarely ever depart with more than a 10 knot tailwind. That would really have to be an exceptional circumstance.

It's also not uncommon to be crossing the fence when landing and have someone take the runway right in front of you - without ever seeing if the approach is clear.

I don't mind the low passes, but when they are downwind heading opposite what should be the active runway they cause many more problems.

Also, it would be nice if more were on SRS and provided a little info on intentions. My experience is that the aerobatics online SRS server is more used by people who are flying combat on a totally different server, and then they'll be on the airport frequency for wherever the most frequently used aircraft are based.

Again, thanks for this. I see a lot of "professionalism" on this server. I think this is the one big exception.

Edited by Cake

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

• 9 months later...

Not much has changed. I suppose I should have expected it on New Years Day.

I usually use AO for simple carrier Ops. I went on today, took an FA-18C from Kobuleti as usual and flew out to the Stennis. Did my customary Case 1, not especially tidy but it was there, pattern at 2000ft, went well astern to pass back 800ft/350kts off to the right, reversed to downwind setting up for On Speed. Turned in when it looked clear and was on the run in when some idiot chopped across the top of me around 1000ft lurching out to the right, dragged it back across me to the left, snatched it back to the right to cross the rear left corner of the carrier towards the cables at about 30 degree angle. 'An obvious bolter' I thought (apart from being bloody rude) so I continued landing. Somehow he caught a wire and it was too late for me to go around. We collided. Now you could argue I should nave aborted at first sight but I genuinely thought he was never going to make it. I came in for some abuse from him and his mate of course. Anyway here's the Tacview. He wasn't the only one looning around.

AO put a lot of emphasis on behaviour which I admire but it's often as bad as ever when schools out. Fortunately I can usually fly when it's quiet.

Tacview-20200101-112654-DCS-Aerobatics Online Caucasus OpenBeta.zip.acmi.zip

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Not much has changed. I suppose I should have expected it on New Years Day.

I usually use AO for simple carrier Ops. I went on today, took an FA-18C from Kobuleti as usual and flew out to the Stennis. Did my customary Case 1, not especially tidy but it was there, pattern at 2000ft, went well astern to pass back 800ft/350kts off to the right, reversed to downwind setting up for On Speed. Turned in when it looked clear and was on the run in when some idiot chopped across the top of me around 1000ft lurching out to the right, dragged it back across me to the left, snatched it back to the right to cross the rear left corner of the carrier towards the cables at about 30 degree angle. 'An obvious bolter' I thought (apart from being bloody rude) so I continued landing. Somehow he caught a wire and it was too late for me to go around. We collided. Now you could argue I should nave aborted at first sight but I genuinely thought he was never going to make it. I came in for some abuse from him and his mate of course. Anyway here's the Tacview. He wasn't the only one looning around.

AO put a lot of emphasis on behaviour which I admire but it's often as bad as ever when schools out. Fortunately I can usually fly when it's quiet.

What makes the AO server so great is anyone of any level of knowledge and experience can jump on and have fun with friends. The people that fly on AO are very helpful and when new pilots voice their difficulties in chat they get helpful responses. The AO server was THE reason I got into DCS as much as I did. I made many friends and became part of many awesome communities as a result.

People buzzing the parking and airfield is a big part of the atmosphere on the server and one of the things that makes the server feel alive as soon as you jump in. Many people enjoy hearing and seeing people fly overhead, I am one of them.

The crashes are also a major source of amusement on the server. No one that belongs on the server is purposely trying to crash. When people are trying new maneuvers it does not always pan out and often results in an entertaining explosion. It can be frustrating if you end up as collateral damage but all you need to do is get a new plane. I almost never have a problem starting up and taking of from the airfield. It's not a big deal to me.

The most dangerous place is on the carrier because of lag and failed carrier landings. Even then I have no problem landing and taking off from the carrier most of the time. Its only when I stay parked on the carrier that the inevitable eventually happens.

You do get inconsiderate/inexperienced/oblivious players cutting in front of you when your on final for the carrier which can be really annoying. But that was more of a problem when the F18 and F14 were new modules and people had no idea how to queue for carrier landings. Most people have learned carrier etiquette by now and its much less of an issue.

Buzzing the airfield/parking is such a major part of the AO server. It would be really sad to see it go. Sure you get the occasional crash but so what, its fun! If a little bit of inconvenience is the price for fun and freedom then its a bargain in my book.

Had it myself on the same server, problem is most people go straight into landing rather than fly the pattern. Had chance to go around and didn't say anything but to be fair the guy sitting on the carrier to give the pilot who cut me up a roasting lol. it is a lot of fun on the server though but collisions are inevitable.

AMD 5800X, 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, AMD 6900xt, Windows 11, Quest 3.

F15E, AH-64, F/A18C, F-14, Super Carrier, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, AV-8B, FW190, C101, F-15C, Mi8MTV2, SU-33, SU-27, M-2000C, AJS-37, KA-50, L-39, Yak-52, F-5E, F-86F, Spitfire, Persian Gulf, Normandy, NTTR.

Buzzing the airfield letting out loads of smoke can be an inconvenience to guys with lower spec systems because it can destroy their fps but other than that I suppose its ok. Down the centreline it can get in the way of landings and takeoffs though. The idiots that bomb the runway (or crash on it?) is a pain to anyone trying to land or takeoff. I thought weapons were blocked but somehow craters appear on the runways.

My problem apart from getting irritated is that I casn usually only grab an hour or so, in which I can go from Kobuleti to a carrier, execute a Case 1, fly to the next carrier, repeat and fly home. It's bl**dy annoying to have half an hour wasted by some idiot who wrecks it all. You can only go around so many times before a coffee and valium seem like a better option.

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

AO Server is hands down the best, I wouldnt change a thing. Nothing cooler than starting up a Tomcat and seeing a Hornet do a smokey High Alpha in dirty config @ 75 knots and 50 ft AGL. Love seeing a Huey a foot off my canopy and then shadow me as I make my way to the craters and snake through them as I take off for the Stennis where I will probably get rear ended by a SU-33. But I do it again, and again, and again. Because its the BEST place to be, so much help, so many friends, so many cool adventures....

The speed contests, the high altitude contests, the 20-plane form flights, the smoke shows, the aerobatic displays a foot off the deck, the sonic boom passes on the ramp, the hovering Hell's Angels, the warbirds flying under bridges; all of the experiences are absolutely amazing. There's is always an audience, and to me personally, when I know people are watching, it brings my game to a new level.

AO did a great job in making it so immersive and fun, and splitting up the FC3 and Hi Fi planes was a huge step in keeping the runways manageable. KOB today is nowhere freaking close to what Anapa was a year ago. Anapa will never recover from the onslaught it received, it's runways are forever cursed from the ghosts of planes long crashed.

Hi five to AO server for making such a friendly, fun, and learning server.