Extremely long load times in VR only.

aaronin93313

Not experiencing that in Rift 1 to 2 minutes SP maybe 3 minutes MP.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Okay what hardware and is this something that has changed?

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

No, it's always been this way and it occurred to me that I didn't see anyone else having this problem. Pancake mode is super fast, but if I exit out and try to fly the same mission or scenario again in VR, the wait begins. 500gb ssd, win10, beta version of dcs, 6700k, gtx 1080.

No, it's always been this way and it occurred to me that I didn't see anyone else having this problem. Pancake mode is super fast, but if I exit out and try to fly the same mission or scenario again in VR, the wait begins. 500gb ssd, win10, beta version of dcs, 6700k, gtx 1080.

When's the last time you went to your motherboard manufacturer's website to check for updated drivers/bios for your motherboard? As well as windows updates..nvidia drivers and what not.

That's not a shot at you.. just.. step one in troubleshooting. Also, have you tried a dcs repair?

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Windows is fully up to date, as are my nvidia drivers. Steam VR up to date as well. I'll check on the bios drivers and then maybe I'll install the stable version or do a fresh install of beta. Hopefully something will give. Thanks for the input though.

are you running any mods? IF so - i recommend using OVGME or JSGME and to always disable the mods before applying an update. It makes life easier.

You should be able to run DCS repair from the start menu under Eagle Dynamics but if it's not there you can open Command Prompt as admin, by typing "CMD" in cortana and right clicking the command prompt option that shows up, and clicking "run as administrator".

From there you can navigate to your dcs install directory, hopefully you know where it is

To change drive letters, for example from the directory CMD prompt opens to your drive labeled "D:" you simply type "D:" without the quotes into command prompt and hit enter. You can then check whats in your current folder by typing "DIR" without the quotes, and change to a folder within the folder you're currently browsing by typing "CD foldername" without the quotes and pressing enter. Also you can navigate to a specific folder if you know where you installed it..

Using my install for an example it's E:\games\DCS World Openbeta\

So I would type E: and press enter,

From there I could type cd games\dcs world openbeta\bin\

Now within the above directory you can type "dcs_updater.exe cleanup" to clear any files from mods or files left behind, and also "dcs_updater.exe repair" without the quotes which should verify your installation as well as visual C++ files.

Also, just using the regular windows explorer browser, you can go to your installation directory and look for a folder called "distr", another folder within called "DirectX" and run dxsetup.exe from within just to ensure everythings correct with your directx installation.

Your installation directory will be different from mine, but hopefully if you aren't fluent in MS-DOS I've helped you navigate there.

I'd try this before a fresh install.

If you already knew all this sorry i just have no way of knowing your level of experience. If this is still happening after doing all this I'd say there's more troubleshooting to do. Or maybe it's just a matter of supersampling being too high.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks Headwarp. Not running any mods at all, but I'll try the repair and check out my DirectX. Appreciate the help.

NP. hope it sorts you out. if not there are a couple other things to look at before I'd feel stumped.

Spoiler

I'm having insanely long load times (10+ minutes) when using VR, but if I play pancake mode, I'm up and running in under 3 minutes. Anyone else have this problem or ideas on why this happens?

LOL! "Pancake mode" I like that. Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread made me chuckle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:thumbup:

Spoiler

Have you set a custom pagefile size instead of allowing windows to manage it?

lots of how-to’s on the web and youtube... but why would you do this?

i’m asking because it’s unlikely you know how many resources the operating system needs, better than the operating system.

thats it’s job. it’s what it specializes in.

I don't, but I'm aware other sim groups do, and some tweak pages for VR speak of it. I've tested it, and on my system with DCS it results in forever load times, and occasional crashes in the load screen. So it might explain the hang time he's experiencing in DCS. Should have been a bit more specific and said DON'T do that.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't, but I'm aware other sim groups do, and some tweak pages for VR speak of it. I've tested it, and on my system with DCS it results in forever load times, and occasional crashes in the load screen. So it might explain the hang time he's experiencing in DCS. Should have been a bit more specific and said DON'T do that.

Managing your own pagefile size is a recommendation from the past. And I guess it's still somewhat relevant if magnetic HDD are still used. The idea was to defrag the HDD, create a known custom size so that the file would be created in a contiguous location on the HDD so the readhead wouldn't have to traverse all over the platter.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1