speed spit

is the spit so much slower than the mustang?

in the stang, you can fly along ground level ish say 500ft at around 350-380, that's normal manifold pressure,2800 and 5000rpm

in the spit, same conditions around 8 on the boost rpm 2800 does about 240,260 at best.

so do I need to continually use up to 3000 and 12psi to get that speed? or is she just a much slower bird? I know top speed is around the 400 mark, so is it safe to put more power for general running around? is the damage model to the engine in DCS?

ah ok, I know when I was in one it seemed soooo much faster :)I know it wasn't as quick as the mustang but thought it was a bit faster.

just had a furball of about 8-10 109s over Caen with same number of spits, she does turn better than the stang just gotta push the red zone :)

Top Speeds that are given for aircraft of WW2 era are typically for one specific altitude where a combination of decreasing air density and supercharger efficiency combine to produce the peak speed achievable.

LF Mk.IX Spitfire generated top speed at 24,000ft.

Things to remember:

1. Top speeds are given in True Air Speed (TAS) whereas from the cockpit you will only ever read Indicated Air Speed (IAS) so you will never see +400mph on the dial in a Spitfire during straight and level flight from engine power alone.

2. Go any higher and lowering air density lessens horsepower available and aircraft will be slower

3. Go any lower and air density increases causing more drag thus aircraft will be slower.