Low End VR settings that "work"

Harlikwin

Got the Rift yesterday, quick test = Holy SH#@! What have I been missing! Fidelity in the pit is not good at the moment though, but that will take time to adjust. I am using this thread as a guide. I read here you used a VR Mod, can you please advise on where I can get it? I think I also read here you were working on adjusting the mod because it was designed more for the Vive, can you elaborate on adjustments to that mod? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Thank you, by the way, what is this mask size you speak of? Is there a number i should know about? Thanks

I took a peak at that thread, 70+ pages! Bottom line for me, will the shader mod pass IC?? I fly typically on the 104th so,,,

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Thank you, by the way, what is this mask size you speak of? Is there a number i should know about? Thanks

See the first post on the link above for info on masksize. I seem to recall when I had the Rift, 0.6 worked for me when I tried out this mod.

However, be aware that this mod doesn’t suit everyone. I don’t use it myself, as there are too many visual degradations for not too much gain in performance. It seems to work well for some people though.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Older posts indicate this does not pass IC, is that still the case? Thanks

Older posts indicate this does not pass IC, is that still the case? Thanks

Have a look at https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3741854&postcount=644

And welcome to the world of DCS in VR.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm using a masksize of .59 IIRC for the rift. It made a decent performance difference on my low end system in that it basically let me use msaa 2x and still get framrates at 45 under light situations.

This should help with using the mod.

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/dcs-vr-shaders-mod-now-with-instructions/6434

Your system is way faster than mine, so I'd just check my middle of thread settings to start and adjust up from there.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks guys

I threw in the towel. I spent 3 solid days tweeking the crud out of the Oculus, but I could never get the gauges to read well enough. I was staining too much. The overall experience was good, the immersion is just awsum! I just couldnt get it well enough, even with fiddling with the available mods. I will be looking to upgrade my GPU in the near future, along with a headset with more resolution. I appreciate all the help that i received here guys, have fun all!

I threw in the towel. I spent 3 solid days tweeking the crud out of the Oculus, but I could never get the gauges to read well enough. I was staining too much. The overall experience was good, the immersion is just awsum! I just couldnt get it well enough, even with fiddling with the available mods. I will be looking to upgrade my GPU in the near future, along with a headset with more resolution. I appreciate all the help that i received here guys, have fun all!

What aircraft are you flying ? In the Hornet , I have no prob reading the DDI's and gauges (with a little lean-in) and the HUD and IFEI (without) . The Albatross , with its over-sized gauges is very easy to read as well . I'm running 1.3-1.4 pd , and MSAA 2x , and would think your 980ti could do that as well . No mods here...Nvidea settings default , no Oculus settings enabled .

Are you wearing glasses ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I was wearing glasses as they yielded noticeable - favorable results. I was running tests between the Huey and Hornet. Instruments were fuzzy on both, even with some lean in. I got upto about 1.5 before mu FPS started taking big hits. I read alot and performed countless configs to graphics. Just didnt work out for me. The last straw was when I got dialed in as best as possible for the cockpit, then rose up about 150 ft with the Huey, and the terrain was simply awful for me. I am going to rethink all this, if im going to do anything, its gonna be expensive to get a 2080ti and a headset that has better res. I might be waiting a year before I jump into that cash commitment.

Do you think maybe that you need a different glasses prescription for your RIFT? Can you clearly see the 'screen door effect' of the RIFT display when you hold your head still and study a smooth toned area of the image?

My rig was similar to yours before I upgraded the GPU and was getting lovely crisp displays in DCS with my GTX 980.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I dont think I need different glasses, I see excellent up close to read without glasses, then I have a script for using the PC, then I have a pair for distance/driving. It was evident that the distance glasses offered the best result. I was able to see the screen door effect easily

Fakum,

Not an optician, and since i dont wear glasses this may be not helpful but it might be worth it to ask your optician as to what "should" work. Both short range reading glasses and longer range driving glasses make some sense to me.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The res setting does not effect the VR res. But your card still has to draw the onscreen image, so the less pixels its pushing to draw that the better, since you can see it anyway. In fact someone reccomended changing the whole windows res to lowest possible, which migh net a bit more performance, same comment for running in full screen mode (alt enter).

Filtering sort of helps, and performance wise it doesnt seem to cost much.

I really didn't think that mattered. My interpretation was that for the Monitor there's no rendering done, it's just a mirrored image from one of the VR lenses. I'm sure it takes a bit of processing to display the image, but since it's not rendering anything extra, that power would be extremely minimal. Am I wrong with this assumption?

I really didn't think that mattered. My interpretation was that for the Monitor there's no rendering done, it's just a mirrored image from one of the VR lenses. I'm sure it takes a bit of processing to display the image, but since it's not rendering anything extra, that power would be extremely minimal. Am I wrong with this assumption?

No .

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Fakum,

Not an optician, and since i dont wear glasses this may be not helpful but it might be worth it to ask your optician as to what "should" work. Both short range reading glasses and longer range driving glasses make some sense to me.

I actually had an eye exam a week prior to purchasing and I did inquire. They thought that was a very interesting question and admitted thiw was uncharted territory for them. They suspected it would be the long distance glasses that would be more suitable, and they indeed were.

I actually had an eye exam a week prior to purchasing and I did inquire. They thought that was a very interesting question and admitted thiw was uncharted territory for them. They suspected it would be the long distance glasses that would be more suitable, and they indeed were.

Glad you got it sorted. Infinity focus seems like a better choice from an eyestrain perspective.

I don't think it matters much if you are running a high end machine, but I do see an effect (~5 fps IIRC) on a low end system like mine. I saw a way a dramatic difference with a different flight sim but thats an apples/oranges comparison since the rendering engine is different.

IIRC, for CV1, the focal distance was 2 meters. It was mentioned in some presentations in the past.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

that seems to jive with my experience

Haha have you guys checked your fps on a monitor? I'm pushing like 168 lol. Struggle constantly to maintain 45 in VR.

I dunno. More I read about this, more I respect Oculus engineering, the happier I am it'll run on a 1070 or Vega, and the more skeptical I am that VR will ever approach monitor resolution without dcs going multi-thread, multi-gpu. Which I guess they are moving that direction. Meanwhile, maybe it's just me, but I can't get myself excited about the 2080ti. Seems like a lot of money to still be looking at fuzzy ddi's

Looking forward to the day when a twin Vega setup is considered the shiznit. It could happen!

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

50-70 for me albeit with higher settings. So im happy worh 45 in vr...

VR won’t approach monitor resolutions for many, many years.

i wouldn’t hold your breath, or your mortgage.

I dunno, once it gets to like 30ppd it should be "ok"... Its currently about half that for the current best. I'm hoping for low/mid 20's this year or next. 2160x2160 with a 100 degree FOV should be pretty good (assuming a card can drive it).