Theoretical Dumb Question?

Naruto

Yeah, I know, not US made = meaningless :doh:

If you understand how it works, then why post it anyway? :megalol:

Back to topic, even with a highly manoeverable missile, it still needs a turn circle and it needs to change it's vector from (aircraft speed) to 0 deg. (forward) to (missile speed) 180deg (backwards). These things take time, so the bandit most likely have the time to fire it's own missile, no matter how outdated, or use it's guns. And if the bandit has the common sense to switch off his radar, your missile still wouldn't have any guidance as it was mentioned that the missile would guided by RWR before acquiring the target in the missile gimbal (which is still only the forward hemisphere).

So in my opinion, maybe it's possible but it's not in any way practical. Although I guess it could be nice to have the possibility in some circumstances.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

If you understand how it works, then why post it anyway? :megalol:

Back to topic, even with a highly manoeverable missile, it still needs a turn circle and it needs to change it's vector from (aircraft speed) to 0 deg. (forward) to (missile speed) 180deg (backwards). These things take time, so the bandit most likely have the time to fire it's own missile, no matter how outdated, or use it's guns. And if the bandit has the common sense to switch off his radar, your missile still wouldn't have any guidance as it was mentioned that the missile would guided by RWR before acquiring the target in the missile gimbal (which is still only the forward hemisphere).

So in my opinion, maybe it's possible but it's not in any way practical. Although I guess it could be nice to have the possibility in some circumstances.

It's practical in a situation where there's just been a head-on pass. The HOBS+LOAL missile can be fired after the enemy jet just before of just after the pass. Now in a typical merge there would be an opportunity to fire well before this but between ROEs and dogfight chaos, the situation could be different.

The launch platform vs target speed differential and distance are the same for both missiles but the missile being fired OTS has to do a 180deg turn, so it can't possibly have an advantage unless it has a massive inherent kinematic advantage besides.

To be fair, the MICA does have impressive range for a dogfighting missile, at least from what I've read.

To be fair, the MICA does have impressive range for a dogfighting missile, at least from what I've read.

It does, but a missile does not gain a higher range advantage just from being fired OTS and some people are making a dodgy assumption that the pursuing pilot will just keep flying straight forward and won't have fired first. It's a useful capability to have in a multi-adversary fur-ball and a better alternative to thrust vectoring and Cobras (since it doesn't expend energy) but not one to be relied upon. The realistic advantage is more in HOBS and HMCS, which avoids having to put an adversary in a smack-bang 12 o'clock position on the HUD and can also give you an awareness of adversaries on a 360deg basis from 3rd party data comms and systems like EODAS. It would make Top Gun very boring though.

Edited by Emu

It does, but a missile does not gain a higher range advantage just from being fired OTS and some people are making a dodgy assumption that the pursuing pilot will just keep flying straight forward and won't have fired first. It's a useful capability to have in a multi-adversary fur-ball and a better alternative to thrust vectoring and Cobras (since it doesn't expend energy) but not one to be relied upon. The realistic advantage is more in HOBS and HMCS, which avoids having to put an adversary in a smack-bang 12 o'clock position on the HUD and can also give you an awareness of adversaries on a 360deg basis from 3rd party data comms and systems like EODAS. It would make Top Gun very boring though.

Oh yeah for sure, all I meant was that if for whatever reason you're going to try a fancy shot like that, out of modern missiles the MICA may be the best suited to it because of its kinematic performance.