DcsMax available

Skypat

Using the very start of battle track:

no affinity 23 fps

manual affinity 36 fps

jesse's 36 fps

dcsmax 36 fps

wombat's 36 fps

On a two core intel e5200/Vista 32bit. BTW from 1 core to 2 core 56% fps increase ^^

PD: If I remember correctly in HT cpus, core 0 is physical, core 1 is HT, core 2 is physical, core 3 is HT and so on. Just for you information if you didn't know (I suppose you already knew, just in case)

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to test wombat's but don't know how , I put the cmd thing in bin/ stable and run it and it says can't find launcher .

Here is a link to a post with the file and instructions: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=593129&postcount=10

You need to put it in the root KA-50 folder, not in bin\stable. Let me know if that works.

Note, that it will kick in 20-30 seconds after you get in the cockpit, so make sure you wait a little before measuring the FPS...

Edited by wombat778

Here is a link to a post with the file and instructions: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=593129&postcount=10

You need to put it in the root KA-50 folder, not in bin\stable. Let me know if that works.

Note, that it will kick in 20-30 seconds after you get in the cockpit, so make sure you wait a little before measuring the FPS...

thanks wombat778 , if I run it as is , it loads the game but doesn't set affinity , so I get 19 fps , if I right click it and try to run it with admin rights it can't find the launcher.exe

I tried to set admin rights to it in the file's properties but the option is greyed out .

ohh and I let it run for 5 min to be sure that it had the time it needed.

[sIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/madmaxx69/LOMAC/Rykesig1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Savage 77th , http://s77th.com

|Core i7 920|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|GTX 285|9600GT-OC|6G DDR3|Softh on 3x22"CRTs|Tir2|yeahIsaidTir2|X-45|Haf 932|Vista Ultimate 64|

ok ...

After ckecking, DcsMax code is good, some of you seeing only 4 cores on I7 system have wrong bios settings

here is an alternate exe, i have set 8 cores inside (i don't call the API windows)

all the checkbox will be enabled

please test it, run it and run dcs.exe to verify that affinity is well set on 8 processors by DcsMax

you can verify with taskmanager

http://www.checksix-fr.com/files/dcsmax/dcsMax_i7_test.exe

stepbystep

1-run DcsMax_i7_test.exe

2- click on sologame

2b-select instant action

3- wait for cockpit

4- do ALT+TAB

5- go to task manager

6- select process

7- select dcs.Exe in process list then right click/set affinity

8- check that 8 cores are checked

for I7(4 cores + 4 Hyperthreading) owners or AMD owners (4 cores + 4 Hyperthreading)

Intel I7 owners, if you don't have 8 cores available in windows task manager, it means that your bios settings are false

thx

Edited by Skypat

Could be. I haven't tested it on a C2D because I don't have one. But, at least on my quadcore, waiting longer makes a rather large difference...

May be related to process priority? maybe if you raise dcs.exe prority one notch, Windows will set affinity differently and you won't need to wait anymore. I'm just guessing, but waiting 30 seconds and getting better results sounds to me Windows "feels" that process is interesting to the user thus giving it more cpu "share". Haha I know it sounds weird, but who knows.

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

ok ...

i think that windows API return only 4 processors even for I7

i think that HT is not counted as processors by windows API function

it may explain why you see only 4 checkbox enabled

here is an alternate exe, i have set 8 cores inside (i don't call the API windows)

all the checkbox will be enabled

please test it, run it and run dcs.exe to verify that affinity is well set on 8 processors by DcsMax

you can verify with taskmanager

http://www.checksix-fr.com/files/dcsmax/dcsMax_i7_test.exe

stepbystep

1-run DcsMax_i7_test.exe

2- click on sologame

2b-select instant action

3- wait for cockpit

4- do ALT+TAB

5- go to task manager

6- select process

7- select dcs.Exe in process list then right click/set affinity

8- check that 8 cores are checked

for I7(4 cores + Hyperthreading) owners or AMD owners (4 cores + Hyperthreading)

thx

first of all , thanks for your hard work , it is apreciated .

with your DCStest just provided ,when I go to task manager and affinity , I only see 4 cores and they are all ticked . I'm getting 26 fps .

problem might very well be on my end .

I just got this system and still learning about it , I still haven't found how to see if I have hyper threading enabled or not . there is nothing in my P6T bios that refers to it and I'm still looking in my system properties , when I go to my device manager under processor I do see 8 processors . but only 4 in affinity and task manager's performance tab .

funny thing CPUZ utility reports only 2 cores and 4 threads so I might have a setting somewhere I don't know about , I'm working on it

:music_whistling::joystick::music_whistling:

[sIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/madmaxx69/LOMAC/Rykesig1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

|Core i7 920|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|GTX 285|9600GT-OC|6G DDR3|Softh on 3x22"CRTs|Tir2|yeahIsaidTir2|X-45|Haf 932|Vista Ultimate 64|

ok so my code is good ;)

i sended my DcsMax12a.zip utility today to a friend with I7 system and 8 checkbox are available/enabled (task manager & DcsMax)

you should have 8 cores(checkbox) in task manager on a I7 system

if you have only 4 in task manager, you will have only 4 in DcsMax.exe

your bios settings must be like that (INTEL HT & ACTIVE PROCESSOR CORE)

DSCN2447.jpg

same problem as you here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1375179

Edited by Skypat

ok so my code is good ;)

i sended my DcsMax12a.zip utility today to a friend with I7 system and 8 checkbox are available/enabled (task manager & DcsMax)

you should have 8 cores(checkbox) in task manager on a I7 system

if you have only 4 in task manager, you will have only 4 in DcsMax.exe

your bios settings must be like that (INTEL HT & ACTIVE PROCESSOR CORE)

DSCN2447.jpg

same problem as you here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1375179

OK , I'm blind and I had missed the bios setting , turns out I had to scroll down ... duh :prop:

so , my bios said hyperthreading was on , cores set to "all" , why I don't see 8 in task manager still eludes me .(I'll read that hardforum thread after lunch)

I turned off hyper threading and here are the results ;

FRAMERATES

BS without affinity ============== 20 fps

Affinity manually=================35fps

DCSMax 1.2a and test8cores========35 fps

to be sure I turned on hyperthreading again (still don't see 8 cores anywhere) and I got my "regular" 25 fps with both DCSMax

so hyperthreading off gave me a gain of 40% more fps and no difference now between setting affinity manually and with using DCSMax .

note about the DCSMaxtest "8 cores on" you provided me to test ; the pop up rectangle that says "affinity set" keeps popping up like crazy , I still see it popping "through" the cockpit .

thanks a bunch again , and I will update when I can properly test 8 cores .

OK , I now see 8 cores , your DCSMax1.2a works well .

it was msconfig/boot/advanced/4 cores was ticked by default .

framerates are the same with 8 cores truly reported under task manager . so 25 fps .

40% gain by turning off hyperthreading in bios . up to 35 fps .

will test some other games today to see if I will leave it off permanently .

thanks again !!

May be related to process priority? maybe if you raise dcs.exe prority one notch, Windows will set affinity differently and you won't need to wait anymore. I'm just guessing, but waiting 30 seconds and getting better results sounds to me Windows "feels" that process is interesting to the user thus giving it more cpu "share". Haha I know it sounds weird, but who knows.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with whether the affinity is set during mission loading or after mission loading. My guess is that if the affinity is set to all cores during mission loading, DCS.exe loads something differently than if set after the mission is loaded. At least, that was the conclusion I came to when I was writing my script.

While testing my script originally, I probably loaded Black Shark 100-200 times with different delays, while monitoring CPU load and logging the results. Based on reviewing that data, I concluded that the only way to be certain that Black Shark was getting all the performance possible out of the CPU reliably was to set the affinity after everything had finished loading. But, that was obviously only on my PC, so others mileage may vary.

do you know how to edit your registry ?

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Eagle Dynamics\BlackShark

then change the 'path' value to your english install

BTW you can also run BlackShark by official way (desktop shorcut), DcsMax will detect the launch and will set the affinity correctly ;)

Well of course that did it. Thanks! And thanks also to Wombat and Jesse for the earlier work/advice. All of you helped make DCS worth playing with Vista.

Regards,

Smokin' Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

i will add a delay value (30 by default like your advice) in the DcsMax windows so everybody will be able to choose/change this value.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with whether the affinity is set during mission loading or after mission loading. My guess is that if the affinity is set to all cores during mission loading, DCS.exe loads something differently than if set after the mission is loaded. At least, that was the conclusion I came to when I was writing my script.

While testing my script originally, I probably loaded Black Shark 100-200 times with different delays, while monitoring CPU load and logging the results. Based on reviewing that data, I concluded that the only way to be certain that Black Shark was getting all the performance possible out of the CPU reliably was to set the affinity after everything had finished loading. But, that was obviously only on my PC, so others mileage may vary.

Edited by Skypat

DcsMax 1.3 available

dcsMax13.jpg

---

- Affinity delay implemented: when your cpu have more than 2 core, the others core will be set after a delay (default is 30s)

You can change this value as you want

when dcs.exe start, DcsMax set affinity on 2 cores, then after 30s DcsMax set affinity on all others cores

this will optimize your FPS (thx to wombat778 for the tips)

this settings is not available when you have only two core

- Doubleclick on button fixed (was launching 2 times an utility)

- when you close DcsMax, it will close also TrackIR (if the autorun/close checkbox is checked)

- fixed default directory issue for the 3 custom button utilities (now all custom utilities will be started correctly, ie: ModMan)

important note for intel I7 owners (or AMD with 4core + hyperthreading)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you don't have 8 cores available in windows task manager (and 8 checkbox available in DcsMax), it means:

- either your bios settings are false

- either in your msconfig/boot/advanced/, only 4 cores are ticked

- either both ;)

Download: http://www.checksix-fr.com/bibliotheque/index.php?Fichier=5777

first post updated

best regards

i will add a delay value (30 by default like your advice) in the DcsMax windows so everybody will be able to choose/change this value.

Thanks Skypat!

I have tested it, and unfortuantely it still has lower FPS than if I set the affinity manually. I _think_ this is because your tool sets the affinity on the first two cores right away, whereas the most increase is achieved by leaving the affinity on only 1 core, then setting the affinity to all cores after a delay.

In any event, I am more than happy to test for some non-public versions for you to get the problem nailed down. Let me know!

ok check MP please ;)

Thanks Skypat!

I have tested it, and unfortuantely it still has lower FPS than if I set the affinity manually. I _think_ this is because your tool sets the affinity on the first two cores right away, whereas the most increase is achieved by leaving the affinity on only 1 core, then setting the affinity to all cores after a delay.

In any event, I am more than happy to test for some non-public versions for you to get the problem nailed down. Let me know!

Pardon my interuption again, but im following this thread with great interest as I am now creating a tripple boot system (adding Windows 7 Ultimate 64) and going to compare to Vista Ultimate 64 and I am running the affinity script (DSCAff_4Core_MP). Will this newer tool offer me better performance or do I just stick with what Im using now? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

hello

DcsMax 1.4 is out

---

- With the testing help from wombat778

Affinity management changed: when your cpu have more than 2 core, all the core will be set after a delay (default is 30s)

You can change this value as you want

when dcs.exe start, only one core is working then after 30s DcsMax will set affinity on all others cores

this method is better than method introduced in 1.3 version

this will assure you the best fps (same as wombat778 DSCAff script)

DcsMax14.jpg

Download: http://www.checksix-fr.com/bibliotheque/index.php?Fichier=5777

thx Wombat778 for your help

best regards

Skypat

Edited by Skypat

Pardon my interuption again, but im following this thread with great interest as I am now creating a tripple boot system (adding Windows 7 Ultimate 64) and going to compare to Vista Ultimate 64 and I am running the affinity script (DSCAff_4Core_MP). Will this newer tool offer me better performance or do I just stick with what Im using now? Thanks

hello

same performance with 1.4 version, not better (compared to your script).

best regards

Skypat

"(same as wombat778 DSCAff script)", so there is no reason for me to convert if Im already using wombats script is how I interpret this statement.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Frakin, are you asking the same question that has already been asked 3 times in this thread, or is it different then what I have already asked twice???