Engine always gets on fire while sling load

nessuno0505

I've built a simple mission to train in sling load; I've checked total weight of helicopter, fuel and load (I have not understood why in the mission editor the "planned load" section can't be filled with keyboard to do math - so what's its use for? - but that's maybe for another topic) and I'm within parameters and do not exceed maximum allowed weight (even after having hooked my load), but after a while - and without any instruments warning - the engine gets on fire and I crash. Where is my mistake? Is this a bug?

but after a while - and without any instruments warning - the engine gets on fire and I crash. Where is my mistake? Is this a bug?

Its because of two factors:

1) The Engine power model is off. Engine cannot produce the power it should without the EGT getting to high. In real life this would detoriate your engine if you did fly with to high EGT. How much and when, we really dont know. The model seems to be quite ok in that perspective.

This means you can’t use the performance charts and you can not fly the helo as heavy as it should be possible to do.

2) The engine catching fire is because of the engine damage model. This is not right either, because a helicopter turbine engine doesnt catch fire dou to flying with to high EGT. It would detoriate depending of how much over the EGT limit it could be anything between ’Expensive overhaul when doing normal service’ to ’engine break down in flight’.

But it wouldnt catch fire. Turbine engines typiccaly catches fire when a fuel line breaks or the oil system starts leaking. I dont know if they know this and will fix this also.

Anyway, fixing 1) will make 2) become a non factor when flying inside the limits.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

if you fly to the limits then the engine will not catch fire.

if you suddenly find the huey catching fire after flying it for years, then for years you have been ignoring the limits.

which means after years of flying you are still a peter pilot.

me I flew to the limits back before there was EGT damage.

and I fly to the limits now. (the new limits are HIGHER than they were before damage)

and I have never had an engine fail.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

First of all: I am a Peter pilot, since I've bought uh-1h with summer sales that ended last week.

Yes, maybe the problem was EGT limit. Without sling load maybe I never reached too high EGT values since less torque was needed to lift; attaching a load, even within total load parameters, have made me insist too much on the collective thus reaching too high EGT values. I'm fine. I have to try again to see if I can lift with a sling load keeping my collective lower. Just one note: if it can be so dangerous to overcome EGT limits, why not adding a warning light? Ok, there's a gauge with an orange zone and you have to watch it, but if the engine can stop suddenly and without warning, maybe a warning light should illuminate when you reach too high EGT (but that's not ED fault if Bell engineers did not put it on).

Edited by nessuno0505

I have zero empirical evidence, but I also find the EGT limits are off. Or not the limits, but the temperature modeling. I mean it's next to impossible to take off vertically with a fully loaded Huey, let alone one with sling loads.

In all the books I've read, the problem was pulling too much torque and losing RPM when trying to take off with a heavy plane. In DCS you never get this, because you'll redline the EGT well before that.

Last I remember reading before the merge of ed and bellsemic they were aware of the inaccuracies and were going to change the engine model. I don’t recall the exact fix but iirc below a certain altitude one model would be used and above that they would use the egr model to simulate rl conditions. But have seen anything more

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Just one note: if it can be so dangerous to overcome EGT limits, why not adding a warning light? Ok, there's a gauge with an orange zone and you have to watch it, but if the engine can stop suddenly and without warning, maybe a warning light should illuminate when you reach too high EGT (but that's not ED fault if Bell engineers did not put it on).

TL;DR:

The DCS Huey engine EGT and Torque model are being revised after the initial damage model introduced in 1.5.8.

Detail:

IRL Torque and EGT exceedances are noted in a flight log, etc. and engine/gearbox examined for damage/wear.

Accelerated engine wear causes loss of engine performance and the helicopter eventually failing a subsequent pre-flight 'power check', if the engine hasn't been exchanged/serviced.

In rare cases temperature cycling fatigue can cause turbine blades/stators to break off and cause sudden loss of power. IRL incidents, the damage was attributed to previous flights, not the flight the failure occurred.

DCS's Huey "engine fire" is a game mechanism to prevent abuse of RL engine/gearbox limits and the equivalent of the F-15C's wings breaking off because the pilot exceeded +9G for too long. IMHO a better damage model would be higher EGT's with increasing loss of engine power unless 'nursed' back to base. The Harrier doesn't let engine damage be repaired, rather players need to spawn a new airframe, which while hash - is probably more realistic.

Real Life Limitations (Simplified Explanation):

At sea level @ 15°C, the engine produces 60 psi torque - more power than the gearbox can safely use (50 psi torque), so the primary flight instrument for max power is engine torque, limited to 50 psi (gearbox limitation).

As altitude increases, EGT increases and at around 4000 ft MSL, max engine exhaust gas temperature becomes the primary factor in governing the max available power. So the pilot uses EGT (615°C/625°C 30 min max) to govern Max. Power above that altitude (engine limitation).

At the moment EGT is too high in DCS and EGT's limit the power available at all altitudes. BST have acknowledged the issue and are working to implement a solution.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3525344&postcount=2

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080