Radar Antennae Elevation and throttle setting issues

Hey all,

Im using TWCS throttle and im having some issues with setting it to my likening. the antenna wheel works +1/0/-1 so i need to get it back to the middle every time im using the gain and thats annoying.. the other problem im having is with setting the throttle to work from min RPM to MAX (both MIL and AFT) atm it moves very aggressively and very hard to be precise.

would appreciate some help and wisdom on the matter.

thanks in advance..

:helpsmilie:

FlighRIG => CPU: i7 8700k | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3200Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 3080 | OS Storage: SSD DCS Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 1TB, | Device: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS | VR headset: HP reverb G2

חתימה SPIKE אינטראקטיבי.gif

Yea I'm also trying to figure out why this is still screwed up. Every other plane in DCS uses the Dial for Radar Elevation. It's incredibly annoying having to adjust to a different way of operating the radar for a single plane and then going back to the normal method for every other aircraft.

Please make Radar Elevation work properly with a Dial like every other plane in DCS!!!

Can't you define the radar elevation as an axis? I dont have a TWCS so not sure but worth taking a look, go to axis commands and assign it there.

Regarding the throttle not being precise i dont quite understand what kind of problem you are experiencing, the axis should be as precise as your throttle is (supposing you are not playing with curves).

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Can't you define the radar elevation as an axis? I dont have a TWCS so not sure but worth taking a look, go to axis commands and assign it there.

Regarding the throttle not being precise i dont quite understand what kind of problem you are experiencing, the axis should be as precise as your throttle is (supposing you are not playing with curves).

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk[/quote

The problem is that every little touch in the throttle send it either to idle or to full thrust, its really not sensitive and not accurate , its like a little push of the throttle forward sends the engine to 100% thrust... i d'ont know how to fix that

FlighRIG => CPU: i7 8700k | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3200Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 3080 | OS Storage: SSD DCS Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 1TB, | Device: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS | VR headset: HP reverb G2

The problem is that every little touch in the throttle send it either to idle or to full thrust, its really not sensitive and not accurate , its like a little push of the throttle forward sends the engine to 100% thrust... i d'ont know how to fix that

zivi is online now Report Post

Thing is that i cant define some of the buttons on the throttle in the DCS settings for a reason that is beyond my knowledge. it just wouldnt let me. so im using T.A.R.G.E.T by Thrust master to define my HOTAS profile but there i cant do all those things you mentioned.

Lets start from the basic, if you open your throttle calibration page either in TARGET or directly from the windows controller page your throttle is working fine? With the full motion from 0 to maximum and everything in between?

If thats the case it sounds like you have assigned the throttle axis to 2 different axis of your hotas which is causing problems, try going to the axis command page within DCS and clear all axis, and after that assign your throttle to the throttle axis, this should fix your problem.

Lets start from the basic, if you open your throttle calibration page either in TARGET or directly from the windows controller page your throttle is working fine? With the full motion from 0 to maximum and everything in between?

If thats the case it sounds like you have assigned the throttle axis to 2 different axis of your hotas which is causing problems, try going to the axis command page within DCS and clear all axis, and after that assign your throttle to the throttle axis, this should fix your problem.

The throttle works fine, no problem there..

Hey all,

Im using TWCS throttle and im having some issues with setting it to my likening. the antenna wheel works +1/0/-1 so i need to get it back to the middle every time im using the gain and thats annoying.. the other problem im having is with setting the throttle to work from min RPM to MAX (both MIL and AFT) atm it moves very aggressively and very hard to be precise.

would appreciate some help and wisdom on the matter.

thanks in advance..

:helpsmilie:

dose anyone knows why i cant set the antenna (i move it in order to assign it to the radar but nothing happens) as if DCS dose not recognize the button.

Well the elevation wheel is modeled it like it is in the real thing, its just that the real one is spring loaded that recenters itself when released. I suppose this is extra annoying if TWCS rotary doesn't have a center notch. Have you tried using it without target installed? Its possible that target itself is conflicting with DCS control setup.

Well the elevation wheel is modeled it like it is in the real thing, its just that the real one is spring loaded that recenters itself when released. I suppose this is extra annoying if TWCS rotary doesn't have a center notch. Have you tried using it without target installed? Its possible that target itself is conflicting with DCS control setup.

Well, in the game settings i cant even bind the button and i dont understand why..

Problem solved!! Thanks allot to everyone

I just purchased the FCS flight pack today and have some questions.

1. How do I map the throttle mouse to move my actual mouse?
  2. I find I'm all over the runway trying to use the pedals. Granted I've always used a twist j-stick and may need time to adjust. Is there some do and don't do things I need to focus on.
  3. As for the radar elevation antenna yes it's too bad there isn't a center detent but is there a center command in the DCS software?
  4. How do you set the throttle so that it uses the first 20% of the throw. Currently that seems to be dead space, I think for the off/idle?

1. Depends on the joystick, but the option is under "axis commands"

2. Turn on anti-skid for the takeoff roll, which will disable NWS

3. Not that I know of, but the return-to-search function will recenter it

4. Depends on the joystick, but options can be found in "axis tune" under "axis commands" for creating custom curves

• 3 weeks later...

Any news here? I dont know, but since last patch I have even bigger problems, that RX axis assigned to RAD ELEV is much more sensitive. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO SOMETHING WITH THIS. Make the possibility to control RAD ELEV by AXIS with liear function of elev angle, not by exponential function like now it is.

• ED Team

Not him, but TWCS actually has a spring loaded switch that mirrors the Hornet throttle and should be used as an antenna elevation switch instead. It also has the analog paddles if someone wants more axis travel for control. So there are multiple ways to map the antenna elevation to a more suited input on TWCS, no need to use the rotary at all

Other setups don't have this though. I use an X52 Pro and with every other module I can just set the antenna elevation to the RX rotary, mirroring the setup on the F-16C TQS, which the X52 throttle is loosely based on. This includes the F-15, which IRL uses a spring loaded switch just like the F-18C. F-18C is the only one that stands out. Even though the X52 has a notch in the middle, it's still a chore to control it, particularly because of the potentiometer drift that the X52 rotaries have when in the center notch. Similar issues apply to the X55 and X56. The VirPil and VKB throttles are both based on eastern HOTAS setups, with a range dial.

There are cases where a compromise has to be made between realism and practical/technical aspects of the sim and this is one of those cases. There is literally one throttle on the market that can have the antenna elevation mapped correctly for the Hornet right now and it's a mid-range fidelity throttle. Every other one requires an alternative absolute axis.

• 3 weeks later...
Not him, but TWCS actually has a spring loaded switch that mirrors the Hornet throttle and should be used as an antenna elevation switch instead. It also has the analog paddles if someone wants more axis travel for control. So there are multiple ways to map the antenna elevation to a more suited input on TWCS, no need to use the rotary at all

Other setups don't have this though. I use an X52 Pro and with every other module I can just set the antenna elevation to the RX rotary, mirroring the setup on the F-16C TQS, which the X52 throttle is loosely based on. This includes the F-15, which IRL uses a spring loaded switch just like the F-18C. F-18C is the only one that stands out. Even though the X52 has a notch in the middle, it's still a chore to control it, particularly because of the potentiometer drift that the X52 rotaries have when in the center notch. Similar issues apply to the X55 and X56. The VirPil and VKB throttles are both based on eastern HOTAS setups, with a range dial.

There are cases where a compromise has to be made between realism and practical/technical aspects of the sim and this is one of those cases. There is literally one throttle on the market that can have the antenna elevation mapped correctly for the Hornet right now and it's a mid-range fidelity throttle. Every other one requires an alternative absolute axis.

Have to chime in and say I'd like an absolute value for the Radar Elevation on an axis as well as opposed to a relative axis. Might be different if I had a spring loaded axis that returns to center to use, but the old warthog throttle doesn't provide such.

For now it's just easier to use a hatswitch than the slider I use for radar elevation in any other aircraft with a2a radar.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.