F-16 pilot G tolerance

bies

bb8.png

LOL ;)

1G is also pretty much what you pull when sitting on the brakes during towing at 10MPH (once the initial acceleration has been overcome). I tell you, I damned near blacked out during that manoeuvre. Thank god for the fleecy goodness of that inclined bang-seat. Don't get me started on the altitude problems all the way up there in that cockpit. Talk about nosebleed territory.

Lots of people are making jokes but I think it's a good question. Assuming that pilot fitness level between all modules is equal, and knowing that the reclined seat in the Viper was intended to increase G-tolerance (Wags even mentioned it directly in the intro video) I think it's reasonable to wonder if ED intends to actually model this in the sim.

I passed out pulling 1G on my sofa after lunch.

Very good !!! :lol:

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

LOL ;)

1G is also pretty much what you pull when sitting on the brakes during towing at 10MPH (once the initial acceleration has been overcome). I tell you, I damned near blacked out during that manoeuvre. Thank god for the fleecy goodness of that inclined bang-seat. Don't get me started on the altitude problems all the way up there in that cockpit. Talk about nosebleed territory.

That's nothing, one time after swinging my right leg over to get out of the cockpit and started climbing down, I didn't not pay attention and pulled almost negative .00001 G's, good thing I had my field jacket on which helped out a lot.

Close call. Glad you are OK. PS Yes combat gear saved many an airman from a fate worse than death. I assume yours were just as great at camouflaging you on a vast concrete pan as our Woodland pattern was?

@BiggBossN7: I'm pretty sure ED have already said that the G effects are being taken into account, so that the OP question is answered isn't it?

Edited by mkiii

Is increased pilot G tolerance due to inclined seat going to be modeled?

Maybe we should ask the same question again in the FW-190 subforums... same feature there. Basically you could measure the blood coloumn in every plane for a given sized pilot to get realistic tolerance factors.

I've read all Viper pilots had neck problems. The hardest part is looking back.

Well, I just went over to flying in VR. The big advantage is a lot better SA and much easier perception of room, making formation flying and AAR a wholly different thing compared to flying on a screen. The big disadvantage is the total impossibility to look back... who needs a bubble canopy if you can't turn your head even 90 degrees and are strapped to the seat so you can't even turn your body inside a cramped cockpit either? The most I can get while still having my HOTAS is something 120-130ish degrees, barely being able to see my wings. And that's on a straight back swivel chair without being strapped to anything...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Don't forget that irl the harness is an inertia reel type, so in normal operation is unlocked and allows you to pull forwards and twist a little.

This chap seems to be able to look behind himself OK:-

Don't forget that irl the harness is an inertia reel type, so in normal operation is unlocked and allows you to pull forwards and twist a little.

This chap seems to be able to look behind himself OK:-

He's got a pretty flexible neck. He looks like an owl. :)

Buzz

Yep. As a relative of a Viper pilot I can attest to the neck issues,. Now I’m probably going to get them too, albeit slower because I’m only at 1G lol.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

In the real world, all F-16C Pilots have to pass a minimum threshold test in the Centrifuge in the RTU/IFF pipeline and depending on several body type factors, not all pilots handle the G's the same. Even two pilots matched on bio-stats (i.e., height, weight, muscle density, distance from heart to the brain, blood pressure, etc) would have different tolerances due to daily diet, dehydration, recent G-Currency, and several other factors. Almost all USAF Performance Fighter Pilots (the guys that fly more puke-a-genic prone aircraft) do warmup G turns before practice engagements to build G-Onset awareness...this means that a particular pilot might know his or her average G-Tolerances but the warmup exercise will give an indication of that day's G-conditioning and this allows he or she to know any current limitations to avoid GLOC and disaster. Of course my information is over a decade old but the facets around G-tolerance and human factors in this subject are mostly the same. During my 1-year tour at Kunsan in the 35th, we converted to the COMBAT EDGE system and although it gives you a better tolerance advantage to pulling Gs, the main benefit of CE is that pilots can go out and perform multiple high-G engagements in a single day and be less fatigued afterwards. I'm sure ED will model a decent G environment for the VIPER eventually, but let's just hope they remember to hook up the Canopy Releases and not leave them unconnected like in the Tomcat and Hornet Pilot Flight Gear Modeling! ;^)

JUICE, Class of 1992-1993, 35th FS Pantons, 8 FW, Kunsan, South Korea

"PUSH IT UP!"

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]