Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home from Best Buy, love store pick-up only .8 miles from home :). The fit feels awkward but so did the Rift at first. Software is downloading now so I'll be airborne in a few minutes. The audio component is my biggest concern, ambient noise around the house as well as being able to use Voice attack.

Software is complete, here we go.

dsGsDlu.jpg

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I want it badly, though I haven't flown in a while due to relocation, but I am seeing that Rift S doesn't allow you to use a separate headset. That's a concern as I like the blotting out the noises around me with my Arctic. VR is so immersive but my concern is how much will the experience be tainted by all the ambient noises in the house around me that I currently don't have.

Thoughts?

You can get noise cancelling earbuds from Klipsch. They have other great earbuds without noise cancelling and I can tell you that they sound great - great bass.

Right now, I use a 5.1 speaker system that suits my requirements.

CapNPenguin, I have a few choice words to say to you... Mostly because I have to wait for a rift to arrive from the other side of the world while you have one on this page and on the previous page you had not yet decided to buy one!!!

:)

LOL Metalnwood, well if you want to bark at me, take a number and stand in line :).

I posted a video of a flight to help others make a decision by seeing the difference but Youtube reduced the resolution to 320 so it looks horrible. I'm trying to figure out how to get it uploaded at better res

Cap'n Penguin

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What are people setting the in game screen resolution to in the graphics settings? I’m not if it auto selects this setting.

It doesn't affect anything in VR, so it doesn't really matter. It's just the resolution of the mirror on the monitor. Theoretically lower res is better since since it would use less resources but it's probably negligible.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Here is a quick flight over Caucus with the Rift S. Initial impressions are the visual quality is better than the Rift, very noticeably better however there is more stutter, in particular when I look beyond 45 degrees left or right. You can see it in the video. In fact you can see it better than I could see that radio tower I plowed into :).

WKRP is off the air :). If anyone wants to see anything specific please let me know and I'll upload it for you

Please note I have not [optimized anything. I hit "High" on the graphics settings and took off.

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I posted a video of a flight to help others make a decision by seeing the difference but Youtube reduced the resolution to 320 so it looks horrible. I'm trying to figure out how to get it uploaded at better res

YouTube always uploads the crappy version first, and then the higher res ones take a bit of time. If you just leave it, it will eventually show up.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Here is a quick flight over Caucus with the Rift S. Initial impressions are the visual quality is better than the Rift, very noticeably better however there is more stutter, in particular when I look beyond 45 degrees left or right. You can see it in the video. In fact you can see it better than I could see that radio tower I plowed into :).

WKRP is off the air :). If anyone wants to see anything specific please let me know and I'll upload it for you

[/quote

Stuttering with that rig, what are your settings and pixel density?

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Please note I have not [optimized anything. I hit "High" on the graphics settings and took off.

Thanks for the video... I can see a huge improvement in clarity and colors. It looks so much more realistic!

I got my Rift S this afternoon. Wags was 100% dead on about the improvement in visual quality of the RiftS. I can read most or all of the text in the Hornet cockpit and even the F-14 cockpit's labels become somewhat legible. I can also more readily distinguish the location and aspect of air-to-air threats. Screen door effect is much less pronounced and the colors look great. If the Oculus Rift CV1 was equivalent to 800x600, the Rift S is 1024x768... a marked improvement even if it is nowhere near the awesome visual quality I am now seeing on a 4K 49-inch TV. I still plan to fly a 50/50 mix of flat panel/VR, but the VR just got a substantial improvement in quality. But the frame rates are now 80/40 instead of 90/45, and my system is mostly hovering at the 40 fps level. If I could maintain 80 fps with this visual quality, I would be very happy. I hope the VR performance improvements in DCS World help my current fps favor 80 rather than 40.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah it's weird. The original Rift runs it maxed out silky smooth. The S has some stutter, you can see it in both videos. I just uploaded another with some other aircraft around to see aircraft visual quality.

Quality is a major improvement, everything in the cockpit is clear and legible, both MFDs are crystal clear. The map display (bottom center) is still a little out of focus but that's it. Every switch and knob is clear.

Here is the second video.

Stand by for my settings.

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My settings, and please don't laugh at me. I have no clue what many of them do, such as pixel density. If anyone has thoughts on how to optimize I'd gladly love to hear them.

BKkG0Di.jpg

5xLAB5N.jpg

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shadows high may be killing you most VR use low and flat.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Yup shadows hit FPS hard, and draw distance as well. You'd benefit a lot dropping to High probably.

Pixel density is the resolution. 1.0 PD means the default resolution for the headset. Values >1 render the game at a higher resolution. Very hard on GPU but can increase text clarity. Was pretty much essential for CV1. Not sure about S since I don't have mine yet :)

The map display (bottom center) is still a little out of focus but that's it. Every switch and knob is clear.

I noticed that too, I think maybe ED needs to work on that a bit. So far I have ran at the same 2.1 PD as I was running my CV1 at, I am going to dial it back a bit and see what that does.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I haven't run a Rift since the Vive Pro and Odyssey came out (sold all 3 of our Rifts for those). What software do you need to run for the Rift S now, do you still run the Oculus Tray Tool along with the other software? My memory is spotty on this, again, it's been a while.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

First thoughts , just picked up my Oculus S from Best Buy today , definitely an improvement over CV1, everything much clearer especially cockpit which is the most important to me....stuttering seems aircraft dependent , no stuttering on same setttings F/a18 as compared to f14, well worth the upgrade, I have a IPD of 67.5, didn’t really notice any difference , set software IPD to 66. FOV barely different, increase in clarity well worth the upgrade. Also better fit for those of us that wear classes. miss the headphones , but I run my rig in a recording studio so just use my speakers. In ears great option for those that want headphone isolation.

I am happy to hear about the glasses. Mine are too wide to fit in the CV1 so I dont wear them. Every time I have my contacts on, not very often I get a little bump in clarity so if I can wear my glasses it should bw most impressive :)

If anyone is keen to remove the facial interface and see how close they can move the headset to their eyes and how much larger the fov is by doing it, I am happy to hear!

Nose gap IS there (thank you, Oculus!)! The rubber nose piece is detachable by design - check it out ;)

Now I've settled on a fitting I'm happy with, I now have a tiny nose gap. Just enough to see keyboard ok, but a bit more awkward than on CV1.

Just wondering if anyone else is getting an occasional white screen (like 1 or two frames of a noisy white) when flying? Had that a few times the first time I used it (for 2 hours) but only twice after lowering the pd from 1.4 to 1.3 on my 2nd session last night.

Wanting to know if it’s normal or I have a faulty hmd and sorry if my description is a bit rubbish, i had a late night ;)

Just wondering if anyone else is getting an occasional white screen (like 1 or two frames of a noisy white) when flying? Had that a few times the first time I used it (for 2 hours) but only twice after lowering the pd from 1.4 to 1.3 on my 2nd session last night.

Wanting to know if it’s normal or I have a faulty hmd and sorry if my description is a bit rubbish, i had a late night ;)

I've had a couple of flickers, not white screen, but multi coloured like the set is disconnecting for a tiny fraction of a second. Didn't think much of it, as I've not seen it anywhere else outside of DCS. I'll drop my PD to see if it happens again, currently on 1.5

Got my Rift S from Amazon today and tried it with DCS as well as most of the other current sims.

As mentioned above, it's definitely a worthwhile update from the Rift CV1. I cancelled my HP Reverb pre-order because the panel clarity with the Rift S is now quite good in all the sims I fly, and I can't imagine that driving the higher resolution of the Reverb isn't going to be really taxing on the system.

Posted a bunch of sim-focused impressions of the Rift S on my my blog.