[GUIDE] Traffic patterns, radio navigation and approach - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
MikeMikeJuliet

Post [GUIDE] Traffic patterns, radio navigation and approach

Hello fellow simmers!

During my time simming I've come across people from different backgrounds. Some know close to none of aviation but wish to learn. Some hail from a military background flying combat aircraft for real. And of course everything in between.

Whatever the background, there are those who just want to take their aircraft and go blow things up. On the other hand there are people like me, who wholeheartedly enjoy the whole flight from startup to shutdown.

I've written a guide for those enthusiasts who wish to know and learn how aerial navigation works and how to get an aircraft down safely following a procedure. I'm not suggesting this as any sort of "must read", for this is a hobby for all of us, and you should enjoy your hobby as you see fit. Still, I feel flying "seriously" from the beginning is a definite immersion factor and something at least I personally get a kick out of.

You know... that hair-raising IFR approach in minimum weather after a close-call combat scenario. Something that truly is an experience and something you want to tell your co-simmers about.

I've tried to write the document to be as easy to follow as possible. This way even those unfamiliar with the whole concept should be able to follow and understand.

Long story short, the link is here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Those who may be interested, the guide is made completely by me from personal experience, pictures and all. If you have any question regarding the document, please feel free to comment down below.

I sincerely hope this document helps those interested, and does NOT annoy those, who just want to go and blow thing up! Let's enjoy the hobby!

Regards,
MikeMikeJuliet

EDIT:
30JAN17 - added clarification for the abbreviation GS, that could also mean Ground Speed
- added other abbreviations of localizer in addition to LLZ (now: LOC, LLZ and LL)

Last edited by MikeMikeJuliet; 01-30-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Changelog
MikeMikeJuliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
Weasel

This is awesome, mate! Thanks a lot for this fantastic guide and for me as one who is very interested in learning these things just perfect!!!

Cheers Weasel
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
Kenta

Thank you for this guide. Much appreciated!
Kenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
grunf

Thanks!
grunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
pierreaf

Thanks a lot. Much appreciate.
pierreaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #7
Scooternutz
Campaign Testers

Outstanding! Added to my library of must reads.

Scooternutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:18 AM   #8
David OC

Good one MikeMikeJuliet

I spend time in the other sims from time to time and do a little IFR / VFR, Shhh don’t tell anyone.

It’s nice to mix it up in DCS, Sometimes I go from start to finish, organizing all the appropriate departure, arrival charts and checklists, sometimes even all the way down to fuel and weight.

Other times it’s nice to just fire up a quick mission in DCS and blow stuff up and dodge triple-A and forget about proper procedures.

Also HERE is a good compass image if anyone needs one with a Reciprocal Heading that can come in handy at times.

Just to add to your thread if you don’t mind MikeMikeJuliet, for those that are interested.

Another great simple KISS tutorial can be found HERE on this forum about TACAN Navigation, a must if you fly the F-5E. Need-To-Know also made the info he posted it into a PDF and can be found in his post HERE
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:09 AM   #9
ChillyWillies

Hey there!

Really appreciate your guide. These are things I've wanted to learn but I do better when I have an organized reading rather than videos. Thank you so much!
Spoiler:
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7
Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4
H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)
EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold
Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2
ChillyWillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
LawnDart

Good write-up, definitely worth reading!

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |
Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |
TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |
LawnDart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, ifr, landing, navigation, vrf