Chuck's F-86F Sabre Guide

Charly_Owl

Nice share :thumbup: Great job..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Really nice guide outstanding job, thanks!

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Great work Charly, here are my own thanks to reinforce general community gratitude.

And the idea to put in the end the bibliography with YT channels has added an extra value to your work. Maybe we (community) should consolidate all those resources in a very same manner for all toys in DCS.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Thank you folks, I appreciate your kind words. I did put a lot of time and effort into it, but I cannot wait for Belsimtek's manual, which will probably be much more detailed than what I did. Hopefully this quick-guide can be a temporary measure to get acquainted with the Sabre without being overwhelmed by the amount of information.

I was wondering, is there an aircraft or rotorcraft in particular that you would like to see a guide about? I was thinking of maybe doing the MiG-15 a month of 2 after its release in february, but I didn't have any luck finding an english manual.

Im selfish Chuck do them all !!!!! Its snowy where your at, two cans of redbull and a bottle of whiskey and you'll be good to knock out the remaining modules. S!

Aggressiveness was a fundamental to success in air-to-air combat and if you ever caught a fighter pilot in a defensive mood you had him licked before you started shooting.

— Captain David McCampbell, USN, leading U.S. Navy ace in WWII

Fantastic work Chuck,thank you very much Sir!

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Good stuff Chuck, maybe this little doc will encourage me to learn using navigation aids in F-86, 'cause I haven't gone beyond simple IFR flying and shooting stuff yet :).

If you don't mind, I'd like to point out some errors I found in it so far:

a) The pic on page 12 has "jettison outboard tanks" mentioned twice;

b) Page 4, startup procedure point 14 - the hydro system light will not go out above 50% RPM, or any RPM for that matter. You have to reset the flight ctrl switch to make it go off, and you have to do it when the engine is already running, not before startup as point 4 suggests (flipping the switch when the engine is not running doesn't do anything useful).

c) The rocket intervalometer does not set number of rockets fired in auto mode. What it does is selecting which rocket station is going to fire first, for example if you rotate the switch to no.9 the firing sequence will start with rocket no.9 and go all the way to no. 16, either in auto or manual mode. Then it will auto-reset to no.1. Note - the upper rocket on the rack cannot launch if the lower one on the same rack is still there. The lower rockets have odd numbes, the upper ones have even numbers, so by default you should always select the intervalometer to odd rocket number when starting your rocket attack. I haven't checked what happens when you switch the even number though (maybe the sequence "jumps" to next lower rocket station?). I see you used some pics from "T.O. 1F-86F-1" manual, so jump to page 4-40 to check the exact stations numbering if you want to do some further testing in DCS.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of doing one for the Huey but I'm not gonna have a whole lotta time in the upcoming months. It'll come eventually but only when my schedule allows for it. These things take more time than you'd expect. I actually have to sit down and go through the whole manual just to get an idea of what I should know, what's relevant and how I can explain it all in simple terms.

The upcoming guides in order of priority are:

1) MiG-15bis

2) Spitfire Mk. IX

3) P-40F

4) MiG-21bis

5) UH-1H

Nitpicking continues :D. Chuck, I've noticed that part of Your guide describing bombing in Manual Pip Control mentions switching the gunsight mode selector to "bomb" (page 46). Real life manual says it should be switched to "gun", though (kinda counterintuitive, but apparently that's how this MPC thingy worked).

I suppose one can release bombs anyway, no matter where the switch is, but with wrong (lower) position of pipper display, accuracy will be a problem. You might want to double-check this part for next revision of Your guide.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks for this awesome guide Charlie!!

When I put it on my Android tablet and import it into a pdf library it shows up as "DCS P-51D GUIDE", not the Sabre guide. But I was able to rename it.

When I look at the PDF Document Properties on my computer in Adobe Reader it has the Document Title as DCS P-51D GUIDE. Just fyi..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the guide, Chuck. Your guide is a great resource for the F86F fanboys, like myself. I can't wait to download your Mig-15bis guide. You are a lot of help, Chuck!

Also, thanks for recommending, "No Guts, No Glory." I gave it the scanning the morning NY Times and Wall Street Journal treatment. There is a wealth of information that I could not adequately process. This coming Saturday morning, I am going to make an effort to read through carefully and put his advice to memory, so I can start to use my Sabre in a highly effective manner.

:thumbup: MJ