Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

When I go to the options drop down and then go to kneeboard profiles, the only choice I am given is RESTORE DEFAULTS. I had previously made an F18 profile, but know I cannot get to it. Why?

When the kb is in the task bar and I left click it, I get a drop down that includes PROFILES>f18>MY F18 profile.

You don't have Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Modify?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I have a question, I am trying to add a Hornet checklist, I made a Word document, saved it as a PDF, imported it and found the .png file. When opened it all the text was garbage. What did I do wrong?

Check the PDF file you exported. Can you display it normally? Did you create it with default settings?

Secondly when I goto preferences and tell it where my DCS folder is it will revert back the C drive.. meaning that after I browse to F:\program files\eagle dynamics etc etc and click save it will revert back to C:\ Program files\eagle dynamics \etc etc. so the files end up in the wrong directory.

A problem is that when I place the file in the right place they don’t show up on the kneeboard during flight.

Thank for your help 8n advance

Did you install DCS directly into 'F:\program files\eagle dynamics'?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

No 'Default Profile' to resize?

New to Kneeboard builder

(EDIT: had to run 'administrator'

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Capt. Orso

You don't have Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Modify? NO. I do not. That is what is so weird.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Capt. Orso

You don't have Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Modify? NO. I do not. That is what is so weird.

Happened to me You have to run KBB as administrator

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

majapahit

Just tried to run it as administrator, but still the Modify did not show up.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

majapahit

Just tried to run it as administrator, but still the Modify did not show up.

Same here. The other problem I have is that it only works if you install DCS on the C drive. I have it on my F drive and I change the path in Preferences but it does not remember it every time I go back in it back the C Drive.

I would like it to work

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

In preferences, the openbeta directory is correctly shown as in the F drive and the saved games folder is correctly shown as in the C drive. I am running this app from the F drive. No joy on the modify command.

The thing with having an installation on a different disk, is that during installation, DCS creates entries into the registry, which can then be referenced by any application to search for the installation location, and DCS AFAIK does not necessarily use these to run. So DCS will run normally, and other apps wont.

That is why I asked if the installation was made directly into 'F:\program folders\Eagle Dynamics\..'

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I cannot recall where the OB was first installed. It might have been to my old D drive. Now it is in F:/Eagle Dynamics/OpenBeta.

I cannot recall where the OB was first installed. It might have been to my old D drive. Now it is in F:/Eagle Dynamics/OpenBeta.

I had to use 'custom' as the DCS version and path to get it working (and as admin)

"I had to use 'custom' as the DCS version and path to get it working (and as admin)"

That was it. Thanks.

2019-03-10 08:39:05.441 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'pilot_f18_fp_kneeboard' not found. Asked from 'NGMODEL'
2019-03-10 08:39:20.268 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Can't load image 'C:\Users\mxerm\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000068DE.lua'. Reason: The request is not supported.

2019-03-10 08:39:20.960 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Can't load image 'C:\Users\mxerm\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis0000330D.lua'. Reason: The request is not supported.

2019-03-10 08:39:21.325 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Can't load image 'C:\Users\mxerm\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis000076CA.lua'. Reason: The request is not supported.

2019-03-10 08:39:21.612 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Can't load image 'C:\Users\mxerm\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta\/~mis00003D4C.lua'. Reason: The request is not supported.

Getting this error when trying to use the dynamic mission briefing. The knee boards also appear blank and transparent. Any ideas?

Thanks AlaskanGrizzly for this wonderful utility. I ran this as admin, merge a few files together. worked beautifully. I set it to max size and put it in the middle of the screen. But it still appeared on the right. Then I moved it all the way to the left and it still appears of the right. Any ideas?

yr180ax2dj12gbla.JPG

8vixi7e6s01iuaw6.png

Does it have anything to do with my monitor resolution? which is only 1280x1024.

What VR Headset are you using, rocketeer?

I have an Oculus Rift CV1. The single image resolution is (HxW) 1200x1080.

My monitor has 1440x2560.

To get KBB to work with the Rift's resolution I have to set the DCS Resolution Offsets to get the used resolution to 1200x1080.

So hight offset is -240, width offset is -1480

1440 - 1200 = 240, and 2560 - 1080 = 1480.

Do this under Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Modify -> Aircraft -> Profile.

Once you've done that, set up your Kneeboard dimensions and location and save.

Now go to the KBB Icon in the System Tray and select the profile you wish to use. That should fix you situation.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Captain Orso,

I'm using pimax, its resolution is supposed to be 2560x1440. with my monitor only being 1280x1024, it looks like i need to give postive offset 1280x672? i tried several sets of offset numbers, plus or minus. if minus then image becomes very small.

you need to choose profile in system tray? i don't see KBB in my system tray.

You have to find out first, what the Pimax uses for the per-eye resolution. I'm sure the 2560 width would be the full-device resolution, because hight and width will be close to the same per eye, resulting in something close to a square. the same as the Rift's full device resolution is 2160 wide x 1200 hight, but per-eye 1080 x 1200.

I believe KBB looks at what DCS says your monitor resolution is, which is probably its native resolution of 1280 x 672. Whatever both are, you have to input the entries that they result in the KBB resolution being what the Pimax has for its per-eye resolution, including entering negative and/or non-negative values.

EDIT: Positioning the KB window seems to be bugged.

If positioning the KB window isn't working, edit '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\Custom Kneeboard Settings\{AV8BNA}\ViewportHandling.lua' for the aircraft in question, and modify the variables 'kneePosY' and 'kneePosX' to position the window as you wish. Play around with different values to get what you wish.

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I googled a few places including wikipedia and pimaxvr website, all confirmed each eye 2560x1440.

i tried changing the size and X Y positions on the lua file. nothing happened. The values I entered sometimes they get changed back the KBB, sometimes not.

As for the KBB itself, the size and position I set will result in very unpredictable result. Sometimes the size and positions that I change on the profile don't make any diff, sometimes a little bit and they changed a lot. It's a lot of trial and error. I've gotten the size i want, and position is still off center a bit, but if i change any more it may just get worse. so i'd live with it.

thanks for all the suggestions.

I googled a few places including wikipedia and pimaxvr website, all confirmed each eye 2560x1440.

OMG... you are ofc correct.. that must be fantastic to have such a wide FOV :)

i tried changing the size and X Y positions on the lua file. nothing happened. The values I entered sometimes they get changed back the KBB, sometimes not.

As for the KBB itself, the size and position I set will result in very unpredictable result. Sometimes the size and positions that I change on the profile don't make any diff, sometimes a little bit and they changed a lot. It's a lot of trial and error. I've gotten the size i want, and position is still off center a bit, but if i change any more it may just get worse. so i'd live with it.

thanks for all the suggestions.

Each time you implement a profile through the KBB sys-tray icon context menu, it overwrites the files in ..\data\kneeboard.... for that aircraft. So that might be one source of unexpected changes.

I don't mean to understand lua, but I did see some reference to Oculus, but I didn't try to follow their meaning.

From my understanding, KBB recognizes "Oculus" as 'using VR' in DCS.

Okay, let's step back for a moment. Although in DCS it appears as if you had a monitor with more-or-less unlimited width and height, in reality, DCS has a limited frame it used for displaying things like the controls indicator, the FPS and debugging info, and the KB. If you parameter their position to outside its 'frame' the display will be cut off at the edge of the 'frame' or completely invisible, bc of being outside the

'frame'.

This 'frame' in VR is from my understanding, what DCS understands to be your display's actual physical rendering limits -- which might also be modified by over and under rendering (EG: setting resolution to 1920x1080 on a monitor with 2560x1440 native resolution, so that the GPU has far less calculating to do in rendering. Upscaling a frame dispaly is a fairly easy process, and far less taxing on a GPU than rendering at full size).

So, if you change nothing else in the mean time, changes to X and Y position parameters should have a direct 1 to 1 affect on the display position of the KB window.

Never, ever, eVaR change both the X and Y parameters while changing anything else. Test only one change at a time.

Did you actually change the offset inputs in your KBB profile to get your 2560 x 1440 resolution?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

New with KBB

in my preferences I have a 'custom' DCS install on

l:\DCS

and user data in saved game in

K:\Saved Games\DCS.IC

which is mklimk(ed) to my

C:\Users\admin\Saved Games\DCS.IC

I have tried both,

KBB Custom Kneeboard does create a

General DCS World Kneeboard with added ‘Dynamic Mission Briefing’

a Huey kneeboard with added ‘startup procedure’

BUT

does not resize or move keeboard

I have a Rift and I tried Width Off set -720 and non at all / monitor used is native 1080p / Rift resolution supposedly 1200x1080

and moved and resized the Kneeboard in the KBB Profiles editor

but stays default location and size

also

no files are added for the profiles in

"..\Saved Games\DCS.IC\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\Kneeboard Data\.."

which seems not right

?

any thoughts?

New with KBB

in my preferences I have a 'custom' DCS install on

l:\DCS

and user data in saved game in

K:\Saved Games\DCS.IC

which is mklimk(ed) to my

C:\Users\admin\Saved Games\DCS.IC

I have tried both,

KBB Custom Kneeboard does create a

General DCS World Kneeboard with added ‘Dynamic Mission Briefing’

a Huey kneeboard with added ‘startup procedure’

BUT

does not resize or move keeboard

I have a Rift and I tried Width Off set -720 and non at all / monitor used is native 1080p / Rift resolution supposedly 1200x1080

and moved and resized the Kneeboard in the KBB Profiles editor

but stays default location and size

also

no files are added for the profiles in

"..\Saved Games\DCS.IC\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\Kneeboard Data\.."

which seems not right

?

any thoughts?

Yes

1. Fix DCS so that the installation location corresponds to the registry entries referencing DCS, or the other way around.

2. Insure that your '..\Saved Games' folder is conform to your Windows installation; in other words, your '..\Saved Games' folder MUST be what Windows™ understands to be your '..\Saved Games' folder.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Current folder set for F-14 kneeboard in Kneeboard Builder is incorrect.

I suspect this is because the install/mod folder for the F-14 currently is:

\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14

Thus Kneeboard builder uses this to create the following kneeboard folder:

\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\F14

However the current (not necessarily correct, as I believe this is a bug on HeatBlur's behalf) is:

\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\F-14B

tldr: Kneeboard Builder will put your kneeboards for the F14 in a directory called 'F14'. Rename this to 'F-14B'.

Yes

1. Fix DCS so that the installation location corresponds to the registry entries referencing DCS, or the other way around.

2. Insure that your '..\Saved Games' folder is conform to your Windows installation; in other words, your '..\Saved Games' folder MUST be what Windows™ underst"nds to be your '..\Saved Games' folder.

"Fix DCS so that the installation location"

not available, DCS is installed on a different drive that survived several windows upgrades

"'..\Saved Games' folder is conform to your Window"

use a Mklink as my "c:\Users\admin\Saved Games" which has always worked

- have tried both "c:\Users\admin\Saved Games" and the linked folrder "k:\Saved Games" in the prefs

stil no resize/move

?

I use "custom" install that supposedly circumvents the Reg install dir?

but something is still amiss.

"build' custom does work

Edited by majapahit

"Fix DCS so that the installation location"

not available, DCS is installed on a different drive that survived several windows upgrades

IF you installed DCS to, for example your 'H:' drive, in Windows XP, then upgraded to Windows 7, and then to Windows 10, that should be okay, because the registry entries would all point to 'H:\...'.

IF while upgrading Windows, you moved your installation folders to a different location, then the registry and installation locations do not correspond. The only way I myself know to rectify that, is to reinstall DCS using their actual installation location. I'm not saying there is no other way, but I don't know what those other methods might be.

"'..\Saved Games' folder is conform to your Window"

use a Mklink as my "c:\Users\admin\Saved Games" which has always worked

- have tried both "c:\Users\admin\Saved Games" and the linked folrder "k:\Saved Games" in the prefs

stil no resize/move

?

This can work with some application, but I know it won't work will ALL application, because of the varied ways applications can use to build the path to your Windows 'personal' folders.

Here is described one way to move personal folders in Windows: How-To Geek: How to Move Your Documents, Music, and Other Folders Somewhere Else in Windows

It might be advantageous to research a method described specifically for Windows version.

I use "custom" install that supposedly circumvents the Reg install dir?

I don't know what this means.

but something is still amiss.

"build' custom does work

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Captain Orso,

Thanks for your input. I did give offsets, but they are positive numbers, not negative. Because the pimax resolution is twice that of oculus, i need to give positive offsets to my monitor resolution to reach the pimax resolution.

Anyway, using the profile for a10c in the KBB is still random for changing size or position. Sometimes i shift it and nothing happens. sometimes it does, sometimes it moves in the opposition direction! I can control the size and position half the time. Tried like two dozen times. I think there is a bug somewhere.

Now i got it bigger, centered, a bit high but i'd live with it. For something that is unpredictable much luck is required. I love this utility. Don't get me wrong. I got to customize with all the RWR list, start up checklist, ops notes etc. But positioning it is just too random.