Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Hi Snacko, are you sure about the extracted pages being "small".

When I check the original document in Adobe Reader -> File -> Properties it says that the pages are "960.0 x 540.0 pt", but the PNG files, which KBB extracts are "2000 x 1125 pixels (2.25 MPixels) (16x9)" according to IrfanView Image properties.

When it gets displayed on the DCS Kneeboard it can only be as big as the kneeboard. How big is your kneeboard? The max height for most people is 1080, and the width needs to be about .843 of that height, so 910 pixels. And if you only have one monitor, that would cover up half of your 1920x1080 screen. I have triple screen so I can go 1080, but the text is too small to easily read.

Here is a single page extracted, and one that I doubled up. I don't use them because they are hard to read for me. :smilewink:

1202204639_ChucksGuide-p10-006.thumb.png.add3d7ef4df09cb311d397b7f5482dbb.png

Chuck-058.thumb.png.8f247661f6915b659623f53d93528ff7.png

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I'm in VR, so everything is a bit different. My window size is 960W x 540H, and I resized all the pages I use to that size as well.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The Kneeboard Builder doesn't remember my saved groups:

Here's the groups before I click the Build button:

9qSJrf7.png

Here it is afterwards:

k0mdCMc.png

If I want to add one image, I have to move everything over to the right again and reorganise it. Is this fixable?

Also, sorry for large images.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to DCS World and watched all the tutorial videos and read the manual for KBB. Unfortunately, after I click building custom kneeboard, and get a confirmation that it was built, my kneeboard isn't showing up in game. I tried to build it into a premade mission by selecting the .miz option and that just crashes by KBB. So, I rebuilt a mission with it, and still no joy.

Another issue, and it may be related, is that whenever I start KBB the game directory location is cleared out and empty... I have the game on a separate SDD from my Steam & Saved Games & KBB.exe folder.

I could use a little help...

Thanks!

... Unfortunately, after I click building custom kneeboard, and get a confirmation that it was built, my kneeboard isn't showing up in game. I tried to build it into a premade mission by selecting the .miz option and that just crashes by KBB. So, I rebuilt a mission with it, and still no joy.

Another issue, and it may be related, is that whenever I start KBB the game directory location is cleared out and empty... I have the game on a separate SDD from my Steam & Saved Games & KBB.exe folder.

Are you running KBB on admin mode? KBB needs it, on my spanish windows the KBB shortcut is like this:

oQqxJcu.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 - i have two empy transparent pages in my kneeboard, i'm not ablke to find the sources...

2 - I have also a DATA directory in "saved game" and another in "saved game\DCS.openbeta" with this path & contents

"D:\DATA\Saved Games\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\Custom Kneeboard Settings\L-39"

declare_kneeboard_device.lua

init.lua,"4,34 KB",File LUA

objects_page.lua

overlay_page.lua

ViewportHandling.lua

if i delete it is created again

thanks for any help

The Kneeboard Builder doesn't remember my saved groups:

If I want to add one image, I have to move everything over to the right again and reorganise it. Is this fixable?

Also, sorry for large images.

I've never had more than about 8-10 Kneeboard groups. Maybe there is a limit? Have you tried combining them so that there are not so many?

Hi everyone.

I'm new to DCS World and watched all the tutorial videos and read the manual for KBB. Unfortunately, after I click building custom kneeboard, and get a confirmation that it was built, my kneeboard isn't showing up in game. I tried to build it into a premade mission by selecting the .miz option and that just crashes by KBB. So, I rebuilt a mission with it, and still no joy.

I could use a little help...

Thanks!

When I click 'Build Customer Kneeboard for XXX' I don't get any message. But it works. I see the kneeboard in the game. I am using KBB version 1.7.5.0

"whenever I start KBB the game directory location is cleared out and empty"

I'm not sure of what location you mean. AFAIK, KBB stores your Kneeboard builds in your Saved Games DCS folder.

Are you running KBB as Admin? You should.. Also, Windows Security might be 'cleaning' out those files. Not sure what else to tell you..

1 - i have two empy transparent pages in my kneeboard, i'm not ablke to find the sources...

2 - I have also a DATA directory in "saved game" and another in "saved game\DCS.openbeta" with this path & contents

"D:\DATA\Saved Games\Data\Kneeboard Builder Config\Custom Kneeboard Settings\L-39"

declare_kneeboard_device.lua

init.lua,"4,34 KB",File LUA

objects_page.lua

overlay_page.lua

ViewportHandling.lua

if i delete it is created again

thanks for any help

I had those Transparent pages for a few days also. They started right after the maps, where the custom kneeboards should start. I had never seen that before. But it went away and I have no transparent kneeboard pages now. It could have been a DCS thing that was fixed in an update. Or maybe I re-built that kneeboard? IDK

Don't Delete those files in the Saved Games\Data folder. KBB uses them I believe..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

May be a moot point. Today I'm trying to run KBB and it doesn't run. It pulls up the splash screen saying loading and it is just stuck there. Tried it with and without Admin perms. Nada.

KBB doesn't look at the pages you have added for your customer KB to determine the window size. That wouldn't really be possible, because you could add pages of various sizes, and KBB only has a fixed sizes window.

So you have to so some home work in setting up a customer KB in insuring all the pages you include have the same dimensions. Also, you should consider that the standard pages added by DCS automatically --the maps and airfield info pages-- already have their own standard size. If the window you define doesn't match those pages, their display will be stretched and/shrunk to fit your window while in the mission.

To determine the window size and position you wish to use, you have to options -> kneeboard profiles -> modify. Add a profile for the aircraft you will be flying fitting to the KB pages you will be adding. Activate it through right clicking the KBB icon in the system tray and selecting the prifile. It will remain active for that aircraft, even from session to session, until you select a different profile for that aircraft, or set it to default thru options -> kneeboard profiles -> restore defaults.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

Getting a "Conversion Failed" anytime I try to convert regardless off PDF. I cannot copy paste the error but the error splash starts with:

"Ghostscript could not be started with error."

I think it got something to do with Net.Framework 4.5 as there are numerous "Ghostscript.NET.Viewer.GhostscriptViewer" errors, but NET.Framework is included in Win 10 so I cannot install it.

Any ideas?

Getting a "Conversion Failed" anytime I try to convert regardless off PDF. I cannot copy paste the error but the error splash starts with:

"Ghostscript could not be started with error."

I think it got something to do with Net.Framework 4.5 as there are numerous "Ghostscript.NET.Viewer.GhostscriptViewer" errors, but NET.Framework is included in Win 10 so I cannot install it.

Any ideas?

You must install the '.NET Framework 4.5' version linked to in the first post of this thread.

.NET versions are not backwards compatible, so a default version installed as a part of your Windows installation will not work with KBB.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hi,

I used kneeboard builder just to move the default kneeboard as I run multiple monitors. As of late when I try to apply the profile the app hangs and crashes.

I've tried deleting all the kneeboard files in my saved games directory and using a fresh copy, but it is still the same.

Would appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks

Please Help :(

Or how does it move the kneeboard without failing the integrity check like modifying viewporthandling.lua does?

Edited by jonsky7

Just a heads up. The new version, that I just installed, is detected as ransomware by Malwarebytes premium. I suspect it's not (and it's working fine after I excluded it).

Antivirus software can often generate a false positive. Back when I was using Avast, if it discovered anything suspicious, which the user thinks is not malicious, it was possible to submit the file directly through Avast AV for analysis by Avast. They would analyse the file and report on their findings.

There are also sites which use many antivirus programs to analyse suspicious files (like 20 - 25 different AV programs at the same time) and report their finding on what each AV program reported, practically immediately, mostly so that the user has an idea if only their AV generates the same report or not.

As you have noted, you can exclude the file, if you believe that a false positive was generated.

Hi. I have this same error, and i can not install NET Framework 4.5' version linked in the first post. What now?

How is it that you "can not install NET Framework 4.5"? Please describe your experience.

Please Help :(

Or how does it move the kneeboard without failing the integrity check like modifying viewporthandling.lua does?

I don't recall exactly where, but IIRC it installs a so-called Hook somewhere in the installation directories, which then points to '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\Mods\Kneeboard Builder Config\' where the scripts for your customer KB size and position are presented.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

How is it that you "can not install NET Framework 4.5"? Please describe your experience.

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4.5 redistributable.

The same or a newer version of the .NET Framework 4.5 is already installed on this computer.

I have this message when I try to install NET Framework 4.5

• 2 weeks later...

I am running the latest version of Kneeboard Builder and I can't get the new kneeboards I create to resize and reposition. The kneeboards do work and show up, however when I go make the changes in the option menu for the aircraft (A-10C), the kneeboard remains in the same default position and size. I am trying to use Chuck's Guide for the A-10C and future aircraft in VR, however the format sizing is different, Chuck's Guides are setup horizontal vs the default is vertically. I've been looking at for a solution in forms, videos, and blogs for quite some time know with no success. Any suggestions would be great.

I am running the latest version of Kneeboard Builder and I can't get the new kneeboards I create to resize and reposition.

If you change the dimensions of the KB window, YOU must also change the dimensions of the KB pages you wish to display in it. KBB does not do that for you.

The kneeboards do work and show up, however when I go make the changes in the option menu for the aircraft (A-10C), the kneeboard remains in the same default position and size.

If I understand you correctly, you are going into Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Modify -> A-10C and then resizing the window, and saving it under some profile name.

That's fine, but if you want to use this custom profile, you must activate it by going to the KBB icon in the system tray, <Right-Click> -> Profiles -> A-10C -> your saved profile.

I am trying to use Chuck's Guide for the A-10C and future aircraft in VR, however the format sizing is different, Chuck's Guides are setup horizontal vs the default is vertically. I've been looking at for a solution in forms, videos, and blogs for quite some time know with no success. Any suggestions would be great.

I've seen one person put two paged of Chuck's Guide onto one KB page. I might not be exactly the same dimensions of the DCS default KB window dimensions, but it's fairly close. But again, you must edit the pages to fit the KB window dimensions you are using in the custom profile.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I am getting several see thru blank kneeboards currently. Seems like if you load the PG beacons and Cauc Beacons, which ever you are on, the other maps beacon page is clear blanks. Can the lua not be updated to just not run the script, depending on the map you are flying?

I cannot figure out what you are doing, nor exactly what you are expecting. Sorry :huh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I am flying the huey and ka50.

I made 2 separate kneeboards for each.

I made several kneeboard groups, then added the dynamic kneeboard and beacon pack from the app.

When in game and when cycling thru the kneeboard, 3 blank kneeboards appear where the PG beacon should be and vice versa when on other map.

What other details can I provide?

Thanks

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

So they are aircraft specific KB's; in other words, they appear in every mission in which you are in the UH-1 or the KA-50, without having added them to the mission itself?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

The beacon scripts for all three maps appear to be bugged or incompatible with the current DCS version. The DCS error log throws up several coding errors relating the the beacon scripts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

The beacon scripts for all three maps appear to be bugged or incompatible with the current DCS version. The DCS error log throws up several coding errors relating the the beacon scripts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, without KBB involved at all, the beacon pages add by DCS are blank as well?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

When I go to the options drop down and then go to kneeboard profiles, the only choice I am given is RESTORE DEFAULTS. I had previously made an F18 profile, but know I cannot get to it. Why?

When the kb is in the task bar and I left click it, I get a drop down that includes PROFILES>f18>MY F18 profile.

Edited by sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I have a question, I am trying to add a Hornet checklist, I made a Word document, saved it as a PDF, imported it and found the .png file. When opened it all the text was garbage. What did I do wrong?

Secondly when I goto preferences and tell it where my DCS folder is it will revert back the C drive.. meaning that after I browse to F:\program files\eagle dynamics etc etc and click save it will revert back to C:\ Program files\eagle dynamics \etc etc. so the files end up in the wrong directory.

A problem is that when I place the file in the right place they don’t show up on the kneeboard during flight.

Thank for your help 8n advance

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat