Mustang First Take-Off and Landing: Post your Tracks/Vids

159th_Viper

So even with rudder trimmed for takeoff she's a bucking pony on the runway? Is it just a matter of muscle memory or is she as wild as thy come? I'm a good few days from playing so I'll live vicariously through you guys.

Also I heard a rumor of a 190 opponent ?? Saw a 109 model on the tarmack in the flight demo....confirm?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So even with rudder trimmed for takeoff she's a bucking pony on the runway? Is it just a matter of muscle memory or is she as wild as thy come? I'm a good few days from playing so I'll live vicariously through you guys.

If you follow instruction on how to do it, take off is very easy. If you don't and decide to do your own thing - expect fireballs. On my first t/o (without bothering to read manual), I somehow got off the ground but damaged aircraft in the process. I was all over place and it's a miracle I lived. Landing was fun too.

If you follow instruction on how to do it, take off is very easy. If you don't and decide to do your own thing - expect fireballs.

From the questions I have seen posted in the past 24 hours, I would say that following instructions, reading the manual, or any posts that might be useful is not happening very often.:P

The documentation is quite useful I am finding.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

After the download stopped last night it took me about 5 attempts to get her off the ground - quite a few busted props and broken wings. She's definitely a challenge. I was using the Takeoff (no help) mission and I found that I had better control on takeoff if I didn't set the rudder to 5 degree offset.

I already disabled auto-rudder. My only thinking is there was a cross-wind but I have to wait until I get off of work to find out if that was the case.

I'm very impressed so far and she's a challenge!

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

After flying some BS2 last night I thought I would take a quick look at the forum and there it was...So pre-purchased the Beta and I started the torrent... Then seeded all night for others...

Could not stand it.... so I stayed up a little late just to get her in the air...I think I will leave work early today...

Initial flight was default controller settings....which needed correcting...funny how the HOTAS and Rudder all are duplicated for some axis commands...so yeah, crashed and burned..

After mapping a few keys and a rudder remap..I don't use auto rudder......tried instant action and got my arse handed to me...AI must be WAGS... Then made a quick mission and strafed some tanks...needed some rockets and bombs...

No real problems flying this Mustang....No vids..... but a couple of screens... What a great bird! This is going to be a blast... nice canopy reflections and the sunlight sparkling on the glass is cool... yah I love eye candy...but the polyurethane skateboard wheels have got to go!!!!

Now take off and landing...assist slider to zero....hmmm dial in 5 degrees right rudder, hold the brakes and run her up to 47", stick center back, let off the brakes and let her run, minor rudder to keep her in the middle, tail up and give some stick back froward. Sure 5 out of 15 tries were good... Landing? gotta do a 3 point and keep the stick back a little...worked for me...most of the time. I am working on touch n gos....and get brave enough to sit her down now and then... I remember the KA50...I could not fly it very well at the beginning either. I look back now and laugh at myself :pilotfly:

Thanks ED! Keep em coming! :thumbup:

1202388804_MoonbeamMcswine1stflight.thumb.jpg.c22382b3934b6718fbead8473890b233.jpg

1140658162_NeedRockets.thumb.jpg.acf656ae94d046bbffeb12abaca5b8fb.jpg

1116195733_Gowithunlimitedammo.thumb.jpg.513c959399a9ea8e13fb0af5718638a7.jpg

15982159_landthisbird.thumb.jpg.0cea58d02ba76bef86b8a84e644dae89.jpg

1916645015_1stlanding.thumb.jpg.273e3b5cc12dfd80711c1173f3275ec8.jpg

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

A quick video of my takeoff and landing. The landing is from my second flight as DCS crashes when I alt tab!

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Takeoff should not be all that difficult as long as you advance power carefully and landing should be pretty stable as long as you approach around 120 mph and drop power for a touchdown around 100 mph or slightly less. However, if you are finding it surprisingly easy, make sure Auto-Rudder and Takeoff Assistant options are disabled. These are in the Options > Special tab menu. It used to be much, much more difficult in early betas. :)

Also worth noting, although takeoff is normally performed with about 5 degrees of right rudder trim, the trim model is still WIP. At this point turning the trim wheels moves the actual control surface, so if you are adjusting rudder trim for takeoff, you are actually turning the rudder and the tail wheel and not just the rudder trim tab.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I am very curious about balance, I hate to bring up IL-2, but they messed up the balance with the Mustang f/m, the fuel tank behind the seat, was modelled wrong and it drained last in IL-2. And they refused to ever fix it..

In DCS Mustang, is that fuel tank modelled? Does it drain first, does the plane spin too easily because of the auxillery fuel tank behind the seat (if it is there?). I want to buy it, money is always very tight...

btw.. I have a little Veteran campaign going fighting for my benefits, so I changed my sig..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_O7vrp95To

:joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I am very curious about balance, I hate to bring up IL-2, but they messed up the balance with the Mustang f/m, the fuel tank behind the seat, was modelled wrong and it drained last in IL-2. And they refused to ever fix it..

In DCS Mustang, is that fuel tank modelled? Does it drain first, does the plane spin too easily because of the auxillery fuel tank behind the seat (if it is there?). I want to buy it, money is always very tight...

btw.. I have a little Veteran campaign going fighting for my benefits, so I changed my sig..

The fuel tanks are selected manually by the pilot, so they feed in whatever order you switch through them. And yes, balance and handling is affected by fuel quantity. The standard fuel load for the P-51 in the sim is 68%, so that only the wing tanks are filled. If you want to fly with the fuselage tank change the fuel load to 100% in the ME loadout screen.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

There is a selector valve near your left leg, it's quite large, has some writing on it and some additional red paint ;)

Just switch to the fuel tank as see fit. All fuel tanks are "modelled" as in they are empty, eventually, so you might take care of what tank you actually choose.

If I understood Wags right, fuel vapor isn't fully modelled, so at the moment it shouldn't matter which tank you choose at cold start. Later, once fuel vapor is fully modelled, you'll better choose the left wing tank as this is the one the fuel vapor is returned to.

Takeoff should not be all that difficult as long as you advance power carefully and landing should be pretty stable as long as you approach around 120 mph and drop power for a touchdown around 100 mph or slightly less. However, if you are finding it surprisingly easy, make sure Auto-Rudder and Takeoff Assistant options are disabled. These are in the Options > Special tab menu. It used to be much, much more difficult in early betas. :)

Also, if you have managed three wheeler takeoffs and landings, try doing the two wheeler variants. It's what separates the boys from the men. :)

Edit: Bouncing on landing is a no-no, btw. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Personally, so far, I've found the flight model to be disappointing and unrealistic. For example, the aircraft doesn't stall and/or and go into a spin every time I pull an AoA of more than 10 degrees. Also unrealistic is the fact that the aircraft does not buck wildly like it's hanging from a bridge on a bungie cord in the middle of a magnitude 7 earth quake every time I squeeze the guns.

ED, please fix the flight model so it's more like previous WWII games, otherwise, I will be in serious danger of finding a WWII aircraft sim that I actually enjoy flying enough to play on a regular basis :mad:

;)

Does anyone remember Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator? OH MY GOD those were some BAD flight models. Remember how, if you tried to turn in the Spitfire or P-51, the aircraft would start turning, then stall once the AoA got about like 15 degrees, then start turning again once "normal airflow" was re-established, then stall again, then start turning again, with this process repeating about once a second? The process of making a turn was basically to pull back on the stick, then wait as the aircraft slowly oscillated/wiggled its way through the turn, with the "STALL" message flashing on and off at you. It was so bad that the Hurricane was vastly superior to the Spitfire.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Personally, so far, I've found the flight model to be disappointing and unrealistic. For example, the aircraft doesn't stall and/or and go into a spin every time I pull an AoA of more than 10 degrees. Also unrealistic is the fact that the aircraft does not buck wildly like it's hanging from a bridge on a bungie cord in the middle of a magnitude 7 earth quake every time I squeeze the guns.

ED, please fix the flight model so it's more like previous WWII games, otherwise, I will be in serious danger of finding a WWII aircraft sim that I actually enjoy flying enough to play on a regular basis :mad:

;)

Does anyone remember Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator? OH MY GOD those were some BAD flight models. Remember how, if you tried to turn in the Spitfire or P-51, the aircraft would start turning, then stall once the AoA got about like 15 degrees, then start turning again once "normal airflow" was re-established, then stall again, then start turning again, with this process repeating about once a second? The process of making a turn was basically to pull back on the stick, then wait as the aircraft slowly oscillated/wiggled its way through the turn, with the "STALL" message flashing on and off at you. It was so bad that the Hurricane was vastly superior to the Spitfire.

Hmmm I do remember that and it didn't bother me at the time so much as it does now!

So landing with a bounce means I'm too fast right? I get the feeling if I come down at 90mph I'll be flaring so much that my tail will strike before the main gear.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

The balance will change if you fill the fuselage tank. Aerobatics becomes a big problem and even cruise trim is not easy because of very short stick travel for trimming at various speed.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

So landing with a bounce means I'm too fast right? I get the feeling if I come down at 90mph I'll be flaring so much that my tail will strike before the main gear.

Yeah - your vertical descent rate is too fast. If you're bouncing a three-pointer then you are really hammering her down :D

For a three-pointer you want to aim for the attitude you have on the ground when you cross the numbers. Would not say it's a flare as such - just put the Mustang in that attitude, hold it there and the plane will land itself. For a wheeler watch the speed and descent-rate. After a wee bit of practice you get to judge the descent-rate pretty well from the cockpit:

bezxNIWfT8g

Note the mini 3-pointer as the tail comes down: That's the attitude at landing you're aiming for :)

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

P-51D no longer virgin...

After learning to be gentle with the throttle this was my first full t/o, fly-a-bit and land...

Still too fast and approach is far from perfect. Still need to do the landing training :music_whistling:

1stFlight.trk

Edited by shagrat
The Track-file

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Well.. i consider my 1st landing a success. Without looking at the manual and more importantly looking at the control setup i took to the skies to see if the install had worked.

And with no throttle control, as it was not mapped, i managed to land at full throttle and walk away! :D

screen120501151924mediu.jpg

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4