F/A-18C Hornet | Audio Production / Overhaul

I_Gamer

Fooled around with this a bit more last night. I noticed that when I install the mod stand-alone, the issue is reduced significantly, although it is still there. If I install Moltar's Mod, the whistling becomes more pronounced in the whisk whisk looping. Very strange indeed.

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

Fooled around with this a bit more last night. I noticed that when I install the mod stand-alone, the issue is reduced significantly, although it is still there. If I install Moltar's Mod, the whistling becomes more pronounced in the whisk whisk looping. Very strange indeed.

Alright, yes that is strange. I’ll look into this.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

All things sound @ Echo 19 Audio

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Looking in Moltar's Mod, he's got 20 more files for the F-18 than what are in your mod. He also has duplicate wav files for some of the OGG files you have. If I remember correctly, the sim will read a WAV file before it reads an OGG file?

Afterburner.wav - Totally different sound

Distant_Around.wav - Much louder than yours.

There is also the Whistle.ogg there as well which sounds the same as the default but is a bigger fie in size.

Then he's got what appears to be a bunch of the default sounds in the folder as well. Definitely not a duplicate of your mod.

Great work bud.

You did a great job on the sounds. Love them!

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

So, any news on the whisk whisk looping in flyby view? For me, it destroys an otherwise stellar mod.

Just returning home after a long weekend of work, Moltar is looking into his side of things. The VUAF held the Swiss Hornet demo and used the mod and sounded great.

Great work bud.

You did a great job on the sounds. Love them!

Thanks! :)

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Found out something interesting last night. I had two peeps I fly with install the mod last night. One has the issue, the other does not. I have to wonder if it isn't a sound config issue. Do you have a certain level of volume setup on your sound sliders I could try? It may be something as simple as that.

UPDATE: Scratch that, both of the other installs have the issue too. This mod has issues in its current state. We're all reverting back to Waterman's mod for now.

Edited by Bananimal

Found out something interesting last night. I had two peeps I fly with install the mod last night. One has the issue, the other does not. I have to wonder if it isn't a sound config issue. Do you have a certain level of volume setup on your sound sliders I could try? It may be something as simple as that.

UPDATE: Scratch that, both of the other installs have the issue too. This mod has issues in its current state. We're all reverting back to Waterman's mod for now.

I'm sure it's a simple fix, however, I don't have a lot of time currently - and my entire feedback team (made up of almost 10 individuals) haven't reported this issue. What is Waterman's mod? To my knowledge; this is the only Hornet audio overhaul that has this much work and resources put into it.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

I'm sure it's a simple fix, however, I don't have a lot of time currently - and my entire feedback team (made up of almost 10 individuals) haven't reported this issue. What is Waterman's mod? To my knowledge; this is the only Hornet audio overhaul that has this much work and resources put into it.

Waterman's sound mod: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301856/

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Definitely not as good as yours, but better than the original sounds.

So, last night when we were flying in formation, we could all hear the oscillations of what sounded to be Whistle2. This was in external view and it was coming from the other aircraft in the formation and not mine. I'm not saying it was Whistle2, but listening to Whistle2 on its own has those oscillations.

As the mods being installed correctly, it is. I'm pretty much an advanced DCS user. You've seen and used my skins. I'm well adept and installing mods. Just so you can get an idea of my experience level. I know it's frustrating to get reports like this after you put your heart and soul into something, but it is an issue. All three of us hear it. Two more than the other. And there was one other in this thread that had the issue.

Edited by Bananimal

So, last night when we were flying in formation, we could all hear the oscillations of what sounded to be Whistle2. This was in external view and it was coming from the other aircraft in the formation and not mine. I'm not saying it was Whistle2, but listening to Whistle2 on its own has those oscillations.

As the mods being installed correctly, it is. I'm pretty much an advanced DCS user. You've seen and used my skins. I'm well adept and installing mods. Just so you can get an idea of my experience level. I know it's frustrating to get reports like this after you put your heart and soul into something, but it is an issue. All three of us hear it. Two more than the other. And there was one other in this thread that had the issue.

It's not that it's frustrating, I am used to bug reports and feedback like this - as I have a background in creating the same types of mods for ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 over the years.

It is, however, hard for me to fix a problem that I'm not having in my game. Me and a few friends got into DCS last night and went for a little formation flight, and couldn't hear any abnormalities - or sounds that we thought "well that shouldn't be there". I also had my buddy do several F11/F3 fly-by's and we could not notice anything that was out of place. Same goes for my entire feedback crew. Not saying that it's just you - but it is extremely hard to fix a problem that I or my team are not also experiencing.

Nevertheless, I'm still looking into it (when I can), and will update here if I find a issue/solution.

The only notable "problem" is with the howl. Since it was added as a work around (because ED doesn't have a publicly accessible sound API like ArmA) there will be things you notice that aren't quite right about it, and the aircraft in general. This is above me, and won't be able to fix until we get better tools (if we ever do) from Eagle Dynamics.

Ideally, you would have completely separate sound samples between the F2/F4/F5 and F3/F11 views - as one is static and the others (F3/F11, flyby views) are obviously not static and do not move with the aircraft. The same type of issues arise with ArmA, as there are only two camera types. External, and internal. The game does not take into consideration if you are in any particular view, and will play the same samples regardless. When in Zeus (the live game editor) and flying with an aircraft, you'll hear the samples looping as you move with the aircraft. This is more or less noticeable between each aircraft/vehicle/ship. Same goes for DCS.

We are a long ways off from ED doing any sort of major audio engine overhaul, as it seems they've taken a step backwards by hiding more controls into the game engine's API. Which is a huge bummer for audio enthusiast like myself.

If you'd like to chat with me or with everyone in the E19 discord, join in and lets talk! :thumbup:

https://discord.gg/tjDUaT

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

I am also hearing this effect. It appears when your a certain distance away in the external view, and if you move the camera back, it will go away.

Here is the video - the first part is in normal speed, and later I switch on a/b .

Edited by RookFett

The only notable "problem" is with the howl. Since it was added as a work around (because ED doesn't have a publicly accessible sound API like ArmA) there will be things you notice that aren't quite right about it, and the aircraft in general. This is above me, and won't be able to fix until we get better tools (if we ever do) from Eagle Dynamics.

Ideally, you would have completely separate sound samples between the F2/F4/F5 and F3/F11 views - as one is static and the others (F3/F11, flyby views) are obviously not static and do not move with the aircraft. The same type of issues arise with ArmA, as there are only two camera types. External, and internal. The game does not take into consideration if you are in any particular view, and will play the same samples regardless. When in Zeus (the live game editor) and flying with an aircraft, you'll hear the samples looping as you move with the aircraft. This is more or less noticeable between each aircraft/vehicle/ship. Same goes for DCS.

I am also hearing this effect. It appears when your a certain distance away in the external view, and if you move the camera back, it will go away.

Here is the video - the first part is in normal speed, and later I switch on a/b .

See above.

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

That's one of the sounds I hear. It's not that big of an issue as I never fly the camera that far from my plane normally. But, when in external view and your wingman are about that distance away, you hear it.

You can kinda hear the whisk whisk sound on the frontal shot in your vid. Put the camera in flyby and you'll really hear it. I was trying to avoid having to install GeForce Experience so I can Shadow play a video. Going to do that now.

Edited by Bananimal

If you hit F2 view and zoom back a bit the repetition is more noticeable.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Just come across this mod and want to try it - any chance of a beginners guide to get it working with OvGME? (I heard the other mod manager doesn't seem to work well with the 64bit DCS so manged to get v1.7.4 of OvGME) - note have never tried to use a mod with DCS so any help appreciated...…..

Here's a short vid of the anomaly.

Thanks for pulling that video together! The whisking sound is indeed an anomaly, whether or not I can actually fix it will be determined by what I can do with the Sdef file associated with that sound.

As far as the oscillating howl sound goes, little I can do about that until I can get a better sample of a howl that doesn't have a pitch shift. (already discussed earlier)

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

Just come across this mod and want to try it - any chance of a beginners guide to get it working with OvGME? (I heard the other mod manager doesn't seem to work well with the 64bit DCS so manged to get v1.7.4 of OvGME) - note have never tried to use a mod with DCS so any help appreciated...…..

There's a guide that Moltar created for his modpack - just follow his steps (but with the XML link on the release post instead of the XML link that points to his stuff).

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio

There's a guide that Moltar created for his modpack - just follow his steps (but with the XML link on the release post instead of the XML link that points to his stuff).

Thanks! - found Moltar's page - might have missed it but found the link to the OVGME and also to Moltar's mod pack (which looks very good) - but no guide to using it!? (where precisely did he post it?)

Thanks! - found Moltar's page - might have missed it but found the link to the OVGME and also to Moltar's mod pack (which looks very good) - but no guide to using it!? (where precisely did he post it?)

There's a spot towards the bottom of his post on how to set it up. :)

It says something like;

Download and Stay Up-To-Date for Mod Pack Using OvGME

there's a little "spoiler" tag below it, click it to expand it! Sorry I can't be much more of help, but OVGME is very straight forward once you get past setting up your mod repo's. :thumbup:

- - - - - - - -

Tyler "Shadow"

linktr.ee/echo19audio