A lot of scratches, maybe a bit less please - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #21
26-J39

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPhibes View Post
Your car windows are made from glass (windshield = laminated, the rest are tempered), which is quite hard and scratch resistant. Aircraft canopies are plastic (acrylic, polycarbonate or similar) which scratches very easily. They are not comparable.
This! Exactly.. Perspex scratches very easily.
26-J39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #22
Scrape

The scratches are not excessive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_025219.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	183849  

Scrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #23
26-J39

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=260
26-J39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #24
ouPhrontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
The scratches are not excessive.
I'm not denying the presence of scratches on canopies, on the contrary (especially in GA where cost is more of a factor). We had cracks on some of the older club operated glider canopies from drops, with patches and anti-travel holes drilled.

Your camera is focused to the canopy, when I fly; I'm not focused on that, I'm looking beyond it for traffic and so on. Those are light scratches along with apparently dirt, not quite what I'm seeing in the Harrier.

Long and short, in my humble opinion, as a flyer; it could do with toning down.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #25
johnv2pt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26-J39 View Post
Yeah, look at all those scratches!

...erhem....and how easily you can see through them!

You guys are getting wrapped up around the axel on if the number of scratches is accurate. That's not what matters. What matters is the overall effect of those graphics on the user. If you can't see through the canopy, for whatever reason, then the effect that is causing that needs to be toned down. Like we have already mentioned looking at a flat monitor a fixed distance from your face is very different from how your eyes, position in the cockpit, glass, and objects outside of your aircraft all interact together IRL. Even in the worst conditions IRL you can mitigate the obscuration to some degree and that's just not the case in DCS. Whatever the graphical engine decides to give you is what you're stuck with.
johnv2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #26
Scrape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouPhrontis View Post
I'm not denying the presence of scratches on canopies, on the contrary (especially in GA where cost is more of a factor). We had cracks on some of the older club operated glider canopies from drops, with patches and anti-travel holes drilled.

Your camera is focused to the canopy, when I fly; I'm not focused on that, I'm looking beyond it for traffic and so on. Those are light scratches along with apparently dirt, not quite what I'm seeing in the Harrier.

Long and short, in my humble opinion, as a flyer; it could do with toning down.
It is what you are seeing. The scratches show differently in different light conditions. It's not dirt on the canopy but moisture and pollen. DCS models the scratches effectively in the sunlight. They aren't perfect unless they are new, and they have simm'd this aspect well enough. There is the case that there can be newer canopies, but what we have in game is still within the used canopy condition. Point I was making in the pic was look at the pattern of the scratches. Look familiar?

Scrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
Highwayman-Ed

Send a message via AIM to Highwayman-Ed

+1 for toning them down, they’re excessive in VR and glow bright white in sunlight, even at sunset.

Intel i7-7700k @4.8GHz
MSI Z270 Gaming Carbon Pro
32GB G.Skill Trident DDR3200 RAM
MSI 11GB GTX1080ti Founders Edition
40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K
Oculus Rift CV1
Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker
Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

Highwayman-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote