Can't read cockpit panel markings with VR - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #1
DerekSpeare

Default Can't read cockpit panel markings with VR

Hi,

Sorry for posting it, but I must. The panel markings/labels are entirely unreadable/illegible in the F5 when using VR. Is a higher resolution/clearer cockpit planned?
Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | FI-P3D v2.5/3 | FI-FSX
My Hangar: FC3 | Hawk | C101 | M2000 | Mi8 | UH1 | F86 | L39 | A10C | NTTR | F5E | F/A-18
DSD TS Server: derekspeare.typefrag.com | PW = dsdftw!
Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE
DerekSpeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
kramfiftysix

Hi there,

I had this as well, I increased the "resolution of cockpit display" from 256 to 1024 in the system options and all is good.

Have fun
kramfiftysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
tom1502

I've had no issues, pixel density at 1.5, if I struggled with anything I just leant closer to it...
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
  • Oculus Rift CV1
tom1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Arctic

Send a message via ICQ to Arctic

Since there is no Display in the F-5E (like MFCD, Shkval,...) Resolution of Cockpit Display setting is irrelevant for the F-5E and has nothing to do with the readability of labels in the F5-E cockpit.

Pixel Density Setting in DCS itself is only working for Oculus Rift at the Moment but should do the trick if you are using the Rift, like tom said. Texture quality should also be on high, for sure.

If you want a higher Pixel Density with the Vive:

-
Quit DCS and also SteamVR (it is not necessary to quit Steam).

- Go to: ?:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\

- Make a Backup of the steamvr.vrsettings file !

- Open the steamvr.vrsettings file with Notepad or something similar and insert the following line somewhere under "steamvr" : { section

• "renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5,

So it should look like this, for example:

Quote:

"steamvr" : {
"allowReprojection" : true,
"background" : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\SteamVR\\resources\\backgrounds\\viveNight.png",
"basestationPowerManagement" : true,
"defaultMirrorView" : 1,
"directMode" : true,
"directModeEdidPid" : 43521,
"directModeEdidVid" : 53794,
"renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5,
"showMirrorView" : false
},

You can change the value "1.5" to what your grahpics card is capable of. If this gives you much lower FPS, try 1.2 for example. It played a bit with this setting and saw that this setting wont effect FPS in the F5-E too much... Even on 0.5 it gave me no real FPS boost, but it is unplayable for sure because of the low resolution. But feel free to try 2.0 for example. DCS and steamVR must be closed to change the value every time.

You should know that this settings changes not only DCS but also every other VR Game resolution.

Have fun!
Intel I7 6850K watercooled @4.4GHz- 32GB Ram - Asus GTX1080 STRIX watercooled @2.1GHz - Samsung M.2 950 SSD 512GB - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - Philips BDM4065UC 4K - TM Hotas Warthog mit 20cm Verlängerung von Sahaj - Saitek Pro Flight Rudders - HTC Vive

- www.ungesalzen.net -

Last edited by Arctic; 07-24-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
DerekSpeare

My PD is 1.5. Panel marking legibility seems to be low in general with VR. A Hi-Rez panel may help, but that could whack the frame rates though.

BST can shed some light on this if they wanted.
Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | FI-P3D v2.5/3 | FI-FSX
My Hangar: FC3 | Hawk | C101 | M2000 | Mi8 | UH1 | F86 | L39 | A10C | NTTR | F5E | F/A-18
DSD TS Server: derekspeare.typefrag.com | PW = dsdftw!
Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE
DerekSpeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
SGT Coyle

I have trouble seeing the dials in VR(Oculus). The HSI shows pretty good, but the engine instrumentation is horrible. I have tried everything, but still can't get a good read on the most dials.
It seems I had this issue with A10C. A higher res cockpit mod fixed it, but haven,t tried in VR.

Hope VR issues like this can be addressed in the future.