The Horsemen fly DCS P-51!

VH-Rock

Well, At Duxford's Flying Legends airshow this year, we finally got around to getting the real Horsemen to try out DCS P-51. To say they were impressed was an understatement! Ed Shipley & Dan Friedkin put the Mustang through it's paces, tried stalls, loops and compared the facts of figures of DCS to the real thing - "The accuracy is amazing". I just thought I'd share a few images of the team trying out DCS as I know a few will be interested.

photo4_zps6d241648.jpg

photo2_zps7036ef6d.jpg

photo5_zps309070e6.jpg

photo3_zpscff20a6e.jpg

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

wow thats great

thanks for sharing buddy

tell us more about it

what did they say...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Awesome! Any comments about the head movement/shake in the DCS P-51?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Awesome! Any comments about the head movement/shake in the DCS P-51?

A nickel says it was turned off! ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You can tell by the way he's hunched forward that he's feeling the discrepancies in the zoom & FoV, as well as the differences in ergonomics. But, none of that's the fault of the sim, and is rather the fault of the sizes, shapes, and positions of the monitor and joystick (a problem that can't be solved without many thousands of dollars being expended by the simmer).

Edited by Echo38

Possibly. He could also just be trying to lower his head position at the top of a loop. The DCS P-51 is unique in having you fall up in your straps under negative g.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I spent abit of time talking to Ed and Dan after their flight, they were both very impressed. To quote Dan "you will not get much closer, unless your in my airplane"

Everything in the sim was turned on. We didnt have Track IR working as the hangar door was open and the light was interfering.

We also had Steve Hinton, Steve Hinton Jr as well as a few other pilots fly the sim and they were all very impressed.

Steve Hinton Jnr was a big fan and was talking about the sim quite alot over the course of both weekends.

They all tried things like the neg g push, wing stalling, wing buffetting and they were impressed with each and every thing they tried to catch the sim out with. What more can we say? hehe

One of the best things about the weekend was being able to speak to the real Stang pilots and compare what they thought of the sim vs the real experience.

We are back in September to meet up with some of the pilots, cant wait to see what they think then!

Pman

From what Dan & Ed said, everything they tried matched the figures they use in the real aircraft. One small discrepancy that Dan picked up on was the sensitivity of the rudder but, other than that, no other faults were mentioned by them. There are a few differences between the Mustangs that The Horsemen use and the variant modelled in the sim. DCS represents a completely stock aircraft where as there are a few changes made to the restored mounts that The Horsemen use. To begin with, none of the real pilots that we had try the sim (other than Nick Grey) could get the aircraft started. This is because, in most modern P-51s, the rear fuselage fuel tank has been removed. The Fuel cutoff valve is then removed ("it's just something else to go wrong") and the rear fuselage tank position is used as the fuel cut off position on the fuel selector. Stevo (Steve Hinton Jnr) also noticed, when doing his pre take-off checks, that the oil pressure did not drop when he fluctuated the RPM.

Over the last few months, we have had Steve Hinton, Dan Friedkin, Ed Shipley, Stevo (Steven Hinton Jnr), Nick Grey & Matt Nightingale try out DCS P-51 at our events at Duxford - All have been thoroughly impressed by the level of detail that has been achieved by the Eagle Dynamics team. It's hard to disagree with them ;) Dan was flying for a good 15 - 20 minutes and conducted his flight in exactly the same way as he would in the real aircraft

Edited by VH-Rock
  • Like 2

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Very cool! Interesting to hear what they had to say about it - good stuff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Cooler Master HAF X Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W PSU | EVGA Z270 Classified K |

Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.0 Ghz | 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD |

16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 @ 3200 MHZ | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | WD 6TB 7200 RPM |

Oculus Rift | TM HOTAS Warthog | 27" ASUS VG278H 3D monitor | Windows 10 64 bit |

From what Dan & Ed said, everything they tried matched the figures they use in the real aircraft. One small discrepancy that Dan picked up on was the sensitivity of the rudder but, other than that, no other faults were mentioned by them. There are a few differences between the Mustangs that The Horsemen use and the variant modelled in the sim. DCS represents a completely stock aircraft where as there are a few changes made to the restored mounts that The Horsemen use. To begin with, none of the real pilots that we had try the sim (other than Nick Grey) could get the aircraft started. This is because, in most modern P-51s, the rear fuselage fuel tank has been removed. The Fuel cutoff valve is then removed ("it's just something else to go wrong") and the rear fuselage tank position is used as the fuel cut off position on the fuel selector. Stevo (Steve Hinton Jnr) also noticed, when doing his pre take-off checks, that the oil pressure did not drop when he fluctuated the RPM.

Over the last few months, we have had Steve Hinton, Dan Friedkin, Ed Shipley, Stevo (Steven Hinton Jnr), Nick Grey & Matt Nightingale try out DCS P-51 at our events at Duxford - All have been thoroughly impressed by the level of detail that has been achieved by the Eagle Dynamics team. It's hard to disagree with them ;) Dan was flying for a good 15 - 20 minutes and conducted his flight in exactly the same way as he would in the real aircraft

thats interesting...what exactly did he say about the rudder behaviour?is it just too sensitive?did he try other curvature settings with it?

if so, did you/he find a setting which comes close to the real thing?

cheers

thats interesting...what exactly did he say about the rudder behaviour?is it just too sensitive?did he try other curvature settings with it?

if so, did you/he find a setting which comes close to the real thing?

cheers

He flew it on Rocks Pc which doesnt have any curves set for the rudder but does for the other axis.

I wonder how he would have commented with a force feedback joystick: no curves required.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cheers :) I've been aboard the DCS boat since 2009 with the 1.0.2 Shark and FC2 (and before that Flanker 2.5, Lock On and then FC1), but my old rig still hasn't allowed me to make the transition to World yet (mainly the low specs (unmodded HP 6050 from 2009) and 32-bit Vista I haven't had the time to upgrade, and the fact that it has been sitting aprox. 1300km away in a storage room since July, confining my flight simulation experience ever since to mobile versions of Strike Fighters).

Sorry for not being in touch, I still stalked the forums constantly and was delighted when I heard you guys transitioned to DCS :)

But as soon as I get that black box back (and give it a touch up) and grab a copy of the Pony we should definitely fly together again :D

• 1 month later...