TF-51/P-51D controller setup recommendations? CH Pro throttle, CH Throttle. Quadrent

Voyager

Starting to dabble in the DCS TF-51 and am looking for advice on controller setup and mappings, and over the years, I've accumulated a lot of different devices to work with :D.

Right now I'm trying to understand if it would be better to use a CH Pro throttle or their Throttle Quadrent for the engine stuff. I'm currently setting it up with the pedals and fighterstick, using an Occulus Rift VR headset. I've got both hand units, though not sure if they'll be useful.

I've also got the CH MFD with the extra buttons that could be added into the mix, though that may not work great in VR with a cat.

Ultimately if this works, I'd like to do combat flying and be able to reuse this setup or most of the setup with the P-47 whenever it gets released too.

So, thoughts?

Thank you,

Harry Voyager

I think using the Fighterstick and Pro Throttle is all you'll need for the P-51. More than enough buttons and it's more real for the plane.

Not sure about using the same profile for the Jug? Warbirds are easy to program. I'd do a new one.

Buzz

I use a CH throttle and used to use a Fighterstick.

With the P51, I mapped the boost level to the main axis, and the engine revs to a pair of digital buttons on the throttle. Works fine.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thank you. That's good to know. I think where I'm worrying about the parts are I'm given to understand the P-51 have both radiator flaps and oil coolers to manage, and the Thunderbolt may have the turbo waste gate to control too. I've read they can use a unified throttle control, but that to really push the envelope one needs to handle all the knobs.

I kind of want to try the Quadrant, but I also play other flight games that really need the buttons on the Pro throttle more than the army of levers, so there's a trade-off I have to decide on.

Edited by Voyager