DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Might do some more flying later, but first I have to recall how the hell one could switch between various types of speed and altitude measurements in F2 view. There was a key command for that, but I forgot it!

Left CRTL+Y will cycle through the options.

Left CRTL+Y will cycle through the options.

Nevertheless I tried the same "Evaluation" with the Bf 109 und the Dora.

In the Bf 109 TAS was more than 700kph, Fw 190 was pretty slow around 665kph. But according to sources of the Focke Wulf Company and evaluation flights taking place in January 1945 the performance must have been very similar to that of DCS.

For some reason it seems in DCS, it is very hard to get the P51 to its promised value.

Even at SL the plane can't reach its max speed unless you manually close the radiator. It seems that the Merlin engine overheats way too easily

We have to remember that real life tests were made with automatic radiator control.

When I have time I will try do my own tests again and post the results.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• 2 months later...

that homing instrument , jees that would be awesome . it is there but aint workin

:pilotfly:

i7-920, 12 GB DDR3 1600, Gigabyte x58 ud3r, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, 2x500GB SSD+1x250ssd, TrackIR 5 clip, screen 42 inches, and 21 inches, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick,t500rs,th8 shifter, Saitek Pro throttle, x controller, G11 keys

• 8 months later...

i could not identify any of the us liveries as "post war active service" (1950s...)

did i miss sth. or are there no such liveries with the vanilla module?

are there accurate post-war service liveries for other nations? the only one i found was an israeli (iaf) liverie...

There aren't any in stock game, but there are many custom ones available out there. Search Mustang liveries section of this forum for a few, and LockOn Files website for many more.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

ok. thanks.

hopefully one or two of these will find it's way in the stock game sometime. i don't fancy unofficial content because of the obvious multiplayer related reasons...

Don't count on that, very few make it and most multiplayer servers use community made skins as they are immersion increasing without being game breaking.

• 4 weeks later...

I might have a slight issue. I fly the Mustang in 2.5 and all assist is turned off. No rudder assist and 0% takeoff assist. When I land I use to keep the stick back to lock the tail wheel and correct with differential breaking. Now, when I break I see the rudder pedals in the sim move, not the toe break, but the rudder. It seems like the airplane helps me keep on track. Is there some assist I have missed or is this normal?

My latest project, the Multi Function Button Box can be found at Kickstarter.

No, it's not normal. Maybe game flight mode turned on by mistake in options? If not, duplicated assignments or technical controller issue would be my next bet.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 3 months later...
I might have a slight issue. I fly the Mustang in 2.5 and all assist is turned off. No rudder assist and 0% takeoff assist. When I land I use to keep the stick back to lock the tail wheel and correct with differential breaking. Now, when I break I see the rudder pedals in the sim move, not the toe break, but the rudder. It seems like the airplane helps me keep on track. Is there some assist I have missed or is this normal?

No, it's not normal. Maybe game flight mode turned on by mistake in options? If not, duplicated assignments or technical controller issue would be my next bet.

I can confirm the same behavior as JackFlash. Game Flight mode is not enabled. Key bindings are not double bound. Axis tuning is correct, deadzones accounted for and curves set etc. I have Auto Rudder unchecked and Landing Assistance set to 0. Verified server is not forcing game mode.

Simply taxing around I see the rudder moving on it's own as if it is trying to keep my taxiing straight. Taxi up to 10 knots then push the stick forward to unlock the tail wheel. You will see the rudder move on its own to the left as it tries to keep you straight.

Go to extrenal view: taxiing straght ahead, I go full right deflection on rudders then ease off the rudders. Before I get back to the neutral position I can see my rudder swings to the left as it compensates.

Also, a some speed, my rudder authority is being limited. From external view: from a dead stop with full rudder deflection, I slowly increase taxi speed and I've noticed that at some speed (between 7 and 10 knots) the rudder will snap back from full deflection to some intermediate position. Above that speed I can no longer see full deflection on my rudder. Bringing up the Controls Indicator (Rctrl+Enter) I see the rudder input bar is grayed out at the edges (this indicates the toe-brake axis I believe). Below a certain speed the rudder will indicate to the far edge of the input bar but above a certain speed the rudder snaps back into the red bar area (see screenshots).

Screenshots of Rudder Deflection Behavior: https://imgur.com/a/zVncM18

I see no noticeable change in behavior with different combinations of Auto Rudder and Takeoff Assistance enabled/disabled. It seems like enabling or disabling those options has no effect.

^ I've just checked in 2.5.1OB, as it's the only version I've got running at the moment, and the symptoms you describe are 100% indicating auto-rudder option physics being on.

Just to make sure, you're not flying P-51D after setting up TF-51D options by mistake (or vice versa), don't you?

If not, what can I say, run game cleanup and repair commands, or reinstall module as a last resort, because that's not how the plane should behave with auto rudder off and takeoff assist off.

Per Nick Gray you won't see full rudder deflection in a warbird at speed because the forces applied to the rudder externally are more than any pilot can overcome with his legs. This will only change when you lose an elevevator - 50% less surface allows you to put more deflection in.

• 4 months later...
Sorry for the brand new, newbie guy question, but I checked the P-51 FAQ section and did not see an answer; I have DCS 2.5.3 which includes the P-51 (free version). Is there any reason to buy the P-51 module or is it exactly the same as the P-51 in 2.5.3? Thanks!

The free version is not a fighter ,i.e. no guns... Flys the same ,etc..Also with the module there are some quick missions, campaigns, skins, etc.

More or less TF51 related.

Is there a way to turn smoke on in both Planes? P-51 and TF-51?

Just startet to train myself to participate in the virtual airrace, maybe next season.

First, you have to add the smoke dischargers to your armaments. They will be mounted on the bomb racks, and look a little bit like rockets.

Then in-flight, activate them by using the bomb switches on the front switch panel, behind the control stick, below the instrument panel.

Flip the switch upward to the LEFT RIGHT CHEM RELEASE positions, and off you go :pilotfly:

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

P-51 Stalls

Hey just got the full version of the P-51d awesome aircraft but flying it in a dog fight is a bit more challenging.

I'm finding that when i do say a Split-S, when I get inverted it wants to correct itself (dose'nt like being upside down) but all parameters are meet (i think) eg speed is over 350m with reduced throttle to compensate for the dive.

Any suggestion please....

MSI Z370 Gaming pro carbon/ I7 8700K/ 32GB DDR4/ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X graphics card/ Windows 10/ Vive VR/ Rhino X-55 joystick & throttle/ logitec flight pedals

What do you mean correct itself? Try and make sure you are coordinated on the rudder, and generally try and give smooth movements on the stick rather than fast/jerky yanks.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

landing question,...from u-tube vids/the manual, etc the landing procedures seem to vary quite a lot, even from the tutorial to the manual, one thing I'm a bit puzzled over is the fact that manual and tutorial say to put rpm at 2700, and keep (forgot exact number) manifold around 30/35.

the only way I found to do that is not explained anywhere, but to lock the rpm lever as otherwise the rpm/manifold are connected.

my landings are getting better now not using this way but a controlled decent with full flaps and gear on downward glide scope, a way the reapers do it.

manual again is different referring to flap use.

is there an updated or better manual?

how do you guys land?

It gets easier with practice. The key is to touch the throttle as little as possible. The Mustang seems very sensitive to power changes at slow speeds, causing that big nose to yaw widely back and forth which really throws off my aiming point. So I try to come in at ~110 on final, throttle and RPM in fixed position, glide it down. Once nearing the runway I straighten out and fly level above the ground while easing throttle back slowly.

I find the biggest problem with the Mustang is the tendency to bounce on landing. When I was less experienced, I bounced a lot and you see the same in the Grim Reapers videos from new pilots. It's dangerous and can easily lead to stalling a wing and crashing. So come down and then just fly straight above the runway while dropping power. It'll settle down on it's own without the excess speed that leads to the bounce.