Changed key bindings

Lange_666

Since a year or two, i'm only flying in the stable version because of a few hickups in the beta each time it was updated. I could even wait for the F-18 to be intergrated in the stable version.

But since i bought the F-16C i wanted to fly it without waiting for the stable version so i decided to install a second version which was offcourse the beta one.

So lately i only flew in the beta and today i had some friends over and i thought about switching from the F-16C to the A-10C.

Switched HOTAS profiles, entered the beta, picked the A-10C in my show off mission, flew out to the target area setting up the weapons, TGP and other stuff, fired a few missiles and then went in for a gun strafe.

On the dive down i squeezed the trigger...NOTHING...NO GUN. NO BBRRRRRPP !!!

Mmm, did i remember it wrong? It was SPACE on keyboard to fire the gun right? Pressing the SPACE key on the keyboard did nothing.

Exit, looked at the controls and there is said: LEFT SHIFT + SPACE.

Mmm... i went into my HOTAS profile for the A-10C, looked through the macrofile: Gun_Trigger = SPC

I then thought, crap did they change it? Again...

So i opened op the stable version this time, went into the controls and yes... Gun_Trigger = SPACE.

ED... sorry but this is crap. What's the reason for this change?

Now i have to make 2 HOTAS profiles, one stable and one beta? Seriously?

I really really have something else to do with my precious time!!!

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

...Now i have to make 2 HOTAS profiles, one stable and one beta? Seriously?

Cant you just rebind the command on your Openbeta and leave it with just SPACE? ... it would surely take less time than writing this thread :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I do not use profiles, I set hotas buttons directly in the game. I find less software Is Always Better if you can.

This is almost universally the best solution. If a game requires you to use profiles, it's either time to find something made this century, or it's so badly done that it's probably not worth even trying to play. :joystick:

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Cant you just rebind the command on your Openbeta and leave it with just SPACE? ... it would surely take less time than writing this thread :)

I did but that's not my point. I would like to know through the means of a changelog or whatever so i don't stumble over it without knowing and get my experience ****ed-up... again. It's not the first time this happened.

It could be done through a warning message after an update or so so i can address the problem before i start playing. It just annoys me, so yes... it was worth the time to write the thread...;)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I use the in game bindings, not a profile for my Warthog HOTAS. Try looking at the Grim Reapers tutorial on Key bindings.

I used to have all sorts of problems with bindings changing after updates/release of new modules. And I certainly could NOT copy my binding files between the OB version and the release version, simply did not work. BUT when I adopted the GR approach of 1) Set Bindings as desired for the module you want to fly 2) For each 'device' Keyboard , Joystick, Throttle , Rudder and Mouse (if you bind mouse buttons, I don't) save each device's profile to a distinct named file ( click on a binding in the relevant column, then use save profile). e.g. For A10C I save files A10CKBD.diff.lua , A10CJST.diff.lua , A10CTHR.diff.lua into my Users/username/Saved Games/DCS folder). I do this for every module I have so I end up with lots of xxxx.diff.lua files BUT ITS WORTH IT. Since then I have had NO ISSUES whatsoever with key bindings changing, AND I can copy the files between DCS and DCS Open Beta and they work. The sim keeps track of which files to load when you fly each module. OH be careful if making changes whilst in a mission .. it by defaults saves in the Users/username/Saved Games/DCS/Missions folder, it seems to work more reliably to save in the higher level folder Users/username/Saved Games/DCS (or DCS.Openbeta if using the open beta installation)
Edited by Silversmith

I do not use profiles, I set hotas buttons directly in the game. I find less software Is Always Better if you can.

Not really, at least not with the Hotas software of my TM Cougar .. not only is the profile more powerful than DCS's Controls Editor, for example I can easily program one action for the press of a button, and another for the release, as well as program several actions in sequence for a single button press; but having the profiles stored away from DCS means that I've never ever lost bindings after a DCS update :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB