Harrier worth half off?

Gwalker99

That wish has been around for quite a while. The cool thing about the zone concept is, mission designers could easily adapt roads, or even grass strips as expeditionary airstrips by putting some tires, or if we could get them lights, or cones on the side of the road or field to mark the "runway". Light jets can land on grass and fields, roads etc. Helos, anyway. If we get Marsden matting, we could do real expeditionary airfields, like with SUNTSAGS mods, but that is just icing on the cake. I would be totally happy with a zone, that maybe requires a couple of ground units nearby to provide fuel, ammo, repair.

Yeah, just having an actual runway to operate off of would be the cool thing. Helo's don't need the farp anyway, just have a fuel and ammo vehicle pair and you're GTG if you are within X distance (this would work for fixed wings in a pinch too really).

ED Translator means regular forum member passionate enough to volunteer helping translate the content in your free time, as a help to the community members that aren't fluent in english. I mostly help with missions, for the modules and campaigns. Military background helps with the lingo... ;)

Cool, I've seen the term around for a few members but didn't know what it actually meant or entailed. Thanks for your service!

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: in-between the Tarawa worked pretty well in the OpenBeta, for nearly a year, it looks like the old version has been compiled into the current build.

I could cold start and hot start Harrier from the Tarawa, even spawn Hueys and fly SpecOps insertion from the boat. Though the helos spawn from the same position 7 near the Island's rear as the Harriers, opposed to the correct spots forward and starboard of the Island. Now, the helicopters spawn beside the deck and drop into the ocean again. As far as I understood, this is something ED needs to integrate into the carrier mechanics/behaviour, as part of the changes coming with the new carrier module.

Let's hope it is easy to fix. In theory it's just adjusting the spawn position(s) and allow the type of aircraft (VTOL) to spawn on deck, but that would be too easy I guess. We don't know how the effects of deck pitching, friction in surfaces, weight, drag calculations etc. create dependencies to other parts of the code, for a "simple" spawn... and that was just an educated guess. ;)

I've heard that it used to work. My main complaint is the online spawn. When I first started flying the harrier it worked fine offline and still does IIRC, though I think I've only done hot starts for a long while.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That.

Is

THE

biggest

issue

for any mission that runs consecutively after another aka 'campaign'. You can't dynamically create them, have to Physically Touch the model to get services and it stems from the same single sortie issue as the entire bedrock of DCS that draws from a single table of content that can't be manipulated in so many ways after the mission is loaded to memory. And it's ugly, although you could theoretically do something about that.

It's a bit unfair that the usage of the module is tarnished with DCS's limitaitons on it and is a bit OT, but Harriers role is quite exciting in real world, the concept that a minature airforce of 6-8 supports Marine landings, and yet we don't have:

1) Farps that can be useful, spawned or look real

2) Embarking, disembarking troops/vehicles (from ship/vehicle)

3) A properly working Muliplayer Tarawa

4) Ships that can get anywhere close to shore

5) AAV7's that can path properly if they are spawned from a ship if you go down the scripted route

Which means the Harriers usage in DCS is pretty restricted, it should have the coolest role of them all, in my opinion at least, but the surrounding DCS environment is a little contributory to it's passionate complaints.

I totally agree on the real world usage. Again, passionate griping. It would be amazing to do an actual amphib assault on a beach from the tarawa supported by harriers/helos.

For now I'd happily settle for being able to spawn online and having a farp with a runway on it. Oh the tyranny of low expectations.

We have been flying the Harrier since release here at UK Navalops and we think it's a fantastic plane. Sure there are a few features still missing but SHOW STOPPING BUGS?????? Just don't listen to these people as they are the same people who moan all the time and frankly probably don't know their elbow from their ass so just don't listen to them...The harrier is great at no matter what price

I have a suggestion, Mr. "Don't Listen To". How about we don't listen to your fanboyish bs instead?

Yes, showstopping bugs. Been plenty of them. Too many to mention. They are all in the bugs section. They're right there.

Harrier hasn't made any meaningful progress in development over the years and is very likely to remain in perma-EA state.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Yep, that's one of the reasons they hired another coder, I guess. Great move, if you ask me.

Excellent move!!! Just awesome!!! Next time, they should hire another coder in advance and appoint it to the upcoming project instead of taking a coder who knows the code away from the existing "early access" and "in development" one.

You people never cease to amaze. Great move my ass.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Excellent move!!! Just awesome!!! Next time, they should hire another coder in advance and appoint it to the upcoming project instead of taking a coder who knows the code away from the existing "early access" and "in development" one.

You people never cease to amaze. Great move my ass.

...think you missed that: (...)"And keep in mind that you don't have dozens of competent programmers with aviation background and system knowledge waiting for an opportunity...

This is a niche product, that uses a proprietary environment (DCS SDK) that you don't learn in the university or on any other job. So while programming skills may help, the intricacies of the DCS API and environment you need to learn on the job."(...)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

...think you missed that: (...)"And keep in mind that you don't have dozens of competent programmers with aviation background and system knowledge waiting for an opportunity...

This is a niche product, that uses a proprietary environment (DCS SDK) that you don't learn in the university or on any other job. So while programming skills may help, the intricacies of the DCS API and environment you need to learn on the job."(...)

Except you don't strictly need a programmer with aviation background. You need an aeronautical engineer and a programmer to work in tandem. Still, putting EA projects on hold for long periods of time is unacceptable.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Except you don't strictly need a programmer with aviation background. You need an aeronautical engineer and a programmer to work in tandem. Still, putting EA projects on hold for long periods of time is unacceptable.

You guys are talking about what programmers or engineers are needed and the lack of them.

Well, it might seem stupid but how about this: if you don't have what you need to produce something, don't produce it and above all, don't sell it!

If they got into the business of making the Harrier, they sold the "project" and promise to complete it, one woudl assume they have evaluated what skills and resources they need and have them available or within reach.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

You guys are talking about what programmers or engineers are needed and the lack of them.

Well, it might seem stupid but how about this: if you don't have what you need to produce something, don't produce it and above all, don't sell it!

If they got into the business of making the Harrier, they sold the "project" and promise to complete it, one woudl assume they have evaluated what skills and resources they need and have them available or within reach.

+1000000

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Well, I do not worry about those things anymore since Hawk situation made ED change the licensing among 3rd parties that if they at any given point get out from DCS, ED will receive all the codes etc to get the module for them.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I mean its fairy clear that they bit off more than they could chew with DCS version of the harrier. They had another one it another "sim" that was likely much simpler so they probably figured hey, why not. I think the mig19 was a cash grab on their part so they could keep going on the other modules, fairly simple to make relatively speaking systems wise compared to the m2k and harrier. And more or less I think they did an ok job with it aside from the initial release which was a dumpster fire.

What I really can't understand is, they can't manage to finish / fix the Harrier since two years.

They announced now three other modules. Including the F-15, which seems to be even more complex then the Harrier.

In the newsletter, ED praises Razbam for doing an excellent job on the M2K, Harrier and Mig-19. Also ED says that they are sure that Razbam will exceed the expectations.

All that doesn't fit for me. In no way.

I'm excited what this year will bring us...

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Ever worked in IT Projects?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

What I really can't understand is, they can't manage to finish / fix the Harrier since two years.

I can, 2 years is a completely unreasonable expectation, it took ED 5 years to complete the A-10C, the MIG-21Bis is still unfinished now and it’s been out for 4 years, both aircraft are less complex then the harrier NA.

Welcome to DCS.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I can, 2 years is a completely unreasonable expectation, it took ED 5 years to complete the A-10C, the MIG-21Bis is still unfinished now and it’s been out for 4 years, both aircraft are less complex then the harrier NA.

Welcome to DCS.

Hey, some people actually remember the state the A-10C was released in, so please keep those fairytales to yourself. It was a complete retail module on release, sold on physical media. No "5 year" bs, please.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Hey, some people actually remember the state the A-10C was released in, so please keep those fairytales to yourself. It was a complete retail module on release, sold on physical media. No "5 year" bs, please.

Yeah I was there, it was full of bugs and missing features at launch and was for YEARS after. Not to mention the core was way more simplistic back then. Also Explain mig-21 to me, explain C-101 to me, explain Viggin to me, explain why it’s ok for everyone else to put their products in EA for 2 plus years but not Harrier. The most unique aircraft in game.

Welcome to DCS, if you think you can do a better job why don’t you seek third party status with ED and build your own harrier, and we’ll see how long it takes you. Oh wait, you better not that would be ridiculous, and unreasonable just like yours and viper’s posts.

It’s a wonder why razbam never communicates on these forums anymore.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Yeah I was there, it was full of bugs and missing features at launch and was for YEARS after. Not to mention the core was way more simplistic back then. Also Explain mig-21 to me, explain C-101 to me, explain Viggin to me, explain why it’s ok for everyone else to put their products in EA for 2 plus years but not Harrier. The most unique aircraft in game.

Welcome to DCS, if you think you can do a better job why don’t you seek third party status with ED and build your own harrier, and we’ll see how long it takes you. Oh wait, you better not that would be ridiculous, and unreasonable just like yours and viper’s posts.

It’s a wonder why razbam never communicates on these forums anymore.

Look, bro. I still have my DVD here. It worked, it flew, it didn't constantly CTD. I completed the campaign using all the main weapons which were modelled immediately on release. No bug-ridden EA JDAMs. We're talking Harrier vs. properly released module here. Why should I compare it to other wrecks like the MiG-21?

C-101, by the way, is slowly being done without any ambitious plans for new modules. They just WORK. And don't hype on the F-15E fame like RAZBAM do. And for that alone, they deserve respect. I actually started flying the C-101 recently. It even has a working (albeit glitchy) multicrew.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Look, bro. I still have my DVD here. It worked, it flew, it didn't constantly CTD. I completed the campaign using all the main weapons which were modelled immediately on release. No bug-ridden EA JDAMs. We're talking Harrier vs. properly released module here. Why should I compare it to other wrecks like the MiG-21?

C-101, by the way, is slowly being done without any ambitious plans for new modules. They just WORK. And don't hype on the F-15E fame like RAZBAM do. And for that alone, they deserve respect. I actually started flying the C-101 recently. It even has a working (albeit glitchy) multicrew.

The F15 has been public knowledge for half a year and is still on HOLD until our existing modules are complete as promised.

We haven't shared any new news or info on the Eagle, its NOT being worked on until the others are finished.

Not sure why everyone is getting upset about old images being reshared, nothing has changed !

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Just for interest sake.

How long did the A10C take from start to release?

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

The F15 has been public knowledge for half a year and is still on HOLD until our existing modules are complete as promised.

We haven't shared any new news or info on the Eagle, its NOT being worked on until the others are finished.

Not sure why everyone is getting upset about old images being reshared, nothing has changed !

Now that is welcome news indeed! Happy to hear the Harrier will get its much needed attention. We crashed to desktop 4 times yesterday when employing JDAMs.

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Just for interest sake.

How long did the A10C take from start to release?

It was released before DCS World was even a thing. It was a standalone sim released after the Black Shark 1. It was feature-complete on release, mainly because it was released on physical DVD media. It had a complete manual, training missions and campaigns. So, yeah...

My controls & seat

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

Pilot seat

Now that is welcome news indeed! Happy to hear the Harrier will get its much needed attention. We crashed to desktop 4 times yesterday when employing JDAMs.
Send me a track file and we can look at it to see what's happening

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2