Community WW2 Speed test - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
Reflected

Reputation power: 17
Reflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of light
Default Community WW2 Speed test

I was curious and I ran some speed tests on WW2 planes. I would like some other volunteers to post how fast they can go. This is not to prove any points, I'm just curious what you can get out of the same planes I also fly.

Rules:
-15 C
-1013,25 hPa (29.92 Hgin)
-Normandy map, flying parallel to the coast below the cliffs
-IAS as read from the outside view info bar in knots, not from the gauges
-full fuel load except for P-51 (50%)
-Make sure you fly level for long enough to compensate for any excess speed gained from the slightest dive
-Use maximum power and trim to achieve higher speeds

So here are my results:

P-51: 320 kts
Spitfire: 292 kts
109: 316 kts
190: 322 kts

How fast can you go?

My Music
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,6 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / TrackIR 4 PRO
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Solty

Reputation power: 8
Solty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the rough

There is one main error. You should start by accelerating to the highest speed, not waiting till the speed drops from a dive. Engine heats up at lower speeds and radiators open and do not allow the plane to get faster, but wen you dive down the speed drop is going to be lower because you were cooled for the duration of a dive.

So if it is not standarised and for example you dove in the 109 but accelerated in the 190, then the data skewed in favour of the 109 etc. You also get different results between planes depending on their cooling efficiency.

EDIT: What are the power settings, altitude and all other settings? (radiator position, mixture, air temperature etc.)

Did we get any FM improvements/changes for those planes? I haven't flown for a month following the advice of the moderators to take a break from the game.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Last edited by Solty; 12-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Reflected

Reputation power: 17
Reflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of lightReflected is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't dive during any of the tests. I took off and accelerated just above the waves, below the cliffs. that's all. Max power, rads on auto (otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain this speed for long) These are not official tests, I'm just curious how fast you can go.

My Music
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,6 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / TrackIR 4 PRO
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Solty

Reputation power: 8
Solty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
I didn't dive during any of the tests. I took off and accelerated just above the waves, below the cliffs. that's all. Max power, rads on auto (otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain this speed for long) These are not official tests, I'm just curious how fast you can go.
OK, cool. Good to know.

BTW you can switch to TAS clicking Shift+ Y or something.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
Echo38

Reputation power: 18
Echo38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of light

A few months back, there was some discussion about a bug exploit that some of the competitive virtual air racers use to get some extra speed out of their virtual aircraft. They were getting speeds higher than you can get using the methods which were used to get max speed IRL.

This needs to be taken into account for the whole standardization thing.
Echo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

IIRC the statement I read was something like, "I know an exploit to get more speed out of AC-x, but I'm not going to tell anybody what it is".

So if ED does not know what the exploit is, how are they going to fix it?

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote