Improved FLIR Simulation

Wizard1393

Improved FLIR Simulation  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Improved FLIR Simulation

• Yes, targets are very hard to find against the terrain
    • No, keep it as is.

• ED Team

Hey guys, chances are changes to the FLIR system will be one of the last things to happen with the graphics engine (you want to build your flir system around the new shaders, effects, etc not the old ones and have to redo your work again), once everything is set, they can then work on making FLIR look its best, but this is all guessing on my part, the last news we heard on it is the latest news we have on it, as always, if there is an update on this or any other coming features we will find them in the newsletter.

As well... please stay on topic. The guy building submarine models doesnt work on FLIR simulation and graphics shaders, so think about it before using it as your point.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SiThSpAwN,

I've been flying much more recently (as opposed to doing software stuff) and can confirm that the assertions made in this thread are indeed very much to the point. The first indication I received that there might be a problem was UltraMFCD users saying (more or less a direct average-quote) "Thanks for the update, but I'm not going to be flying until they fix the FLIR problem".

Of course, I take these comments with as much a pinch of salt as you do. It wasn't until I started flying missions again that the extent and severity of the problem became apparent. FLIR systems are now so impaired that night flying is impractical for all but the most experienced users. In my personal experience the difference is, no pun intended, like night and day.

I'm more than happy to provide screenshots/slides to support the overall assertion should that be required.

What my request would be is the following: Perhaps this could be elevated from "Request for improvement" status to "There is a real bug" status? Or some such. This is, of course, my diplomatic tuppence, but I think a point of concern should be that people are avoiding the software as a whole until the problem is resolved.

Best regards,

Baker

UltraMFCD 3.0 in the works.

https://ultramfcd.com

• 2 months later...

Heck, I stopped flying because of the degredation,,, flat out sux for me and I know I'm not alone. Some have better success with personal adjustments. I'm tired of fiddling with stuff myself. Here's hoping for a cure!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Heck, I stopped flying because of the degredation,,, flat out sux for me and I know I'm not alone. Some have better success with personal adjustments. I'm tired of fiddling with stuff myself. Here's hoping for a cure!

I feel you man. It's really frustrating having to glue your eyes onto the monitor just to try to spot anything. As much as I love the A--10, this issue really ruins it for me.

I dont think it will show up till after the Merge, They do know the importance of it, but until the graphics engine is all dialed in, I think this will have to wait.

So, any improvements?

Merge hasn't happened yet.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I very much doubt they would have made much progress on this until the new rendering engine was out of the door and had most of the kinks worked out. However on the other hand, if they are using the same sort of IR method that arma 2 used, then having to retexture everything in the game would also be a good opportunity to create the thermal textures.

• 3 months later...
I guess I found a workaround, more or less by accident.

Applying the workaround:

1. Check your visibility range setting: Options -> System -> VISIB RANGE

2. Edit the appropriate Lua file in \Config\terrain using Notepad++:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\terrain\{WHATEVER}.lua
(1.5 OpenBeta default path)

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\terrain\{WHATEVER}.lua
(1.5 Public/Release version default path)

(Should be one of Low.lua, Medium.lua, High.lua, Ultra.lua or Extreme.lua)

3. Change the noisemax value to 0.5:

--Old Noise 
land_noise =
{
noisemin = 0.0;
[b]noisemax = 0.5;[/b]
noise1front = 1000.0; 
noise1back = 30000.0;
noise1top = 2500.0;
noise1bottom = 2000.0;
noise1PerSquare = 4.0;
noise2PerSquare = 150.0;
}

4. Launch DCS and happy hunting. :thumbup:

Will this pass integrity checks?

There was no IC when I first did that. ;)

It would be really cool if you could test that and report back here.

I won't be at my PC for like another 10 days, so if someone doesn't get to it before I do, I'll be happy to.

Integrity Checks and blurry TGPs are the two things keeping me and many other away from DCS right now.

Should the TGP's FLIR be improved/fixed?

Although there are already multiple posts regarding this topic, I've created this poll simply to see how many people see this as an issue.

For those who haven't already noticed, targets are extremely hard to find in the WHOT/BHOT modes of the TGP because of how they blend in with the terrain.

Below are some single posts that basically summarize the problem:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2610156&postcount=31

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2610649&postcount=38

Below are two threads about this topic:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=156085

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=153308

Many of us aren't expecting ED to rush in, put this up at #1 on their to-do list, and fix it immediately. All we want is acknowledgement that this is a problem and that it will be looked at eventually.

Np. I hope I get a high amount of responses in the poll, hopefully that might prompt ED to at least address this issue

Honestly, I think it's not worth it. This has been an issue pretty much since 1.5 first came out. I don't think they're going to fix it now no matter how loud we yell.

I'm just hoping that it'll finally get resolved when the F/A-18 comes out.

Honestly, I think it's not worth it. This has been an issue pretty much since 1.5 first came out. I don't think they're going to fix it now no matter how loud we yell.

I'm just hoping that it'll finally get resolved when the F/A-18 comes out.

Yeah, I thought if at least like 100 people voted yes, they might at least RECOGNIZE the problem, but it seems that most people who view it don't even vote

Edit: only 20/126 people that have viewed the thread actually voted

Voted yes, I'd like to see this fixed too.

With the Hornet and the Harrier on the way, it's no longer just the A10-C now. The problem is going to get bigger!.

Hope they find the time to fix this.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

No brainer, this is the thing that is a deal breaker for me, many times I have had to resort to labels, as I just cant find the dam target sometimes...

Now imagine that on the 104th, where there are no labels, and you have to search through an entire town and the surrounding area for targets to kill in order to progress to the next target area :protest::ranting: