DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

Home Fries

DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs  

19 members have voted

1. 1. DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar and Warthog + MFDs

• Keep DH/DT with Hdg Hold and BA/RA with Alt Hold (keep apples with apples)
    • Map BA/RA with Hdg Hold and DH/DTwith Alt Hold (like actual panel switches)

HomeFries

Glad I could help.

When I run 1.70, it lists all 4 MFDs and the TM rudder, but then only activates the joystick, throttle and 2 MFDs so I think you are right.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Hi Home Fries,

I just wanted to give you a heads-up. I'm not sure if you intended to fix the issue with the F-15C airbrake using the cougar in your latest 1.70 release, but it still does not work correctly. I still have to use files from 1.30. Just informing you buddy in case you was not aware.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

No problem, pimp.

I haven't forgotten; I just wanted to get 1.70 out before my schedule hit me again. As it is, I checked the operation of the F-15 the other night and it works like it should with the Warthog. This means the problem is likely with the Cougar code. I'll dig into it and have a fix for 1.71.

No problem, pimp.

I haven't forgotten; I just wanted to get 1.70 out before my schedule hit me again. As it is, I checked the operation of the F-15 the other night and it works like it should with the Warthog. This means the problem is likely with the Cougar code. I'll dig into it and have a fix for 1.71.

Cool, no worries. At least I can use the older files to get it to work.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I am newbie so if this is a dumb question then please be gentle with me and point me in the right direction.

I have just purchased a new Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and 2 MFD's to go with my VBK Gladiator Pro Mk 2 and MFG Crosswinds but saw your profiles for some of the WW 2 aircraft and thought since I had got Normandy and the aircraft It would be great to use your profiles.

However there are a couple of Q's

1) Will the script work in the latest version of DCS which is required for Normandy.

2) Can the script be used to NOT use a TM Joystick as obviously the VBK uses it's own software and programming.

Blueleopard,

It's not a dumb question at all, but unfortunately the answer is not the one you want. The script depends heavily on the stick for modifiers, which is necessary to use a lot of the features including changing profiles on the fly. However, feel free to use the HOTAS guides and MFD inserts as a basis for your own control mapping; I have tried to map things as close to the real thing as possible.

However, if you were to get a Warthog stick, then the profile would work with DCS2. I don't support DCS2 (making a profile work for 2 versions is a lot of work and is sometimes impossible), but I have no problem using my profile in Normandy/NTTR either.

Really appreciate you getting back to me it's a shame but I thought as much.

Realistically I love my VBK stick and had they produced a throttle I would have gone that route but the some day soon ... wait and see didn't work for now.

I will without doubt be using your HOTAS guides and MFD inserts to work with I love the work you have done on behalf of the forum.

If you ever get the urge to to get a new stick you would not be disappointed with the VBK range and they are introducing a new grip later this year for modern jets.

• 1 month later...

Hi Home Fries, first of all many thanks for these wonderful profiles. I have been using your profiles for quite some time now, well ever since I upgraded to a Win10 machine. I have a HOTAS Cougar and well I opted to drop Foxy for Target. I am a newbie when it comes to Target. I have set your profiles successfully but there is one thing that I can never get to work, the MICROSTICK on the Cougar to control the TDC. I was able to do it in the Foxy days and I know the stick works but I can never get it to work. (I have set the axis as suggested in the guide)

I have seen these two posts regarding the Cougar's Microstick with TDC:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=168075&highlight=hotas+cougar+microstick

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134867

I was wondering if you had any more input with regards to this, since you mention you are Cougar user. Different axis setups are suggested but I can't get either to work. Where should I place the Target code in the posts? When I open the Target script editor axis tester the microstick never works and cant set the axis on DCS either.

Hope you or somebody else with this issue is able to help.

AmimalMother,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've been away from my PC.

The profile is Cougar compatible (and was originally Cougar only before it became dual-compatible), so with regards to getting the TDC to work, it shouldn't be an issue. That said, I also don't run Windows 10, but one of my testers has a Cougar and Windows 10 and he's reported no issues.

To further troubleshoot your issue, I need to know your CCP settings (especially if you have gameport rudders with toe brakes) and what module you are trying to get working. If you don't have CCP loaded because you aren't supposed to need it in Windows 10, then see if you can move the microstick in the HID settings (type joy.cpl at the start window to run this). If you do have CCP installed, the proper settings are listed in the Setup Guide.

Best,

HF

Hi HF, Yeah, I do have CCP installed and it is setup like the guide, see attachment. I dont have rudder pedals attached so axis 6 is disabled. I have also attached a screen shot of the Device Analyzer while moving all the axis. Which should the microstick be here? (combined) In the picture axis Z is the throttle Rx is ANT ELEV, and Slider0 is MAN RNG. I am also holding the microstick button. Ry, Rz and Throttle never move. What should the name of the microstick axis be inside the game? On joy.cpl when the script is running I see the exact same behavior as the Device Analyzer. Without the script running viewing the axis in joy.cpl opens the Thrustmaster tool (I have CCP installed), and you can't see the microstick axis there as far as I know.

Thanks for the help.

axis-setup-ccp.png.5a2f90cc45fa8306d8398ee8ef150272.png

script.thumb.png.ee41a0e314dc26dbc67ecc9a62439c05.png

I just wanted to give you a heads-up. I'm not sure if you intended to fix the issue with the F-15C airbrake using the cougar in your latest 1.70 release, but it still does not work correctly. I still have to use files from 1.30. Just informing you buddy in case you was not aware.

Pimp,

I tested this issue with my Cougar last night (putting finishing touches on 1.71) and I was unable to duplicate the problem. The F-15 brake worked as advertised: T9 opened the brake until release (where it stopped in mid deployment, and T10 retracted the brake while held in the same way.

You may wish to give 1.71 a try shortly and see if it works for you.

Hi HF, Yeah, I do have CCP installed and it is setup like the guide, see attachment. I dont have rudder pedals attached so axis 6 is disabled. I have also attached a screen shot of the Device Analyzer while moving all the axis. Which should the microstick be here? (combined) In the picture axis Z is the throttle Rx is ANT ELEV, and Slider0 is MAN RNG. I am also holding the microstick button. Ry, Rz and Throttle never move. What should the name of the microstick axis be inside the game? On joy.cpl when the script is running I see the exact same behavior as the Device Analyzer. Without the script running viewing the axis in joy.cpl opens the Thrustmaster tool (I have CCP installed), and you can't see the microstick axis there as far as I know.

Thanks for the help.

Looking at your device analyzer, the microstick axes on TM Combined are RY for the Y axis, and Throttle for the X axis (on the left side under HOTAS Cougar it should be Slider1). This is a long-standing bug with the TARGET software that was probably left in so it wouldn't ruin existing profiles. Bottom line: if you can see RY and Throttle moving in the Device Analyzer, the microstick works. If you don't see it moving under TM Combined, see if it's moving under the HOTAS Cougar. If it moves on one and not the other, it may be a profile issue, in which case let me know. If neither is moving, it may be a hardware issue. If both are moving but you can't get it to work in-game, let me know what module you're trying to get working.

Hope this helps.

HF

Looking at your device analyzer, the microstick axes on TM Combined are RY for the Y axis, and Throttle for the X axis (on the left side under HOTAS Cougar it should be Slider1). This is a long-standing bug with the TARGET software that was probably left in so it wouldn't ruin existing profiles. Bottom line: if you can see RY and Throttle moving in the Device Analyzer, the microstick works. If you don't see it moving under TM Combined, see if it's moving under the HOTAS Cougar. If it moves on one and not the other, it may be a profile issue, in which case let me know. If neither is moving, it may be a hardware issue. If both are moving but you can't get it to work in-game, let me know what module you're trying to get working.

Hope this helps.

HF

Hey so after some more experimentation that issue is probably hardware, I am not gonna lie, ever since I got this stick (new) it has always been finicky. For example back in the day when I got it I could never get it to install the drivers on AMD based chipsets, no issues with Intel chipset though.

The issue I am seeing is that when I change the axis in CCP to the guide settings (or any other change I make) and select "User Mode" the axis are indeed changed although sometimes the stick becomes unresponsive and I have to reconnect the stick. When it works though and I go to the "Viewer" in CCP I can see the axis switch but the stick behaves really strangely. I guess the best way to describe it is that it loses resolution, with only moving the axis to there maximum will actually register from what I can see in the Viewer. The same happens if I run your script with Target and check the axis through there. (same behavior in game)

Have you ever heard of an issue like this? I also tried saving the axis to a profile and make CCP change the settings at startup but the same weird behavior happens.

When I said your script never worked with microstick is simply because the stick wasn't in User Mode in CCP, and if I do apply the changes and run User Mode the above behavior happens.

Anyways, I am back using Foxy with the axis at defaults so I don't run into the strange issue. I can set the microstick for mouse or key emulation no problems.

Back to the Foxy manual it is.

Edited by AmimalMother

Home Fries

I have never used your profiles for any FC3 aircraft as the chart was very confusing. Now that the Su-33 has been upgraded, are you considering doing a separate profile for that aircraft (and maybe the F15) while we all wait for the F18, F14, etc???

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I do have separate profiles for each aircraft, and I will be doing a Separate Su-33 as well (right now it shares with the Su-27).

I'm working on 2.0 of the script, and part of that is revising the overlays to individual aircraft.

Hi Homefries,

Thanks again for you amazing profile and consistent updates.

I have a question: way earlier on , i was using a script that had the capacity to change on the fly the curves by pressing a button. That was very handy for helping on the refuelling.

Would it be possible to add such a function into your profile ?

Thanks you again for all the work.

Kind regards,

Cobra

No separate mfd and WH diagrams?

Edited by sobe

No separate mfd and WH diagrams?

Not yet. I wanted to get a working profile for the Su-33 out in time for the launch on the release version.

I agree that the FC3 graphic has become overly confusing with each aircraft getting specialized/PFM treatment over time. My intent is to do individual graphics for 2.0.

First off thanks for all these great profiles for the Thrustmaster controllers.

I just received my Joystick+Throttle+2xMFD a week back and after some minor setup problems I managed to get them working.

As I am a software engineer myself I really appreciate all the work that must have and probably still is going into creating and maintaning these profiles and code.

I have been flying with the profiles in the A-10C in DCS 1.5.7 and DCS 2.1.1 and every thing is working just fine.

Today I decided to try the profiles using the L-39C in DCS 2.1.1 and almost every thing that is documented works great.

The problem I have is that the default flaps button/switch on the throttle controller is assigned to the gears and this seems strange and so I can't get the flaps working?

Is there special button combination assignment to the flap controls?

In the L-39C documentation I can't find anything for controlling the flaps?

I am very sure that I did setup the right configuration settings in the profiles.

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

Dutch,

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope that you will enjoy the script well into the future.

My philosophy is to map the controls as close to the real thing as possible, though there are some obvious concessions to be made. With this in mind, the old-style Soviet landing gear utilized a three-position switch (up to retract, down to deploy), with the switch resting in the neutral position to preserve the compressed air supply. For this, I mapped the landing gear switch to the 3-position flap switch (DF switch for the Cougar). You can see this on the MiG-21, for example. Also with this gear setting, the flap settings are normally three discrete states with buttons on the left console. These buttons are represented on the Left MFD.

For the L-39, even though the landing gear doesn't require a neutral setting to preserve the compressed air supply, there is a neutral setting in the back seat that allows for the student pilot in the front seat to dictate the landing gear state. Therefore, I modeled the landing gear switch to the flap switch just like the MiG-21. Also like the MiG-21, the L-39 has three flap position buttons on the left console, all of which are also mapped to the Left MFD.

You definitely want to look at each controller graphic prior to flying a new plane with the profile, just to see how things are intended to work. While I do have some consistent conventions across profiles, I do sometimes make exceptions for immersion.

Dutch,

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope that you will enjoy the script well into the future.

My philosophy is to map the controls as close to the real thing as possible, though there are some obvious concessions to be made. With this in mind, the old-style Soviet landing gear utilized a three-position switch (up to retract, down to deploy), with the switch resting in the neutral position to preserve the compressed air supply. For this, I mapped the landing gear switch to the 3-position flap switch (DF switch for the Cougar). You can see this on the MiG-21, for example. Also with this gear setting, the flap settings are normally three discrete states with buttons on the left console. These buttons are represented on the Left MFD.

For the L-39, even though the landing gear doesn't require a neutral setting to preserve the compressed air supply, there is a neutral setting in the back seat that allows for the student pilot in the front seat to dictate the landing gear state. Therefore, I modeled the landing gear switch to the flap switch just like the MiG-21. Also like the MiG-21, the L-39 has three flap position buttons on the left console, all of which are also mapped to the Left MFD.

You definitely want to look at each controller graphic prior to flying a new plane with the profile, just to see how things are intended to work. While I do have some consistent conventions across profiles, I do sometimes make exceptions for immersion.

Thanks for your quick reply on where the flap buttons are on the MFD.

I must have been looking for texts like flaps up/down but now I see the symbols on the left MFD layout.

Thanks. :thumbup:

i9 13900KS  (H150i), RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM @ 6000 MHz CL30, TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD's, MFG Crosswind, LG 48GQ900, Valve Index VR, TrackIR 5, Win11 Pro x64

I am glad someone can figure out the coding for your profiles. It was always way over my head and I didn't like using something that I couldn't understand. Looking forward to 2.0.