Outages

hassata

Yea I have also noticed it, maybe an increase in bandwidth might help ? or moving to a new host if the problem constantly re-occurs.

No big deal though, we can still access the site as it isnt down for days at a time, merely minutes here and there or at worst a few hours.

Forum located on the standalone server!

Hey Const. Are they using the same forward proxy server though?

This is an nginx error message, and I know that's what you guys are using, not a vbulletin or php error message.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nginx#Error:_The_page_you_are_looking_for_is_temporarily_unavailable._Please_try_again_later.

It suggests the root cause would be a problem with FastCGI not running; perhaps in your case, it is/was running, but has configuration limits (number of connections or fastcgi processes in parallel), or instability causing it to periodically bomb and restart?

http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx/2009-August/014307.html

http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx/2009-October/016166.html

Probably nothing that is news to you, but perhaps some good luck or leads to be found in this direction (I can hope).

It also makes me wonder if simply the handler/wrapper for fastcgi being used is actually up to the task. For example, a limitation of fcgiwrap ( http://nginx.localdomain.pl/wiki/FcgiWrap ) - whether or not this is one of the things used in your stack - is that it seems to only handle 1 process/request at a time, essentially serializing requests unless you run a bunch of them together and load balance over them as necessary. As soon as you run out of these things though because they're too busy, FastCGI is going to appear unavailable to nginx, wouldn't that be right?

All in all, I have no complaints, though I can say in the last few weeks I see these outage messages 2-3 times every day at least, and have to give sometimes 30 mins or more before it is gone. Last had it occur about 23 mins ago from now.

• Like 1

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

When I submitted that reply above, I then got the error again. I wasn't sure if my post had gone through but seems it had, so it was on the rebound trying to display the finished result where the problem occurred.

Running Wireshark during this outage showed the following, the (timeout) response comes back exactly 60 seconds after the request:

[REQUEST]
GET /forumdisplay.php?f=53 HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-application, application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/xaml+xml, application/x-ms-xbap, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/x-silverlight, */*
Accept-Language: en-gb
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01)
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Host: forums.eagle.ru
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cookie: [removed]

[RESPONSE]
HTTP/1.1 504 Gateway Time-out
Server: nginx/0.8.54
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:07:06 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 383
Connection: keep-alive

<html>
<head>
<title>The page is temporarily unavailable</title>
<style>
body { font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; }
</style>
</head>
<body bgcolor="white" text="black">
<table width="100%" height="100%">
<tr>
<td align="center" valign="middle">
The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.<br/>
Please try again later.
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

(The URL it was getting is just my normal bookmark to the forums, that shortcut me straight into the English sub-forums)

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

I tried to get on the forum about about a half our ago, it worked and I clicked on the Beta forum then nothing, whole forum was unavailable for about 15 minutes.

I don't mind this problem so much, but what really annoys me is it has marked every forum as read when I can finally get back on.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

yes, but that's a built-in tendency for vbulletin if there's a gap between your navigation times, and somewhere between 15-30 mins is about right for when that kicks in.

As an admin of another vbulletin site, that feature annoys the heck out of me (primarily also, since there appears to be no setting to let you turn it off). I haven't bothered to track it down and nuke it from the php code yet though.

I'm sure it's related to sheer forum numbers/traffic. It does seem as if the Community has suffered a major population explosion since the Open-Beta.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'