(Interest check) REST API calls / Website / Alexa

Alwandy

(Interest check) REST API calls / Website / Alexa  

8 members have voted

1. 1. (Interest check) REST API calls / Website / Alexa

• Yes
    • No

Hi,

Just writing this to see what the interest would be if I created an website to retrieve all the data of airfields around DCS World.

E.g use case:

axNU10j.png

I know its a bit poorly made but I hope it makes sense. So basically, as a pilot I sometime would like to be able quickly get the details of an certain airfield than just clicking F10 and click on the airfield and scribble it down while flying, I rather see a bit whats going on while flying.. Than flying blind.

So I made my own database with JSON and my own REST API call that Alexa (Amazon Echo) calls and retrieves information for me. This is all done privately and with Amazon Lambda function. So last night I came with the bright idea to expand on the idea and make it public available though I would only do it if there was an interest as hosting this will cost and making it work. Also a API will be available for public to use within their own systems.

E.g domainname.com/API/GetAirfield?Name={input}

This idea can be expanded with more functionality but for now I want to see if DCS want something like this.

What data would you include? All the information on the airport diagrams, i.e. runway length and orientation? Tower frequencies, ils and NDB beacons?

Could it be expanded to give current QFE by interacting with the mission curious in the server?

All data that is available to give will be able to presented, so yes to all above.

Possibly, all the mission has to do is to interact with the API (LUA can do this). API need the set algorithm and then print back the data.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about coding an ATC using speech to text in one way and text to speech in the other. Using simple radio or Universal radio to pass the audio on multiplayer servers.

The only setback i found was the lack of good text to speech API. Everything i found having something different than a robotic voice wasn't free at all.

I was thinking about coding an ATC using speech to text in one way and text to speech in the other. Using simple radio or Universal radio to pass the audio on multiplayer servers.

The only setback i found was the lack of good text to speech API. Everything i found having something different than a robotic voice wasn't free at all.

That would be amazing, even with the robotic voices it would be a big bonus if it could do that through Simple Radio.