Sea Dragon campaign question

BrzI

Does anybody have any tips on how to complete mission 3 ?

I am thinking that rockets would be best - but those little boats are hard to hit.:(

Would they not be blown out of the water by the ships IRL anyway ?

RBK-500s work pretty well, too. The Su-27 is the platform in this video but the concept's the same:

It begins with a recap, then moves to the speedboat section. Ignore the flashing bombfall line in CCRP. That was a bug at the time of recording that's been fixed since then.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

This was by far the hardest mission for me in this campaign. I asked about it back in April. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=186280

To be honest, I had to go to unlimited ammo to complete it:music_whistling: I had success with the KMGU dispensers and cluster bombs, attacking when a group of boats was in line. Use your wingman also. I forget how many times I practiced this mission before attempting it in the campaign and still had an Oh S*#t moment when one speedboat survived my last run and rammed one of the ships! Luckily he died and mission complete:thumbup:

MJ

Edited by mj3437

msi Z170A MB, i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Acer Predator Z271, 650w PSU, Corsair Carbon500R, MS FFB 2

Does anybody have any tips on how to complete mission 3 ?

I am thinking that rockets would be best - but those little boats are hard to hit.:(

I have the default loadout (Rockets, etc) the way it is because the AI I test with works best with that, it may not necessarily be best for a human player (They can change to a different loadout in mission). AI doesn't have good results with cluster bombs.

Would they not be blown out of the water by the ships IRL anyway?

Sure they would, you just have to suspend belief a little:

1. There may have been a malfunction on board the ships and they are unable to fire their weapons.
  2. They under estimate the threat and assume they are just mad locals being stupid. (May be similar to the US Cole and other incidents).
  3. May have rules of engagement to not engage civilian boats unless intel has verified they are a credible threat.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I took 2xKMGU PTABs, 2xMER-6 FAB-100s and 4xS-8OFP (the KOMs don't pack enough punch.) Wingman was the same loadout. Yes, it is a pain mission, but can be done. Just remember to shoot in front of the boats, they're moving at a good clip. Your wingman will also have a field day hitting the targets. Don't be afraid to head back to the carrier when you're winchester for a rearm/refuel quick turn. The enemy boats may be closer, but you can still eliminate them when they're around the fleet.

FENRIR

No KC-10 in DCS? Thank goodness for small miracles!

Intel i5 4690K OC to 4.0, Corsair CX850M PSU, 16GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz, EVGA GTX 1060 SC, Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Saitek X-55, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Delanclip

• 9 months later...

I found a max load of FAB-100's to be quite effective, though I think I ended up using the gun on the last boat.

Tough mission, but possible. Do make use of your wingman, the AI seems to be reasonably effective against the patrol boats.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I have a huge problem in this mission: The speedboats do not create any white trail behind them, so spotting them gets extremly hard even when I am very close to them. They are only represented as small dark dots in the dark water. I do not know how to change that and I have already seen in a video, that it should be much easier to find these boats than it is in my game.

Edit: They might cause a very small white trail, but like you can see here it is still almost impossible to find them:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199822&stc=1&d=1544832164

20181215010027_1.thumb.jpg.3b641a2ff7b998aab25e0695821f81ac.jpg

Edited by Tiramisu

• 1 month later...
Hello, I have a huge problem in this mission: The speedboats do not create any white trail behind them, so spotting them gets extremly hard even when I am very close to them. They are only represented as small dark dots in the dark water. I do not know how to change that and I have already seen in a video, that it should be much easier to find these boats than it is in my game.

Edit: They might cause a very small white trail, but like you can see here it is still almost impossible to find them:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199822&stc=1&d=1544832164

Hi, Tiramisu,

I had exactly the same problem as you... I solve it by activating the labels in the options (gameplay), you will spot them very easily by doing so.

Another thing to do is to tell your wingman to engage the ships. This has two main benefits:

- He will probably hit some of them (it seems to be tough even for the AI!!)

- The ships will not only focus their defensive fires on you, which will give you a good chance not to have a "flying strainer" after 2/3 runs...

Now, be brave, hitting the ship is really not easy, but still doable!

Good luck to you.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Thank you! I will try your tip using my wingman. Labels are very helpful, but they also break the immersion a bit.

What I have noticed so far, is that the speed boats are hard to spot because of the rough sea surface. The water waves are caused by the wind in this mission and they are disturbing the view on those tiny boats. Without any wind it would be much easier to spot them, so ED could fix this issue easily.

Thank you! I will try your tip using my wingman. Labels are very helpful, but they also break the immersion a bit.

What I have noticed so far, is that the speed boats are hard to spot because of the rough sea surface. The water waves are caused by the wind in this mission and they are disturbing the view on those tiny boats. Without any wind it would be much easier to spot them, so ED could fix this issue easily.

True for the labels with immersion, that's why I only activated them to be able to complete this mission.

And you're right for the sea texture, but not only. As you said before, those ship do not create almost any white trails, but I watched again the video of this mission by MagzTV (I think we're talking about the same one!), the white trails are much more evident. So obviously, something has changed in the latest updates.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

As you said before, those ship do not create almost any white trails, but I watched again the video of this mission by MagzTV (I think we're talking about the same one!), the white trails are much more evident. So obviously, something has changed in the latest updates.

Are you me? I was just struggling with that mission tonight and also wondered what had changed since MagzTV made that video.

Btw, I found cannons to be surprisingly effective due to the low travel time of the rounds.