Gunnery Tutorial P-51 Enemies Too Fast

Shaderhacker

:doh: :lol:

Yo, Chuck, man, don't get me wrong. I certainly appreciate the effort and the insight that your work gave me. I was very moved by the vintage charts that you have found. All I meant was that If you would record your voice the video could be 2minutes shorter and would have had more emotional impact on the audience :smilewink:

What you guys could help me out tho is effective range of fire.

Is there even a point in schooting a guy when he is more than 1000 feet away?

I just spent three evenings trying those trainings scenarios and dogfighting and Im not able to do concentrated fire in grater distances yet. I know that Im hitting them once in a while, but it doesnt change anything. The enemy is still operating like nothing happened. So I was wondering whats the factor here:

Are the bullets much less damaging in a greater distance, or its just me hitting him with not so many of them. Or is it both?

Intel i9-9900k 5.0GHz · Gainward RTX2080Ti 11GB Phoenix GS · AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate · Benq 4K 32" PD3200U · Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe · 2x Seagate ST2000DX002 2TB · 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 · SoundBlaster ZX · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · SAITEK Pedals · RIFT S

Guys: Trust me and everyone who's been there. We've had all of your frustrations. You can easily catch up with and overcome those AI planes in the training video. Not one person here thought it was easy when they first started. Many of them thought the same thing that you guys did (including me). I get it, we all get it. But you have to put the time in and figure it out. That's all there is to it. You can take all the instruction in the world and if you take what people are saying and apply it, you will eventually start to get the feel of how you do it. But it takes practice. It's kind of like riding a bike. Someone can show you but they cannot give you the feeling of balance or take over your body for you to navigate when you turn left or right to keep yourself up. It's not magic, it's just practice......I promise. If you were going up against a fighting 109, I would tell you to just give up and find a much easier mission until you were good enough. But the Gyro training mission is just hard enough to train you. It was a very good exercise for me after I got the feel of it. I could not keep up, the planes moved too much, my bullets seemed to just go straight through the other AC when I managed to actually hit the damn thing. And gradually.....I got the feel.

Remember.....lead the AC you are chasing and you gain on him. Trail him and you fall behind. Don't just get behind him and chase. And don't just let the bullets fly either. This will make everything much worse for you. Be patient and shoot in short bursts, and very sparingly. There is a tactic to it. Both of those planes will bank early on. When they do.....you can easily catch them by placing your nose ahead of their AC. The further ahead you go, the faster you catch him. As far as firing on him and knowing what distance. As a beginner you try and fire .3 or under. .2 or .1 are even better. Keep your flower the right size so that the bullets meet his AC.

If you think that the training mission is hard, you'll never make it in MP because those guys are vicious! That training mission is pretty helpful just the way it is. I sometimes go back to it just to practice my gunnery skills if I haven't fought in a while.

For the record, I'm no ace pilot. I do OK but there are many people who play DCS for hours and know every little trick. I am a casual user. But all of us have learned that PRACTICE is the best teacher in this simulator.

Thank you for taking your time to cheer us up Zimmerdylan. Today I managed to take this two planes down several times(and times that I got just one). I also managed to take down 109 but I was lucky. Didnt happened for the second time.

Im going to go on with my practice expanding on new topics, like how not to compleatly destroy your engine while dogfighting. Im going through the manual for this - hope to see some answers there.

Can you claryfy the meaning of this?

AC

As far as firing on him and knowing what distance. As a beginner you try and fire .3 or under. .2 or .1 are even better.

Intel i9-9900k 5.0GHz · Gainward RTX2080Ti 11GB Phoenix GS · AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate · Benq 4K 32" PD3200U · Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe · 2x Seagate ST2000DX002 2TB · 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 · SoundBlaster ZX · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · SAITEK Pedals · RIFT S

AC is short for Aircraft.

In the mission, the enemy AC are labeled. On the label, the distance between you and the AC you are following is measured in miles and tenths. So if you are a mile and a half, it will show 1.5. When the label shows .3 or .2 , or .1. You are 3,2,or1 tenth of a mile away from your target. You will be hard pressed to have any luck hitting it from any further away. Most guys won't even shot at you from any further than .4 and will be hesitant to shoot from that distance unless their target is moving in a straight line directly in front of them .

Also....you need to set the wingspan on the sight to 37 ft. by the way. And set your distance to target on your HOTAS so that you can adjust it on the fly.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

Most guys won't even shot at you from any further than .4 and will be hesitant to shoot from that distance unless their target is moving in a straight line directly in front of them .

This is real helpful. I have to get used to how big the plane looks like in this distances.

Also....you need to set the wingspan on the sight to 37 ft. by the way. And set your distance to target on your HOTAS so that you can adjust it on the fly.

I did that after the first training. Now its my 2nd POV but Im thinking of assigning one of the axis to the distance knob. It would feel more natural that way. If its even possible in dcs to assign axis to this function.

I always keep my K14 at 1000ft to just have the reference and know when I have a plane in my convergence.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I always keep my K14 at 1000ft to just have the reference and know when I gave a plane in my convergence.
Same here. The day we have many different sized aircraft may be that's useful, but facing always the same couple of enemies it doesn't worth the while IMO.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice