'Simple' 2.5 Setup Guide.. Starting point to improve your FPS+

Snacko

I use DF and MSAA-8x, visibility ultra and actually all settings HIGH and max, giving me 75-95 fps, very solid.

DF without any MSAA or xyAA ( whatever ) is unusable mostly.

With 8xMSAA there is no glimmer in tress even at ultra visibility, trees at 100%, it just looks that much better.

I dont use NV Inspector so I havent tried any other AA method yet. Actually, it is fine as it is now. More frames would be cool but 75-95 fps in a chopper aint that bad at all.

Makes me wanna have a 2080Ti to get back to 120-144 fps....yikes...it never runs fast enough ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this clarified, I was finally able to test ability to spot black dots in the sky. I've played the Su-27 instant action "Intercept" and saved the track. Then I replayed the track once for each AA setting, while recording via GeForce Experience.

Results in order from better spotting (black dot most visible) to worse spotting (black dot least visible):

1) No AA at all (black dot most visible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFXtNfyP5o

2) In-game MSAA 2x + Nvidia panel AA 2x "enhance app setting" (black dot still well visible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4D42yrmzfw

3) In-game MSAA 2x + Nvidia panel AA 2x "enhance app setting" + Nvidia FXAA (black dot hard to see)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObUrQNMX6w

4) Only Nvidia FXAA (black dot effectively invisible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLa43-MSTk

Youtube compression does make the difference harder to see, but to my surprise it's still well visible. You will need a good pair of eyes though. At my 10 o'clock you will see 2 missiles (2 black dots) - one mine and one from my wingman - heading from left to right on the screen towards 2 contrailing bandits heading from right to left on the screen (also black dots, but contrailing) until impact. To see each black dot, wait till you see explosion, rewind a little and you will see the black dot heading towards its respective impact. Except for the video with FXAA, in which you see no black dots.

Great find Sir! I've tested it with many settings the whole day & it's true.

On my rig. FXAA ON is worst for spotting, 3-4nm until you see the black dot.

Best spotting distance is in game AA & AF, 20nm.

Best compromise on my rig between spotting distance(12nm), AA, FPS & graphics is this:https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3371295&postcount=2

Hope it helps;).

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

I put both shadow options on flat. Outside looks the same and cockpit shadows are jagged anyway. It runs much better.

I swear the more I fly DCS the more smooth it is. I went from 21 fps in P-51 cockpit in Batumi runway to 37 with two tricks - alt+enter after the mission starts, all shadows flat and lot of stick time. Despite fps are low in numbers, sim runs smoothly on my mediocre PC.

Great find Sir! I've tested it with many settings the whole day & it's true.

On my rig. FXAA ON is worst for spotting, 3-4nm until you see the black dot.

Best spotting distance is in game AA & AF, 20nm.

Best compromise on my rig between spotting distance(12nm), AA, FPS & graphics is this:https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3371295&postcount=2

Hope it helps;).

Yep, best way for good frame-rate, pretty looks and, at the same time, good ability to spot black dots is MSAA 2X in-gmae plus Nvidia panel AA 2X "enhance app setting". If you use only MSAA 2X in-game, frame-rate is MUCH lower, have no idea why, but that's how it goes. My card has no MFAA, so I can't comment on MFAA...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

I suspect it's placebo and setting "Enhance Application Settings" disables the ingame MSAA pass. This would explain the FPS gain.

With deferred shading this is very improbable... DS In-game MSAA is working at a totally different stage than where Nvidia apply it automatically. I second that such observation are placebo due to some unpredictable behaviors...

With deferred shading this is very improbable... DS In-game MSAA is working at a totally different stage than where Nvidia apply it automatically. I second that such observation are placebo due to some unpredictable behaviors...
Yeah you're right, that can't be.

I suspect it's placebo and setting "Enhance Application Settings" disables the ingame MSAA pass. This would explain the FPS gain. I know at least one other game that does this.

Take a couple of pics with your cellphone and compare aliasing.

AA is worse for sure!

But as I wrote: Best compromise on my rig between spotting distance(12nm), AA, FPS & graphics is this:https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...95&postcount=2

So I have to compromise & AA does suffer, but that's what I settled for until graphical DCS engine gets sorted out.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

I suspect it's placebo and setting "Enhance Application Settings" disables the ingame MSAA pass. This would explain the FPS gain. I know at least one other game that does this.

Take a couple of pics with your cellphone and compare aliasing.

Took screenshots instead, it should make no difference since it's not post-processing like FXAA... And with cell phone it's almost impossible to get 2 pics with exact same angle, brightness, etc...

First pic is only in-game MSAA 2x, second pic is in-game MSAA 2x plus Nvidia panel AA 2x "enhance app setting". Note the frame-rate difference...

Though I'm noticing some inconsistencies in frame-rate when I change graphic options in DCS. Not 100% reproducible, need more testing...

1060011929_ingamemsaa2xx.thumb.jpg.e50acc2fb98ad5ccaeb71374fe0f6ddb.jpg

222836956_ingamemsaa2xnvidiaaa2xenhanced.thumb.jpg.79b0698cf9f9e1d4d9fc6c6663f90b22.jpg

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Though I'm noticing some inconsistencies in frame-rate when I change graphic options in DCS. Not 100% reproducible, need more testing...

Ok, this is the frame-rate I get with only in-game MSAA 2x, when I restart DCS. If I change MSAA back to OFF and play without restart, I get frame-rate around 34 again.

Is the observed gain in performance due to the "enhanced app setting" just a DCS glitch?

1562079770_ingamemsaa2xafterrestart.thumb.jpg.8903a094d564f57c5676f8bbbd5c97aa.jpg

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

I honestly doubt the NVIDIA panel is doing anything, it's probably DCS being weird.

NCP is definitely doing it's job. I tested it thoroughly in DCS, went between 60 to 120fps, great to crap AA etc. It was a rollercoaster. I'm also using it for FSX & X-plane with NI.

Make sure to you re-point it to DCS.EXE in bin folder.

Also every system is different ;).

There's no doubt the Nvidia FXAA works. I've tested it many times in my system and it's visual effect in unmistakable, affecting even the menus.

But the regular Nvidia's anti-aliasing I'm not so sure (I'm not referring to MFAA, mind you). If I force it via "override app setting", it doesn't work, has 0 effect in the image, that's 100% tested and confirmed. Where it gets weird is when it comes to the "enhance app setting" option:

With all the anti-aliasing turned completely off, both in-game and in Nvidia's panel (no "enahance" option, no nothing), frame-rate is high. Then I just set MSAA to 2x in DCS options and play without restarting the game, frame-rate decreases A LOT. If I close DCS, set Nvidia to "enhance app setting", re-open DCS and play, frame-rate increases considerably. The thing is, if I do the close and re-open DCS, but without turning on Nvidia's "enhance app setting", frame-rate increases exactly like before. See the problem?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

With all the anti-aliasing turned completely off, both in-game and in Nvidia's panel (no "enahance" option, no nothing), frame-rate is high. Then I just set MSAA to 2x in DCS options and play without restarting the game, frame-rate decreases A LOT. If I close DCS, set Nvidia to "enhance app setting", re-open DCS and play, frame-rate increases considerably. The thing is, if I do the close and re-open DCS, but without turning on Nvidia's "enhance app setting", frame-rate increases exactly like before. See the problem?

This simply mean this is not the Nvidia's setup who make the diference (which is logical), but the DCS's reload. Did you try to delete the Fxo and Shader caches from your config folder ?

This simply mean this is not the Nvidia's setup who make the diference (which is logical), but the DCS's reload.

That's what I tend to believe, but I don't have the patience to do tests anymore.

Did you try to delete the Fxo and Shader caches from your config folder ?

Currently I have a clean DCS 2.5 install, from the website installer, not the updated version from 1.5. Before that, I had the updated version and did delete these two folders more than once. The fps is the same I have now.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Currently I have a clean DCS 2.5 install, from the website installer, not the updated version from 1.5. Before that, I had the updated version and did delete these two folders more than once. The fps is the same I have now.

The key part is not the installation folder, but the config folder in "<user>\Saved Games"...

Yeah, but I deleted it all, even regreted later not keeping my controls configurations. What I didn't do is delete the shaders and fxo folders after the 2 patches that came after 2.5...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

even regreted later not keeping my controls configurations.

Recycle Bin??

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

^^ Probably should have done that. Not used yet to this new Windows method of deleting without asking for confirmation, so I had the impression it deleted from the "User" folder permanently, like it does with files over LAN. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Edited by PeaceSells

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

^^ Probably should have done that. Not used yet to this new Windows method of deleting without asking for confirmation, so I had the impression it deleted from the "User" folder permanently, like it does with files over LAN. Yes, I'm an idiot.

No, you're just lagging behind those of us who have already made that mistake.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

No, you're just lagging behind those of us who have already made that mistake.

Experience is what you get just after having needed it the most.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 1 year later...