Swtiching from VR to Non VR Launcher

Raz_Specter

Hi Guys

This is very basic stuff but i just wanted to put something together as I am sick of going into DCS and un-checking "Enable Virtual Reality Headset" then having to relaunch if I want to do some mission edition, which i prefer not to do in the rift but full screen.

So here is my Very basic Solution:

within your

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\<dcs version>\Config\

directory copy your options.lua file twice

rename one of the copies to optionsNOVR.lua

rename the other copy to optionsVR.lua

edit both the files and change the VR Section as follows:

NOTE my VR section is at the top of the file

optionsVR.lua

["VR"] = {
	["box_mouse_cursor"] = true,
	["enable"] = true,
	["pixel_density"] = 1.8,
	["use_mouse"] = false,
},

optionsNOVR.lua

["VR"] = {
	["box_mouse_cursor"] = true,
	["enable"] = false,
	["pixel_density"] = 1.8,
	["use_mouse"] = false,
},

Note: Just change the line: ["enable"] = false, as the rest are your preferred settings

Save the 2 attached batch files (within the rar) and place them in the same location

Edit the Batch Files and fill in the following lines with your username and the version of DCS you want to use

example of mine:

set UserName="Mithandra"
set DCSVersion="DCS.openbeta"

Now create a shortcut on your desktop for both batch files.

Job done

Clicking on the respective shortcut will copy over your prefered options.lua file and launch DCS

Hope this helps.

REMEBER if you change your settings you will have to copy the options.lua again

This also allows you to have custom settings when launching VR as opposed to No VR

Cheers Mith

Batch Files.rar

Edited by Raz_Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I think I am going to do my mission setup on a second PC and save the files to my NAS. I'll access them from the VRPC when I'm ready to fly. Both of them are in the same office :D

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

But there is a CLI option to turn off VR. It was posed in the Rift thread a while back.

I found it:

dcs.exe --force_enable_VR

dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

oh cool - I must have missed that one :)

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

• 11 months later...

@mithandra, I came to a very similar solution using batch files to solve my problem of needing more than one option.lua file, as in 2D I can go much higher with the settings for recording a video. See https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190666.

But you might want to enhance your batch file by adding a line at the end that copies the option.lua back to optionsVR.lua respectively optionsNOVR.lua after dcs.exe has terminated. This way, you can still use the GUI to make changes to the current settings and they are not overwritten on the next start.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Guys,

Another very easy way to choose whether to launch DCS in VR mode or desktop mode, is with SkateZilla's excellent GUI Utility. Created mainly for updating and repairing DCS World he also has VR enable/disable included.

Anytime I want to launch DCS in desktop mode I use this simple tool, very easy.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 6 months later...

I just use SkateZilla's utility, so I've bothered to check in 2.5. I'll give it a shot later today or thur

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It still works. But you cannot use the default shortcuts that links to "run.exe".

You need to create a shortcut of: ...\DCS\bin\dcs.exe (...\ is ofc your drive and directory to DCS installation :) )

Then change the path to

"...\DCS\bin\dcs.exe" --force_enable_VR

or

"...\DCS\bin\dcs.exe" --force_disable_VR

Watch the position of the " " within the path. They are important.

Works like a charm. Using two shortcuts on my Desktop and Win10 Start Menu and no issues. :joystick:

PS: If you search under ...\DCS\FUI\... you can find the new DCS icon's in Blue... Just in case you need a new icon for your 2.5 :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I just use SkateZilla's utility, so I've bothered to check in 2.5. I'll give it a shot later today or thur

His utility works great for me in 2.5.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Skatezilla's utility does it's job for en/disabeling VR. However: if I start without VR, I want the settings I can run: most of em on high. If I start DCS with Skatezilla's utility, with VR enabled, it still uses that setting..

Is there some way to make shortcuts so I can start VR with minimal settings, and without VR with max settings??

One way is to use a mod Mananger and add the 2 different options.lua as 2 Mods. Then you can enable/disable the one you need.

Would be great if Skazilla's Utility would allow something like that as an addition to VR ON/OFF.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Skatezilla's utility does it's job for en/disabeling VR. However: if I start without VR, I want the settings I can run: most of em on high. If I start DCS with Skatezilla's utility, with VR enabled, it still uses that setting..

Is there some way to make shortcuts so I can start VR with minimal settings, and without VR with max settings??

I believe this may do it for you

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195480

I'm going to check it out this weekend. It has the Oculus tray tool function of auto switching the audio to Rift (big/HUGE miss by Oculus/ED). Annoying having to switch audio before launching DCS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I believe this may do it for you

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195480

I'm going to check it out this weekend. It has the Oculus tray tool function of auto switching the audio to Rift (big/HUGE miss by Oculus/ED). Annoying having to switch audio before launching DCS.

Looks promising; will try tonight!! And tnx!

**EDIT**: superb!! Really happy, THIS is what I want!!

Edited by GurbY

• 11 months later...
It still works. But you cannot use the default shortcuts that links to "run.exe".

You need to create a shortcut of: ...\DCS\bin\dcs.exe (...\ is ofc your drive and directory to DCS installation :) )

Then change the path to

"...\DCS\bin\dcs.exe" --force_enable_VR

or

"...\DCS\bin\dcs.exe" --force_disable_VR

Watch the position of the " " within the path. They are important.

Works like a charm. Using two shortcuts on my Desktop and Win10 Start Menu and no issues. :joystick:

PS: If you search under ...\DCS\FUI\... you can find the new DCS icon's in Blue... Just in case you need a new icon for your 2.5 :)

This worked for me, but with one side effect.

Whenever I close DCS now, it reloads immediately - the only way to close it is with Ctrl/Alt/Del.

Even if I use the original shortcut created by DCS (before I created the two new ones), that also results in a program that doesnt want to be closed!

Any ideas?

This worked for me, but with one side effect.

Whenever I close DCS now, it reloads immediately - the only way to close it is with Ctrl/Alt/Del.

Even if I use the original shortcut created by DCS (before I created the two new ones), that also results in a program that doesnt want to be closed!

Any ideas?

Huh. Can you cut and paste the *entire* line that you put inside the shortcut?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

thanks for assisting.

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

and

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR

Just to be clear, these are two different shortcuts? I did this many times w/o issues. But I didn't do it with the regular release in a while. I just run the OpenBeta branch.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Does that work with Steam?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).