To defer shading or NOT to defer shading, this is the question...

ac5

Dark cockpits are still a problem. Only fix is turn up Gamma settings. Unfortunatly on higher settings and overall image is too bright... I really hate this problem.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

• 1 month later...
That might be true with your oculus, but with a Monitor I believe it is not...

The cockpits and night lightning are awful...

Would you like me to send you a private message and I could give you a detailed tutorial in tweaking your graphic and monitor settings?

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Would you like me to send you a private message and I could give you a detailed tutorial in tweaking your graphic and monitor settings?

It’s not a question of tweaking! This topic has been discussed a zillion times here. There is something not right with the cockpits using DS especially at night. In midday scenarios, they are too contrasty. Too dark to see anything at times, and too bright to see any detail at others.

Where are the glass instrument reflections we used to have? No subtle detail any more.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It’s not a question of tweaking! This topic has been discussed a zillion times here. There is something not right with the cockpits using DS especially at night. In midday scenarios, they are too contrasty. Too dark to see anything at times, and too bright to see any detail at others.

Where are the glass instrument reflections we used to have? No subtle detail any more.

I was winding you up, the blending overall has improved as recent as the release of 2.5.

Regarding the lights not working in the pit, yes, that is an issue with some modules but I have no doubt will be resolved within a few months from now.

Personally I prefer DS on but I know there are elements that need refining, it's a matter of patience surely. Particularly night time, lights are not visible at a distance and with deferred shading off night time looks way better, but they will sort it out no doubt.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

I completely agree! :thumbup:

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 2 weeks later...
From my experience, deferred shading looks 1000x better. I run the sim through my oculus and get absolutely beautiful frames with deferred shading on and with most of the graphic settings jacked up all the way. I tried a few times turning off deferred shading and HDR on, and honestly it looked terrible.

This is true regarding the terrain graphics, but I play only with oculus rift and I can say that with deferred shading on cockpit graphics and cloud layers are much worse than with DS off. Not to deal with night lightings: with DS on I can barely see my avionics, night time missions are almost unplayable. Lighting in general is a feature that surely needs to be fixed.

This is true regarding the terrain graphics, but I play only with oculus rift and I can say that with deferred shading on cockpit graphics and cloud layers are much worse than with DS off. Not to deal with night lightings: with DS on I can barely see my avionics, night time missions are almost unplayable. Lighting in general is a feature that surely needs to be fixed.

Exactly so, I completely agree!

And of course, I completely disagree with eliterizzo.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

No reason to fight it, it's here to stay, the decision has been made. I do admit it can be very annoying at times, at night and waiting on the texture updates, hurry up Mig21, love this module. Not real enjoyable at the moment when you cannot see through the canopy. The module can be still used with deferred shading OFF of course while we wait. I'm also guessing most 3rd parties are waiting for the dust to settle before the corrections.

I also see the reason behind it for the future and glimpse many of the true magic it will bring when fully tweaked and ironed out.

Sometimes I think ED should slow down on moving the goal posts and let the dust settle a little bit.;)

Stop the 3rd parties running around like chickens with there heads chopped off.:)

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

No reason to fight it, it's here to stay, the decision has been made. I do admit it can be very annoying at times, at night and waiting on the texture updates, hurry up Mig21, love this module. Not real enjoyable at the moment when you cannot see through the canopy. The module can be still used with deferred shading OFF of course while we wait. I'm also guessing most 3rd parties are waiting for the dust to settle before the corrections.

I also see the reason behind it for the future and glimpse many of the true magic it will bring when fully tweaked and ironed out.

Sometimes I think ED should slow down on moving the goal posts and let the dust settle a little bit.;)

Stop the 3rd parties running around like chickens with there heads chopped off.:)

That was a good one !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Makes one wonder

From today's v2.5.1 changelog:

Deferred Shading render locked in the game and can not be turned off. DCS ceased support of old graphic render without Deferred Shading.

Not good. If I can't run any kind of AA because DS kills the performance with it on, I get jaggies. And if I get jaggies I can't get rid of I won't fly DCS anymore, because I can't stand anything looking like that. Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

And how about the DS lighting then? Is it fixed yet, or do we still have to change our gamma depending on what time of day it is in-game?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

From today's v2.5.1 changelog:

Not good. If I can't run any kind of AA because DS kills the performance with it on, I get jaggies. And if I get jaggies I can't get rid of I won't fly DCS anymore, because I can't stand anything looking like that. Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

And how about the DS lighting then? Is it fixed yet, or do we still have to change our gamma depending on what time of day it is in-game?

Not good indeed! :thumbup:

And changing the gamma does not resolve the lightning issues of many cockpits at dusk / night. with DS on.

I believe anyway that the cockpits are far better also during the day with deferred shading off.

Let's hope that THERE IS a fix to this relevant issue in this update, or at least when the update comes to the 2.5 release, which I am using.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Oh WOW!!!

Well, good indeed. Extremely good.

I don't know what the hell is it exactly you geezers did with v2.5.1, but color me EXTREMELY impressed regardless. Looks absolutely stunning, runs flawlessy with 2xMSAA and the gamma problems seem to be history - looks just lovely night and day. WOW!!!

OK, not griping about DS anymore if this is the swing of things now. Great work gents, I'll definitely drink to your health comes Saturday :beer: Thank you!!!

PS. Oh, and did I mention already that I actually like this update a lot?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Well, good indeed. Extremely good.

I don't know what the hell is it exactly you geezers did with v2.5.1, but color me EXTREMELY impressed regardless. Looks absolutely stunning, runs flawlessy with 2xMSAA and the gamma problems seem to be history - looks just lovely night and day. WOW!!!

OK, not griping about DS anymore if this is the swing of things now. Great work gents, I'll definitely drink to your health comes Saturday :beer: Thank you!!!

PS. Oh, and did I mention already that I like this update a lot actually?

Really?

Did you test ALL the planes? :cry:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206494&page=4

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Of course not, since I only fly the Mi-8 and the L-39ZA regularly. But at least the Hip seemed OK.

Well, it seems that the MIG-21 IS NOT.... :(

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206494&page=4

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Well, it seems that the MIG-21 IS NOT.... :(

A-10C still has cockpit lighting problems too in 2.5.1 :(

some of the other modules have good night cockpit lighting. Wish the HAWG would get some love

Edited by prccowboy