Former F86 pilot seeks ideal joystick for flight simulator

donmac95603

Can someone recommend a compatible, easy to use joystick for the F86 Sabre simulator?

My dad is 87 years old and is beyond elated with this program, but using the keyboard has been a challenge. He bought a Logitech joystick (approx $100) but it was not compatible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Can someone recommend a compatible, easy to use joystick for the F86 Sabre simulator?

My dad is 87 years old and is beyond elated with this program, but using the keyboard has been a challenge. He bought a Logitech joystick (approx $100) but it was not compatible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi...you could look for the thrusrmaster t16000m it is light, cheap and precise..

Hope to help

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

If you want a really want to get into a good stick/ HOTAS / pedals combo for not all that much I'd recommend CH Fighterstick USB with Pro pedals.

The pedals are pretty well though of in the community, better than any of the Saitek gear from everything I've heard from friends and read in reviews. The HOTAS is nice, but you need the pedals since it does not have twist for rudder. it has a good number of buttons to set and use - not quite so good for the modern jet stuff with a bazillion functions, but it has been perfect for me for Sabre and F-5. Between all of the castle switches, canoe switches, coolie hats, etc, you have over 32 functions you can set on 4 ways, plus your normal buttons, plus trims on the stick base.

The only thing I don't like is that the program manager is very old and very hard to use, so for me I have not been able to set up the "slew dongle" or whatever you call the mouse function thingy. I also have a small beef with the throttle not having a friction lock, I have my push to talk buttons on the throttle, so when I get "windy" I notice that I am slowly pulling the throttle back - not a huge deal and for sure a self inflicted wound, but there you go.

Price - New around $120 per piece, so $300, but mine have lasted me over seven years, so totally worth it. I've seen used for half that, and listen, after seven years of use, and I nerd out so near constant use, there are no dead zones, no wiggles, loose connections, nothing. They still act as they did the day I bought them.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-200-571-Fighterstick-USB/dp/B00006B84X

I can't personally couch for any other controllers. I've heard good things from my friend who has the Thrustmaster pedals. They cost him $80 from Newegg on one of their sales days.

Hope this helps!!

~Rob

Edited by Robert31178
Added a link

Oh and really neato to see interest from a real life vet from the Sabre age!!! My pops flew FJ-4's in the Marines, he loved the jet!! He passed away a few years ago, but he would have been your dad's age this year. It was always funny to watch him try to play Microprose's F-117 Stealth game with me lol......hopefully your Dad does better than mine did at games!!

If you want a really want to get into a good stick/ HOTAS / pedals combo for not all that much I'd recommend CH Fighterstick USB with Pro pedals.

The pedals are pretty well though of in the community, better than any of the Saitek gear from everything I've heard from friends and read in reviews. The HOTAS is nice, but you need the pedals since it does not have twist for rudder. it has a good number of buttons to set and use - not quite so good for the modern jet stuff with a bazillion functions, but it has been perfect for me for Sabre and F-5. Between all of the castle switches, canoe switches, coolie hats, etc, you have over 32 functions you can set on 4 ways, plus your normal buttons, plus trims on the stick base.

The only thing I don't like is that the program manager is very old and very hard to use, so for me I have not been able to set up the "slew dongle" or whatever you call the mouse function thingy. I also have a small beef with the throttle not having a friction lock, I have my push to talk buttons on the throttle, so when I get "windy" I notice that I am slowly pulling the throttle back - not a huge deal and for sure a self inflicted wound, but there you go.

Price - New around $120 per piece, so $300, but mine have lasted me over seven years, so totally worth it. I've seen used for half that, and listen, after seven years of use, and I nerd out so near constant use, there are no dead zones, no wiggles, loose connections, nothing. They still act as they did the day I bought them.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-200-571-Fighterstick-USB/dp/B00006B84X

I can't personally couch for any other controllers. I've heard good things from my friend who has the Thrustmaster pedals. They cost him $80 from Newegg on one of their sales days.

Hope this helps!!

~Rob

Awesome! Thank you Rob. Very helpful. All the best

Put him in VR, and he'll *REALLY* feel like he's back in the cockpit! Great to hear he's enjoying it!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1