64 bit program ?

Yes.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Moving to 64-bit Operating Systems Only

As we move forward improving the DCS World environment, we are more and more often running into roadblocks that prevent us from doing so due to supporting 32 bit operating systems. This includes larger and more populated worlds with greater terrain mesh details and textures. By moving to 64 bit support only, we will be able solve this and allow larger missions with more units, and it will allow us to improve visual effects.

This change will be coming in the next few months.

IMHO this paragraph is about EDGE, not about current or upcoming build of current engine... :huh:

As was stated, current engine and Caucasus map will not be compatible with EDGE.

I have decide to upgrade my gpu from a 580 to a 690 in the coming months just for this simulation. I am delighted to see the news letter, so much to look forward too. I will not being going near the console generation as this is the only game that matters to me. Arma 3 alpha was a massive fail so this is where I will be, in the virtual skies.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

As for 64-Bit only, it's that time.

I mean, I cant even count how many people I've had to explain 32-bit was the reason their DCS doesnt run at all or crashes all the time.

32-Bit OS, with 32-bit Memory Addresses with Any Type of Mid-High Teir GPU is gonna leave the OS with 900-1800MB of usuable addresses, and that doesnt take into account other boot event mappings for CPU, HDD Cache, Network and USB Devices.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

That's not strictly true. 32-bit apps can address 4 Gb of memory, but it is split 2 Gb/2 Gb between kernel and program. Thus, a program can only use 2 Gb of memory before it complains of being out of memory. You can prove this with applications that don't use tricks to exceed this, and trying to get them to exceed 2 Gb usage. They will either complain of being out of memory or crash (note that you must be running a 32-bit OS in this example).

The infamous /3Gb hack on XP changes the ratio of user:kernel memory to 3:1. This offers programs more access to user memory space (up to 3 Gb) but at the expense of restricting the kernel portion to 1 Gb. This may or may not have dire consequences.

Best regards,

Tango.

PAE has been a part of modern systems for a long time - not just server boards. It allows the system to see more than 4 Gb of total installed memory by using additional address lines (similar to the way the A20 extension line was used on 386 class machines back in the day).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/hardware/gg487503.aspx

Anyway 32bit was yesterday.

Maybe, but we can't just dump people still using 32-bit for whatever reason (though I agree you sometimes need to force the issue).

Best regards,

Tango.

you can upgrade to Windows 7 64-Bit via Setup DVD (MS has them for Online Download), and use your same license Key. Some programs and Drivers will not work though (ie ATI Remote Wonder II :( ) doesnt have x64 drivers so i cant use it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

PAE has always been around; 32 bit systems can address as much memory as they like with PAE.

However, MicroSoft wants you to pay money for this capability, and 'no one with a home OS' needs that capability.

Today, you get the ability to address more RAM with a 64-bit OS. Once more, however, you're capped* unless you buy a server or 'pro' version of the Windows OS ;)

* At this point, the cap is irrelevant to home users. You're seriously, really not likely at all to need more than 16Gb of RAM.

For example, look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

I think that some Intel based server boards have special hardware that allows access above 2gb for applications. Physical Address Extensions I believe.

Anyway 32bit was yesterday.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Technically the 64-bit code can use more CPU registers and theoretically can run faster. So it's not just about the addressable memory space. But I suppose it heavily depends on the compiler and/or any inline asm.

So first of all I *think* this is great news. I say it this way because I don't truly understand the implications. I am currently on a 64 bit system so what does that mean to me for new development?

Would I be correct to Presume that some of the fps issues I experience could be moot if we were all on the same 64 bit architecture?

Take, for example, the cbu pain we all experience or the rockets, or the object count issues around harbours... Would a move to an exclusive architecture mitigate these?

Cheers

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

All it means is the following;

No immediate change if you already run 64bits

If you run 32 bits your out of luck whit the new version

DEVS now only have to make one binary, making live easier in many area's including bugfixing

It opens up new possibilities cause new features don't have to work under a 32 bits system anymore

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Great news regarding 64-bit-only support. Hoping this will perhaps, maybe, ever-so-slightly expedite the release of EDGE. At any rate, the quicker the 32-bit bandage comes off, the better.

MSI P67A-GD55 | Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz | MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760 OC 4GB GDDR5 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz | Corsair TX750 PSU | Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD | WD Black 640GB + 1TB HDDs | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

DCS A-10C Warthog | DCS Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst | DCS Fw 190 D-9 Dora | DCS Ka-50 Black Shark 2 | DCS P-51D Mustang | Flaming Cliffs 3

You're seriously, really not likely at all to need more than 16Gb of RAM.

Sure, you say that *now*... but in 3 years? :music_whistling: :D

I think this move to 64-bit is awesome. I have no idea what they have in store for us, but we're moving forward!

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

I remember when the first 1 gig machines came out. didnt know what we would do with all that ram.

Even farther back I remember when 1 meg machines came out. Also didn't know what it would be needed for. Or my first 20 meg hard drive. Now single files are larger.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

I remember when the first 1 gig machines came out. didnt know what we would do with all that ram.

Even farther back I remember when 1 meg machines came out. Also didn't know what it would be needed for. Or my first 20 meg hard drive. Now single files are larger.

Yeah, I had the 512kb memory expansion on my Amiga 500 for a total of 1MB. Was massive coolnes-factor in that. :)

But yeah, I think most (if not all) PC games will be pretty happy with 8gigs for a couple years more, and 16 will give plentiful margins.

If I remember right, the new generation of consoles are slated to get 8 gigs of RAM, but that's combined RAM, so requirements will go up for the standard-fare console ports, but they'll go up only to where most new gaming PCs already are - and have been for a year or two.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Great news regarding 64-bit-only support. Hoping this will perhaps, maybe, ever-so-slightly expedite the release of EDGE. At any rate, the quicker the 32-bit bandage comes off, the better.

I am more or less a noob to DCS. Could you please tell me what EDGE is? Thank you!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am more or less a noob to DCS. Could you please tell me what EDGE is? Thank you!

New graphics engine that Eagle Dynamics are working on.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Eagle

Dynamics

Graphic

Engine

Enhanced

Dirt

Ground

and

Environment.

whichever suits you :P lol.