Deferred Shading & Gamma brightens?

CoBlue

Call me ignorant, but I don't see why it would be so hard to just take the cockpit look from 1.5 and make the cockpits in 2.5 look the same without changing anything else...(in terms of terrain, explosions, etc)

It must be a major task as if it was easy you would think they would fix it already. I mean the issues have existed since 2.x came on to the scene which has been how long now? Quite a while for this to be an issue still if it was within their ability to actually fix with the current engine.

Edited by Torso

Call me ignorant, but I don't see why it would be so hard to just take the cockpit look from 1.5 and make the cockpits in 2.5 look the same without changing anything else...(in terms of terrain, explosions, etc)
Developnent does not work like this, even if you are talking porting something over. The game engine that controls lighting, effect, etc is separate from the entities that consume it and a lot of stuff has to be reworked when they make changes. Perhaps it's a task too big to do, I don't think it will ever be fixed. But at least as long as they can get the cockpit lights working at night with deferred shading on, that's something. Anytime there is a night sortie I need to turn off deferred shading.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

It must be a major task as if it was easy you would think they would fix it already. I mean the issues have existed since 2.x came on to the scene which has been how long now? Quite a while for this to be an issue still if it was within their ability to actually fix with the current engine.

That's fine, they can take as much time as they need. All I ever want from ED is acknowledgement that this is an issue. That shouldn't be too hard for them should it ;)

I think the interesting question is why 2.5 is officially out, with such a major issue still going on...

I mean, DCS itself is free... so don't tell me that at some point they had to release it so they get their money back right?

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

To fix this, it is gonna take a major core engine fix/overhaul most likely. Which means we won't probably see a useful night time flying environment for a very long time if ever. The upcoming fix after reviewing the preview shots does not address the issues. They just made the existing terrible ground lights brighter by a bit and then added glowing terrain to try and compensate but it looks wrong. This is not even bringing the moon/star/ambient light issues up that are adding to the issues currently. It just seems no one at ED ever really thought to try flying at night and as a result it never was on their radar to make work.

I completely agree with you! :thumbup:

That's why, for me, and the time being: Deferred shading off,

as I fly mostly at dusk.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

To fix this, it is gonna take a major core engine fix/overhaul most likely. Which means we won't probably see a useful night time flying environment for a very long time if ever. The upcoming fix after reviewing the preview shots does not address the issues. They just made the existing terrible ground lights brighter by a bit and then added glowing terrain to try and compensate but it looks wrong. This is not even bringing the moon/star/ambient light issues up that are adding to the issues currently. It just seems no one at ED ever really thought to try flying at night and as a result it never was on their radar to make work.

You are surely right and this is kinda depressing... :(

What were they thinking?

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

You are surely right and this is kinda depressing... :(

What were they thinking?

What were they thinking indeed..... :(

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

TGP is terrible - something changed markedly from 2.5.0 to 2.5.1. Seems like there is a lack of contrast and far more noise. WHOT, BHOT and visible are all affected.

Also there seems to be weird "filters" applied to the TGP if I zoom in or not - strange angled shapes appear/grow/cover the TGP at different zoom levels, and the shapes change the brightness/contrast of the area covered.

Edit:

Seems to be a range/zoom filter.

JLYETcTYDobdJK.jpg

iiDPYEu.jpg

BfOkRZ0.jpg

HY0Uvry

3gXfS2C

Edited by Thermal

Its not sun on the MFCD's. When I was taking those screen shots my heading and pitch varied by 20deg. When I zoomed in or out with the TGP those weird shapes grew/shrunk - so that is not a cockpit artifact/reflection in the cockpit.

@Thermal - excellent post, this is what I'm seeing in the A-10C and Harrier, this mad 'filter' plus the next to useless FLIR means they are on the shelf until this is sorted...it's not like I can fire Mavericks in the Harrier anyway since that's also broken.

The lighting is much better though, so there's that.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

The graphics engine cannot be fixed ever... what were they thinking... hey drama queens, just shut it please :)

Not good at all if FLIR systems and suchlike are broken at night now, but I'm certain these will be fixed. And those dark nights are just cool per se, are they not? Because they keep you on your toes and force you to hone those IFR / night flying skills, which should be a SOP anyway if you're into virtual flying instead of arcade furballing ;) And let's not forget that subtropical (i.e. Georgian) nights are dark IRL too.

Granted, the city lights seem a bit dim as modelled currently, but 9L said they're still working on the thing. So why don't you dudes just grab a brewski and relax?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Did a little more testing.

QQKsRkb.jpg

The both images have a red line - that marks the boundary of some kind of filter as per my last post. Its not quite so obvious like the last example, so I added the red line after. Like the previous posts images, its a geometric shape, that looks to be projected onto the ground.

I took both images with active pause on - so the aircraft is in the same position - the only difference between the two is that I slightly slewed the TGP up, so the red line is now above the ATV. The right image is the problem - the ground texture has so much contrast its now hard to pick out the ATV.

Also seems to be somewhat dependant on the ground texture/background. The ATV near the "area" text is on an airfield, and that guy is fine to pick out.

Edited by Thermal

Yea I thought something was off with the mfcd screens and visuals of the tgp also looked off. Perhaps deleting the shaders may reset it?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The graphics engine cannot be fixed ever... what were they thinking... hey drama queens, just shut it please :)

Not good at all if FLIR systems and suchlike are broken at night now, but I'm certain these will be fixed. And those dark nights are just cool per se, are they not? Because they keep you on your toes and force you to hone those IFR / night flying skills, which should be a SOP anyway if you're into virtual flying instead of arcade furballing ;) And let's not forget that subtropical (i.e. Georgian) nights are dark IRL too.

Granted, the city lights seem a bit dim as modelled currently, but 9L said they're still working on the thing. So why don't you dudes just grab a brewski and relax?

How about you relax considering people waited for the 2.5 update for years and FLIR update for years, just to see it half-fixed and then royally butchered again. Just admit, ED can't do anything right

Just admit, ED can't do anything right

Why are you here if they can't do anything right?

Anyway, FLIRs broken is a severe problem and I'm not saying it isn't. But there's nothing you can do, apart from either waiting for a fix or heading for the exits. The choice is yours, but I'm waiting myself.

Confirming Thermal's observations on the A-10C TGP. I found an easy comparison between the broken 2.5.1 and the working 2.5.0 by simply running the instant action missions in each engine and comparing the results. With 2.5.1, the TGP is almost useless for target spotting.

Can you not turn off DS in 2.5.1? You can in 2.5

The option to turn off has been removed from 2.5.1. This is the way forward, and we should just get used to it!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The option to turn off has been removed from 2.5.1. This is the way forward, and we should just get used to it!

I will get used to it if they fix the huge issues with the unusable cockpits,

especially at night..

Until then, it's 2.5 release without DS for me.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Sorry if I've missed this in other posts but as well as the high contrast and saturation issues mentioned previously, has anyone else had trouble seeing the effect of the nose wheel light on the runway from the cockpit with DS on? I was trying to get it working the other day for ages until I realised from an external view it was on. Much better with DS off.

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Sorry if I've missed this in other posts but as well as the high contrast and saturation issues mentioned previously, has anyone else had trouble seeing the effect of the nose wheel light on the runway from the cockpit with DS on? I was trying to get it working the other day for ages until I realised from an external view it was on. Much better with DS off.

Yes, of course that too.....

All considered and in my opinion, DS off was better, especially considering that

a real simmer spends 95% of the time in the cockpit.

For the time being, reading the posts in this forum, it seems that 2.5.1, in this respect at least,

is still a disaster

Let's hope that they fix this, and anyway, for the time being, it's DS off and release version 2.5 for me...

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

is still a disaster

Disaster? As 9L has said all this, plus the individual cockpits, are still being worked on, although the cockpits of course depend on the original module developer. Still, no need for the drama queenery just yet IMO ;)