A rudder tip for Huey drivers

msalama

Hiya guys -

I didn't invent this, but stumbled upon it somewhere. But the improvement, at least for me, was so profound that I thought I'd repeat it here lest it gets lost in the mists of Internet.

If you're finding your Huey twitchy and/or oscillating along its longitudinal axis even after applying JS curves and/or reducing saturation, try to increase your rudder sensitivity next. I set mine to -20 and the difference is like night and day, the chopper is rock solid now and doesn't gyrate along the roll axis anymore. Try it if everything else fails, since coordinated flying is much easier if the rudder is more responsive I've found!

Thanks all and report back ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

True, but I'm talking about "rudder pedals" all the time since I originally started my simming in fixed-wing AC. But the tip above works regardless, at least for me.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Wish the forum could be a little more genial and a lot less pedantic. One of the downsides of a "study sim" I guess. People forget its just a game.

I could not agree more.

In light of this, I am hereby announcing my campaign to change the name from anti-torque pedals to tail rotor collective pitch control pedals, since that more accurately reflects their function. I will refer to them henceforth using the mnemonic "trickpeas" as a way of pronouncing the acronym TRCPCP.

True, but I'm talking about "rudder pedals" all the time since I originally started my simming in fixed-wing AC. But the tip above works regardless, at least for me.

Good thing you didn't start in helicopters, you'd be calling rudder pedals anti torque pedals.:music_whistling:

Now I'm confused. Are we talking about tail rotor collective pitch control pedals? Or anti-adverse yaw vertical axis control pedals? Cuz I only have some Mk.IV foot things, but I like flying both helos and fixed winged air craft.

Damn ... I don't think there's enough room under my desk for Mk.IVs, Trickpeas, AND um, ... Antayvaxcops (come back to me,I can do better). :crazy:

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Thanks for the tip!

Wish the forum could be a little more genial and a lot less pedantic. One of the downsides of a "study sim" I guess. People forget its just a game.

study sim is part of the game :)

correcting people is how you score points.

dont feel bad, get even :)

score some points of your own.

and help others learn correctly.

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

study sim is part of the game :)

correcting people is how you score points.

dont feel bad, get even :)

score some points of your own.

and help others learn correctly.

In English, sentences begin with uppercase letters. Use a little dot to indicate the sentence has ended (this is called a full stop in British English, and a period in North America and other areas).

When you leave out a letter, or letters, to form a contraction, indicate this by using a ' in place of the missing letters.

Damn, you're correct. This is fun! :rolleyes:

see there you go :)

i love the way my dyslexia triggers grammer nazi.

why i leave out capital letters on purpopse :)

so they think they are scoring points.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

luckyfromarma was not being rude.

he just used as little effort as possible to score a point.

communication brevity.

i love the way my dyslexia triggers grammer nazi.

he just used as little effort as possible to score a point...

So you'd call him a sim-nazi?

I was showing that 'scoring points' at others expense is pointless (pun intended) and not conducive to a functional community, which is what I think these forums should try to be. It was irony. Not everyone gets it, it seems.

Carry on scoring your points, I guess. Good luck, I hope you win.

While I don't mean to derail whatever this thread has become, in response to the suggestion in msalama's original post, I wanted to say this:

While it seemed counter-intuitive to me to increase sensitivity for an aircraft which seemed to be balanced on a razor's edge already, I adjusted the "curvature" in my rudder axis in the Huey to -20 just to see. There's a bit of subjectivity to this, but the aircraft seems to me to be much more stable than before.

If it matters, I use CH pedals, and while I now need to use them throughout the flight to keep the ball centered (before, with no curvature adjustment, once I got to a decent speed I usually just got off the pedals as the ball was mostly centered so long as my speed remained the same), landings and takeoffs in particular seem more stable and easier to control than before. One of the guys I fly with in MP uses a "twisty-stick" instead of pedals; I told him about this and he made the same adjustment, and seemed to like it as well.

So, thanks for the post msalama! The Huey remains my first, and so far my favorite aircraft in DCS, and I'm always on the lookout for tips on flying it better and more realistically.

El Vert

Hi Msalama,

What brand and type of pedals you ard using?

I got the CH products pedals without toebreak but changing sensitivity doesn’t work overhere.

In fact in- or decreasing doesn’t effect at all. All my rudder settings I have on standard.

Regards

Al

In English, sentences begin with uppercase letters. Use a little dot to indicate the sentence has ended (this is called a full stop in British English, and a period in North America and other areas).

When you leave out a letter, or letters, to form a contraction, indicate this by using a ' in place of the missing letters.

Damn, you're correct. This is fun! :rolleyes:

Point!:pilotfly:

he just used as little effort as possible to score a point.

communication brevity.

Efficiency is higher in quality than inefficiency; moreover, efficiency is more easily understood as it follows a clearer standard than low quality, non-efficient gobbledygoop.:smartass:

I think you'll find it's just "English", not "British English".

(sorry, I'm bored and couldn't resist joining in :thumbup:)

(JTF-1) Yomo | 55th FS

JTF-1 Discord

Asus Prime Z370 MB // Intel i7 8086k @ 5GHz // 32GB DDR4 3200 // RTX 2080ti // Virpil FSSB3 Lighting, Cougar Throttle with USB mod, T-50 Base + Warthog HOTAS, custom collective // Thrustmaster TPR // Vipergear v2 ICP // 3xCougar MFDs // a bunch of DIY Button Boxes // Oculus Rift

Word ! :thumbup:

Where Im from we just say ”pedals”. But any term that others understands is fine :)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I think you'll find it's just "English", not "British English".

(sorry, I'm bored and couldn't resist joining in :thumbup:)

I think you'll find some parts of the world where they speak "English" to be completely unintelligible.

Like Texas.

Just kidding, I meant Newcastle.

:P