AI..... Any proposed upgrades?

Just wondered if anything was being done about the AI? More specifically, if AI was anywhere near to replacing ill conceived scripts. Three times, this morning, I’ve been taken out by ATC’s whilst on the ground, cold starting. So now, if I want to play those missions, I’ve either got to start my plane against the clock, just to get rolling quick enough to escape Blind Eddy, or I’ve got to become proficient with the Mission Editor, and try and eliminate all of the nonsense before I even think about flying.

Can we not just have some good, old-fashioned IF....THEN code. IF My F5 is in the path of a speeding AI vehicle THEN either STOP or CHANGE COURSE.

In it’s current state it is incredibly frustrating. Some of this lunacy doesn’t rear it’s ugly head right at the start of a mission, so much time can be wasted, and a great experience ruined.

To add insult to injury, when the last ATC smashed through my F5, I had the ground crew screaming at me, because I was still hooked up to the Ground Air Supply. And then, for the final kick up the arse, I’m informed that my combat points have been taken away because I’ve just committed fratricide. Meanwhile, Blind Eddy is careering through all he can find at the airport. It’d be funnier if I had more time to waste.

Haha

I get this all the time too after some recent openbeta updates.

During taxing out, my approach now is to always watch my back and taxi at greater than stipulated taxi speed just to get way ahead of my No. 2 or any AI aircraft.

Funny to see myself always running from them now.

AI can ruin your day after going through all the startup process only to be rammed into just about to takeoff.

Something actually broke this logic in the recent update, AI used to be very respectful and would stop when they see you close.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

For me, it was more effective to learn the basics of the Editor, instead of just ranting away :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

For me, it was more effective to learn the basics of the Editor, instead of just ranting away :)

And that’s all fine and dandy for you. But, for me, I have enough on my hands trying to learn the planes and systems. If learning the Editor is a prerequisite of playing the sim, then it should be stated on the homepage before any purchase is made.

If making the AI is problematic for ED, then an alternative would be to have Certified missions. In other words missions that have been thoroughly tested with the current build and Certified as being in a suitable state for general use. Missions that are uncertified can then be used either at the user’s peril, or by those, such as yourself, who have the necessary skill set to make them playable.

If making the AI is problematic for ED, then an alternative would be to have Certified missions. In other words missions that have been thoroughly tested with the current build and Certified as being in a suitable state for general use. Missions that are uncertified can then be used either at the user’s peril, or by those, such as yourself, who have the necessary skill set to make them playable.

The idea is sound for sure, but as everything in DCS, there's nothing preventing ED from breaking stuff after every update.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Just wondered if anything was being done about the AI? More specifically, if AI was anywhere near to replacing ill conceived scripts. Three times, this morning, I’ve been taken out by ATC’s whilst on the ground, cold starting. So now, if I want to play those missions, I’ve either got to start my plane against the clock, just to get rolling quick enough to escape Blind Eddy, or I’ve got to become proficient with the Mission Editor, and try and eliminate all of the nonsense before I even think about flying.

Can we not just have some good, old-fashioned IF....THEN code. IF My F5 is in the path of a speeding AI vehicle THEN either STOP or CHANGE COURSE.

In it’s current state it is incredibly frustrating. Some of this lunacy doesn’t rear it’s ugly head right at the start of a mission, so much time can be wasted, and a great experience ruined.

To add insult to injury, when the last ATC smashed through my F5, I had the ground crew screaming at me, because I was still hooked up to the Ground Air Supply. And then, for the final kick up the arse, I’m informed that my combat points have been taken away because I’ve just committed fratricide. Meanwhile, Blind Eddy is careering through all he can find at the airport. It’d be funnier if I had more time to waste.

+1

My first wish in this list is to have the AI to behave according to the same laws of physics as human units. It is quite extensively documented how the AI in DCS perform like UFOs. This means for example that it's nearly impossible in the current config for a human unit to be a AI flight's wingman for example when the AI is, among other things, incapable of flying in formation without cheating. Also, talking about AI flight's wingman, the AI should be capable of leading a flight with human units. Jester and Falcon BMS are enough proof that this possible.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

+1

My first wish in this list is to have the AI to behave according to the same laws of physics as human units. It is quite extensively documented how the AI in DCS perform like UFOs. This means for example that it's nearly impossible in the current config for a human unit to be a AI flight's wingman for example when the AI is, among other things, incapable of flying in formation without cheating. Also, talking about AI flight's wingman, the AI should be capable of leading a flight with human units. Jester and Falcon BMS are enough proof that this possible.

Although I do agree with your hopes and wishes, I can sort of accept the in-flight AI for what it is. Although it is far from perfect, I know that the AI programming involved for flight is incredibly complex, so certain nuances are gonna be missing, and short-cuts taken. It’s when the AI fails at the most basic of levels that I get frustrated. I mean, even a toddler knows to try and put the brakes on rather than smashing his pedal car into a wall.

Two out of two separate missions have had my jet destroyed before I’ve even got the wheels rolling this morning.

Edited by bilbosmeggins

And that’s all fine and dandy for you.

OK, I was just pointing out a fix, because I really believe that just complaining won't really help ... and you seem to be far from a newbie, and a simple editing of the parking spot assigned to the AI would be within the grasp of a user with 7 years of experience.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

OK, I was just pointing out a fix, because I really believe that just complaining won't really help ... and you seem to be far from a newbie, and a simple editing of the parking spot assigned to the AI would be within the grasp of a user with 7 years of experience.

I’ve only been playing with any degree of seriousness for about 2 months. I’ve had it on my hard drive since the original Black Shark, but it has always been too complex for me, and too demanding for my pc. So, in the past, I’ve only ever tooled around with a few take-offs and landings, with a bit of (poor) flying in the middle. No learning of comms, navs, weapons or anything until now. I now have a decent(ish) pc, and more resolve to learn. But no, I hadn’t factored in learning the Editor as well. Maybe I should, but that shouldn’t be a get-out clause for ED.

I admit I'm lazy, I could probably Google. And you're probably right, so could you explain just how to do that? Currently in Spring Tension campaign for the Mi-8, and Deployment campaign for the Ka-50. Whenever there is a mission with a wingman on a FARP. He spawns on top of me. I have tried to fix this, but it seems I can't drag the my wingman to another "landing spot". Both in Mission Editor, and mission planner. But I'm able to drag the FARP around. And if I just drag it a tiny bit. Problem's solved. But I shouldn't be able to drag the FARP around in the planner, should I? Anyway. I usually do it in ME, and saves it, so I have found my fix, annoying as it is. But, I can't seem to move my wingies. Oh. Seems to me this only happens on FARPS. Not airports.

Apart from this. How will your fix work when the AI crashes into you when taxiing? In DCE missions for example. Ain't no mission editor for those. I don't mean to be a smartass. I'm really curious, because I know you have ME knowledge. I am enjoying a lot of you're work!

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I wonder if it was a mission that is part of a module or campaign sold. Then this clearly is something that has to be fixed.

At least it's great we can modify things with the ME as a workaround, and switching some parking spots isn't all that hard.

But I still fail to understand what an ATC is in this context. I doubt that is the guys you're talking to around airfields... otherwise it'd be certainly a Layer 8 problem if someone kept crashing into the tower constantly and blaming others who got their coffee spilled as well rdlaugh.png

Bottom line: The AI needs a lot of improvements anyway. And it begins with very basic things like units being able to see and shoot though forests or even keep tracking planes that cover behind hill ridges. Let alone clouds...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I wonder if it was a mission that is part of a module or campaign sold. Then this clearly is something that has to be fixed.

At least it's great we can modify things with the ME as a workaround, and switching some parking spots isn't all that hard.

But I still fail to understand what an ATC is in this context. I doubt that is the guys you're talking to around airfields... otherwise it'd be certainly a Layer 8 problem if someone kept crashing into the tower constantly and blaming others who got their coffee spilled as well rdlaugh.png

Bottom line: The AI needs a lot of improvements anyway. And it begins with very basic things like units being able to see and shoot though forests or even keep tracking planes that cover behind hill ridges. Let alone clouds...

Lol! Sodding acronyms. I meant an APC, a bloody big jeep thing :megalol:

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png