Building a MiG 15 campaign

Shibbyland

Hi All,

I'm in the very early stages of building a campaign for the MiG 15. I'm new to mission building and so am taking all the guidance I can get to make them more detailed and immersive.

I'll only be building the odd basic mission initially to put out into the community for download and get feedback on.

Before I get too far into it, I thought I'd get people's opinions on a few ideas in terms of asset use.

The basic premise of the campaign is one set in the Caucasus in the 1950s. It will involve a conflict between the USSR and some kind of separatist force (I won't go too into detail just yet but I've got many ideas for what I think will be a decent story).

Please note: I will not be using mods for these missions, please give all opinions in that context. (The B-29 is out).

Here's what I need opinions on. The 1950s is quite niche and unrepresented by in game assets. There are obviously WW2 assets which will transfer over nicely in some places however, these are UK, US and German so mostly don't fit in the Soviet union.

My preference is to use German and British Units to represent the separatist force particularly when it comes to anti aircraft weapons (I will not be using RADAR or SA missiles). These will not be considered German or British but most likely represent Georgia.

What do you think is better. Using 1940s equipment of a non-soviet nation to get the weapons (and thus their performance) more period correct, or use the 1960s and 70s Soviet equipment available in game and just pretend they were available in the 1950s. Keep in mind, the MiG 15 will be outclassed by 1960s+ surface to air weapons in most cases.

The MiG 15 is a fantastic module which doesn't get enough love. I want to change that.

If I have success in the community, my ultimate goal is to get Russian speakers involved and hopefully get some voice messages in game with English captions.

• 3 months later...

If the campaign is taking place in the 1950s, then I would definitely use WWII assets as they have played a very important role during the Korean War.

It also stands to reason if there had been a separatist revolt in the Caucasus in the 1950s, Western powers would have provided the insurgents with military hardware that was cheap and abundant and not too complex to handle for non professionnal fighters.

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

• 1 month later...