HOTAS Cougar software on a modern Windows - Page 12 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #111
Rudel_chw
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Antofagasta, Chile
Posts: 6,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith301 View Post
I never liked the T7/T8 for it's designed function the speed brakes.
Always felt to stiff and mechanical for something that IMO needs to respond smoothly when dog-fighting. At least mine always feels like you have to jamb it back forward to get it out of the T7 mode.
Seems to me that you are confusing the T9-T10 switch, with the T7/T8. The T9-T10 is the one meant for the speedbrakes, it has one locking position and one that must be held.

On many early Cougars the T7-T8 was misaligned, I corrected mine using these instructions:


https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...18&postcount=2

Eduardo
__________________
For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra
For Gaming: 27" Monitor - Ryzen 1500X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1
Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #112
msmith301
Member
 
msmith301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
Seems to me that you are confusing the T9-T10 switch, with the T7/T8. The T9-T10 is the one meant for the speedbrakes, it has one locking position and one that must be held.

On many early Cougars the T7-T8 was misaligned, I corrected mine using these instructions:


https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...18&postcount=2

Eduardo
My bad.
I was going off a recently downloaded file that actually shows both switches being labeled as T7/T8.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cougar_throttle.pdf (1.06 MB, 7 views)
msmith301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:25 PM   #113
Lange_666
Senior Member
 
Lange_666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bubblegium
Posts: 2,013
Send a message via ICQ to Lange_666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith301 View Post
Damn!! That's a lot of muscle memory!
Trying to remember 29 different buttons with 3 different settings for each.
Once you go VR you need to have a bit of muscle memory because you can't see the keyboard (or additional keypads) so some more stuff needs to be added to the HOTAS. Most important things on the main layer (like for while dogfighting...) and less important stuff on the sublayer(s).
__________________
Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400, Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.
Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!
Lange_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #114
msmith301
Member
 
msmith301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange_666 View Post
Once you go VR you need to have a bit of muscle memory because you can't see the keyboard (or additional keypads) so some more stuff needs to be added to the HOTAS. Most important things on the main layer (like for while dogfighting...) and less important stuff on the sublayer(s).
While the concept of VR is awesome I've stayed away from it because I have heard the graphics aren't even close to a high grade T.V./Monitor. I have been using a 49" 2160p 4K UHD.
What's your opinion?
msmith301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:29 AM   #115
Rudel_chw
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Antofagasta, Chile
Posts: 6,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith301 View Post
What's your opinion?
This is one of those things that you have to try for yourself ... a verbal description from someone else wont do. Try the VR of a friend, or look for a Store that allows live demonstrations.

It's true that the resolution is lower than a 4K monitor (much lower in fact) .. but the monitor ends at the border, the VR keeps going ... you can look in any direction you want, you will never see your computer room ... instead you are inside the cockpit.

You make a sudden loop and you can feel your stomach getting upset, it is so much more realistic than a conventional monitor .. but, again, you have to try it yourself.

For me the main difficulty wasnt the resolution, but getting used to the pressure of the helmet on your face, it can get warm and tiring after a long flight.
__________________
For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra
For Gaming: 27" Monitor - Ryzen 1500X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1
Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:05 AM   #116
msmith301
Member
 
msmith301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
This is one of those things that you have to try for yourself ... a verbal description from someone else wont do. Try the VR of a friend, or look for a Store that allows live demonstrations.

It's true that the resolution is lower than a 4K monitor (much lower in fact) .. but the monitor ends at the border, the VR keeps going ... you can look in any direction you want, you will never see your computer room ... instead you are inside the cockpit.

You make a sudden loop and you can feel your stomach getting upset, it is so much more realistic than a conventional monitor .. but, again, you have to try it yourself.

For me the main difficulty wasnt the resolution, but getting used to the pressure of the helmet on your face, it can get warm and tiring after a long flight.
I've read forum post of people not being used to it and actually having sore necks after the first couple of times using it.
msmith301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #117
Lange_666
Senior Member
 
Lange_666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bubblegium
Posts: 2,013
Send a message via ICQ to Lange_666
Default

Or motion sickness (for me only a bit and i got used to that).
The first time i entered a cockpit in VR i had a very big WOW moment (despite the lower graphics, shimmering and the ghosting). Of course you get used to everything so the WOW is a bit gone because i know what to expect but still...
__________________
Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400, Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.
Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!
Lange_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.