Take Off in the Bf 109K-4

iFoxRomeo

Incorrect on the bold part. DCS applies it progressively, if very quickly. You can confirm that yourself with the control indicator.

With that known, you really don't need axis controlled brakes. Tapping or very briefly holding a button/key works fine during initial roll out.

I didn't know that, interesting! Thanks for the correction.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

once you learn to take off in the i-16 the 109 is positively trivial to take off in, doesnt need any of this weird brake circus youre talking about at all

Oh you need it, try take off with strong cross wind, or with tail wind.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Oh you need it, try take off with strong cross wind, or with tail wind.
You don't take off with tail wind.

If you advance quickly, but not rushed, to about 1.1/1.2 AtA you should be able to manage with only full rudder.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You don't take off with tail wind.

If you advance quickly, but not rushed, to about 1.1/1.2 AtA you should be able to manage with only full rudder.

I found out, that after recent ground handling changes, you need a little more braking then before.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

There was a trick that makes things easier - to use manual prop for take off.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Mind sharing more details Yo-Yo?

I guess that prop pitch around 12:00 and not go past certain ATA?

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

But you cant use 1.8 with this. Engine will over rev.

Set to 1130-1145 works fine at 1.8 Ata.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Prop pitch manually to 12:00 and 1.45ATA is absolutely fine for a nice take off.

Even with a 500kg bomb loaded, I don't use 1.78ATA/MW50. Only for extreme short take offs with full flaps.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Prop pitch manually to 12:00 and 1.45ATA is absolutely fine for a nice take off.

Even with a 500kg bomb loaded, I don't use 1.78ATA/MW50. Only for extreme short take offs with full flaps.

Fox

Wow i can see you tapping right brake :P

I didn't say that take off w/o brakes is impossible.

Edited by grafspee

Wow i can see you tapping right brake :P

I didn't say that take off w/o brakes is impossible.

I never said, that you said so...

It was just a video for the manual prop pitch.

It's no shame to use the brakes.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• ED Team
But you cant use 1.8 with this. Engine will over rev.

But you should not.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Like I said works fine for 1130-1145

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Nothing. You need to compensate the torque, slipstream and may be even crosswind. The most critical moment is , when you take off, but are still slow. Try to fly parallel to the ground until you are fast enough and do not pull back, as you will stall and when you push the throttle forward in a stall/near stall the torque will flip the plane.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Every time I take off the plane bank to the left, so I have to pull the stick to the right to compensate...what Am I doing wrong? Don't have expertise with WWII airplanes.

It is common thing, i always put a little right aileron for take off.

Most important thing is to not force tail to lift, just wait until tail lifts off by it self, sometime you should put tiny back pressure on stick to delay tail lift or when you aim for 3 point take off. I think in Fw 190 series, 3 point take off is one which you are looking for.

Edited by grafspee

The little bit of right stick is the normal method, and how you should do it.

Alternatively, keep the stick centered, and when you get the tail up apply slight forward pressure to keep the 109 on the ground (two wheels) for about 5-10 secs past the point where it'd normally want to take off on its own.

You'll pick up enough extra speed that when you ease it off ground, the wing drop is less apparent.

Trade off is more time on the rudder to keep running straight on the ground.

The key is exactly what Shagrat says though, ease it off and don't pull back.

Edited by Buzzles

The little bit of right stick is the normal method, and how you should do it.

Alternatively, keep the stick centered, and when you get the tail up apply slight forward pressure to keep the 109 on the ground (two wheels) for about 5-10 secs past the point where it'd normally want to take off on its own.

You'll pick up enough extra speed that when you ease it off ground, the wing drop is less apparent.

Trade off is more time on the rudder to keep running straight on the ground.

The key is exactly what Shagrat says though, ease it off and don't pull back.

10 seconds? Whole take off takes something like 10 seconds :P

Edited by grafspee