Do I have to stick with AMD graphics card for future upgrades?

Hey all...don't even know where to start to build a computer, so I purchased one instead. Have a Dell w/ AMD 2nd gen Ryzen 7, 2700X w/ AMD RX580 16gb ram. I have been looking into upgrading the graphics card within next few weeks and was wondering if I have to stay with AMD to avoid any issues, or can I opt for a GTX 1080 TI plug and play after DL'ing drivers? If not, would it be beneficial to upgrade to a RX590 Fatboy or is that not a justifiable purchase/upgrade?

You shouldn't have a problem using a single nvidia GPU.

Might be some concern if you were to ever attempt SLI.. which most of us don't.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3493494/ryzen-nvidia-sli.html

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

AMD is kinda handicapped in DCS, I'm running an overclocked Vega which isn't much better than a 1070 in DCS, go for the nvidia if you can afford it. Windows should be able to handle the swap, if it doesn't it's easy to fix, just check back in.

Gonna need an SSD if you don't already have one, check into the m.2 ssd's. Even if you just get a little one, and load DCS onto that, that'll enhance the experience.

I'm assuming you got the inspiron game desktop. Nice box. You could mine the crap outa cryptonight on that sucka. It'll definitely push some jets around. But get the 1080ti, nothing is ever enough around here

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

The other option is to wait, AMD are releasing new CPU's AM4's as well as new GPU Radeon VII they may not be at the 2080Ti level but might be up there with 1080/2070 offerings. We wont know until we get our mitts on one. :D

But there shouldn't be anything stopping you dropping in an nVidia, just uninstall the current drivers and software, shutdown unplug the PC or atleast turn the wall socket switch off and swap out the GPU and restart and install the drivers. You will of course likely void the warranty.

Also keep in mind there are some fairly savvy computer nerds on this forum who would help you through the process if you want to do a PC build. :thumbup:

<edit>

Also you might want to consider going through the DRM procedure for your installed modules etc. Although ED do not explicitly include GPU's in the DRM point scheme.

Edited by FragBum
<edit><typo>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The 2060 from what I've seen benches very closely to the 1080, while the 2070 benches about halfway between the 1080 and the 1080Ti.

If we're expecting 1080 performance from the next AMD gpu's, they're going to have to price them competitively with the 2060 afaict. They're also going to need to respond to DLSS.. which you can only experience in one title @ 4k afaik at the moment, however, my experience with DLSS is that it's pretty awesome.

My fear is - DLSS might be too difficult/time consuming for NV and their supercomputer for VR support.. otherwise, it offers comparible image quality to msaa without the hit to framerates. I'm hoping that they can figure something out for VR though.

Frankly, I'm very interested in seeing where development of the NGX SDK goes over the next half a decade and more. DLSS is just feature #1. I'd really love to see Eagle Dynamics make use of the tech, even though their stance on things like this is pretty firm. That's a topic for another thread.. but I can't help but feel NGX would be a great thing in the simming world. Using DLSS in place of msaa would solve a lot of complaints in this forum, and when we get to the point where the NGX SDK is able to handle AI programming, possibly to a level like nothing we've ever seen, as the hardware is responsible for driving vehicles in the real world, I just can't help but think that could make for some amazing single player experiences, or even make co-op missions that much more fun.

I'm going to stop..i could keep going on and on about how awesome that would be paired with the upcoming dynamic campaign generator, but both are in the distant future, and I'd probably just be getting my own hopes up. I have a hunch that future nvidia gpu's will see an increase in RT and Tensor core count, as the NGX SDK allows for more functionality within the rendering pipeline with future development.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.