Trying to setup mouse zoom

EGG

So the way DCS works is that you have a mouse mode for clicking and a mouse mode for panning/zooming, changing between the two using either LAlt-C or double-middle-click. I have a TrackIR, and had wanted to use the mouse to both click and zoom. At the same time. Yep. There's no problem regarding using the mouse wheel for spinning dials, as clicking and dragging them does just as well.

So for a long while I would edit the clickable_common.lua file, and set:

use_click_and_pan_mode = true

This works perfectly in singleplayer, I can look around the cockpit, zoom on areas and click on switches.

Unfortunately in multiplayer, editing this file fails the integrity check on some servers. So it's back to square one. I have some POV Hat axis bound on my Joystick to zoom, but would like it on the mouse also.

So far I've tried:

- a vast amount of googling

- trying to assign the mouse Z axis to anything (seemingly can't be done)

- looked at creating a per-aircraft input LUA mod, but decided this would probably fail the integrity check also

Lastly I'm trying to create an AHK script to push in zoom commands via the mousewheel. This works in notepad, but DCS doesn't seem to care. I've tried both Send and SendInput below.

Does anyone know why the below might not work? Failing that, what exactly does everyone else use to zoom in-cockpit? Do HOTAS users just look at exactly the button they want to press? (seems like a nightmare for MiG-21 startup...)

SendMode Input
#SingleInstance Ignore

WheelDown::
;SendInput {NumpadMult}
Send, {NumpadMult}
Sleep, 100
return

WheelUp::
;SendInput {NumpadDiv}
Send, {NumpadDiv}
Sleep, 100
return

So the AHK script below basically gives me what I needed, however it breaks the ability to zoom in or out on the F10 map.

What does everyone else have zoom bound to?

SendMode Input
#SingleInstance Ignore

WheelUp::
SendEvent {NumpadMult down}
Sleep, 800
SendEvent {NumpadMult up}
return

WheelDown::
SendEvent {NumpadDiv down}
Sleep, 800
SendEvent {NumpadDiv up}
return