Obutto Console project

romeokilo

Absolutely beautiful! Damn shame you don't live near me so I could rent some time on the equipment ;)

Asrock z68 Extreme4Gen3

Intel i5-2500K

8GB ram

EVGA GTX 770 4GB

Creative Recon3d Fatality Champion

HDD's

320 GB Maxtor 7200RPM (OS and misc system files)

1 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM (games and music, storage)

64 GB Sandisk u100 SSD (Star Wars and DCS world 1.2.7)

Trackir 4

Saitek X65F:joystick:

Saitek X52 (Use flightstick for helo and WWII Sims, but X65 throttle)

CH Pro pedals

Thrustmaster MFD's

Logitech X5500 Speakers

Sennheiser PC360 Headphones

Win 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

I finished the Caution Box! It WORKS :thumbup:

I changed the design a little. It is now in this order-

3mm MDF LED panel > 3mm MDF Spacer > 3mm MDF Spacer > 3mm Acrylic text panel > 1.5mm Acrylic frame panel

Here it is broken down-

DSC_0090_zps66450d0d.jpg

Here is the MDF LED panel. The screws are the panel mounts for the Phidgets 64-

DSC_0092_zps5bb941fe.jpg

The text panel is a 3mm Transparent Green Acrylic Sheet. I painted one side with matte black then reverse engraved the text into it.

Here is the rear side of it-

DSC_0096_zpsce544535.jpg

The result is what looks like a gloss jet black piece of plastic from the front.

In the first photo above it is the bottom left panel.

And once it is back lit-

DSC_0094_zpsa708b2fb.jpg

I tried it as is but the hot spots in the text was terrible. So i cut a whole heap of these to diffuse the LED's a bit-

DSC_0097_zps16961454.jpg

Just dropped them in-

DSC_0098_zpsf0af1d00.jpg

Bolted it all together-

DSC_0099_zps04286603.jpg

DSC_0100_zpsa5d54771.jpg

And the result is fantastic. This picture doesn't do it justice. Absolutely no bleed between each indicator. I'll get a video up soon.

I'm happy :D

DSC_0122_zpsbd4132ae.jpg

Edited by romeokilo

• 2 months later...

Romeo,

This is absolutely amazing. I have an Obutto Revolution, and I was looking to do something very similar, except that I am using MDF to create my consoles. I love how this is turning out, and to be honest I am quite jealous. I will be keeping up with this project for sure. Youve already given me tons of ideas, however most I lack the equipment or knowledge to do myself. Great work!!! :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while since I have been on here. Changed jobs, moved house and I have a new son on the way- but I am finally around to unpacking the pit and getting back into it. :thumbup:

A few changes have been made.

Major one- the triple monitors are gone (sold today!) and will soon be replaced with a projector.

The small 19 inch monitor will remain as a glass cockpit once i work out a mounting mechanism for the now 'half' Obutto cockpit.

I am currently designing a small glare shield to go on top of it with fire handles, master caution button and a few switches. Maybe a UFC on top later on.

Things I've done this week-

Landing gear and AHCP panel view from the rear.

DSC_0290_zps5185a65c.jpg

The gear handle mechanism in place. Still prototyping that.

DSC_0292_zps79f7d790.jpg

The lighting circuit for it. Changed things up- I'm now using three LEDs per resistor in series rather than three in parallel. Benefits are much less soldering/wiring runs, however the back lighting is now slightly uneven. After running some experiments i realized that due to the acrylic spacer panels I use the unevenness is not even noticeable when the panel is all together.

DSC_0294_zps57f3127e.jpg

All together-

DSC_0295_zpsa98802c1.jpg

I also started using vinyl wrap on the rear. It holds the LEDs in place without any gluing required, stops light bleeding from the rear and also insulates the circuit to prevent it shorting on any bolts/switches. Plus makes it look much more professional. Win win.

DSC_0301_zps4c2f18c6.jpg

LEDs from the front-

DSC_0304_zps699dcc06.jpg

Spacer panel on-

DSC_0309_zps4c1222f1.jpg

Top panels on-

DSC_0318_zps83687baa.jpg

DSC_0319_zpsb1786e98.jpg

UHF back lighting

DSC_0339_zps91b27a76.jpg

DSC_0341_zpsc4582e1c.jpg

wow......just wow.

Are you planning on selling any of this stuff in the future mate ?? :joystick:

I have thought about it. I'm certainly not going to open a business, but since i have the cutter and the files it seems like a good idea to do a few runs if people are interested. Before I look into that I'll get my pit complete to work out all the issues- so it may happen but will be a long time away.

Looks fantastic but won't it be a problem if you need to change an LED having to peel back the vinyl wrap? I'd be worried it would pull the entire wiring and LED array up with it.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Looks fantastic but won't it be a problem if you need to change an LED having to peel back the vinyl wrap? I'd be worried it would pull the entire wiring and LED array up with it.

I've already removed some to fix some minor issues and it was not a problem.

The LEDs fit so tightly that it does take some force to remove them. Plus the fact that I've used solid core wire makes it quite strong.

The vinyl peels of easily. :thumbup:

I've finished most of the panels now.

Only one I haven't done is the CMSP- waiting to pick a suitable display and mess around with arduino and DCS-Bios.

Here is what it looks like at the moment. Sorry about the dark photos- I was running out of daylight.

DSC_0346_zpsf04628d0.jpg

DSC_0350_zpscfa19fed.jpg

DSC_0351_zps76276931.jpg

DSC_0352_zpse6b6f54b.jpg

DSC_0356_zps738c9d61.jpg

And here is something else I'm playing around with. My custom 'master caution and fire' panel will hit the inside of the rubbish bin. Functions will be moved to the glare shield and I haven't decided what will takes its place yet- most likely the NMSP.

DSC_0359_zps19aa13e2.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...