preferred method operating in the cockpit...

fitness88

Currently flying the F-18:

Beyond the recommended joystick mapping I'm trying to use more and more the cursor/mouse input to control the numerous in-cockpit switches, buttons, dials etc.

I feel a bit clumsy using the mouse in this department so I'd like to know how some of you have smoothed out the interaction between pilot and cockpit controls.

Thank you.

I use the mouse and MFDs. But I prefer physical switches. So I'm getting back to building my button boxes to do exactly that. Also, check out the Miles "new VR pointing" (I think that's the thread) in the parent Input/Output thread. Maybe that will help you when it's released?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I use the in game cursor for VR to look at the switches and then manipulate them with buttons I have assigned on my stick.

And then of course Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro for my comms.

For cold starts whenever I do them, I would use the Rift Touch controllers.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've had my Rift since before they came out with Touch controllers. I was using the Warthog, with a mouse on my right side and a trackball on the left side of the throttle.

After seeing a bit on Youtube about right clicking with them, I bought a set this week, but after only two days with them, I'm floored at how much more immersive using them to click buttons and switches is. Also, you can use the thumbsticks to replace the mouse wheel when manipulating knobs.

I have the left controller sitting the to my throttle, and the right one on a small table I built. Both are at about thigh height and are perfect spots to set them when my hands are on the HOTAS.

On the left controller, one button also does ESC and another centers VR. One button on the right controller zooms VR (though I'll still keep that function on the throttle's MSP button).

I'm still looking forward to seeing what MilesD comes up with, but right now I'm pretty happy.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I've had my Rift since before they came out with Touch controllers. I was using the Warthog, with a mouse on my right side and a trackball on the left side of the throttle.

After seeing a bit on Youtube about right clicking with them, I bought a set this week, but after only two days with them, I'm floored at how much more immersive using them to click buttons and switches is. Also, you can use the thumbsticks to replace the mouse wheel when manipulating knobs.

I have the left controller sitting the to my throttle, and the right one on a small table I built. Both are at about thigh height and are perfect spots to set them when my hands are on the HOTAS.

On the left controller, one button also does ESC and another centers VR. One button on the right controller zooms VR (though I'll still keep that function on the throttle's MSP button).

I'm still looking forward to seeing what MilesD comes up with, but right now I'm pretty happy.

Are you referring to:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6%2bkSoxdN&id=5391433CE54AF6A9FF44A671CC2E1BF65D57B8D2&thid=OIP.6-kSoxdNXMhPec7YbQ-dAgHaFD&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fsulopa.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2016%2f05%2fHTC-Vive-vs-Oculus-Rift-which-VR-headset-is-better8.png&exph=1031&expw=1510&q=oculus+rift+hand+controller&simid=608033012436896646&selectedIndex=6

I use the mouse and MFDs. But I prefer physical switches. So I'm getting back to building my button boxes to do exactly that. Also, check out the Miles "new VR pointing" (I think that's the thread) in the parent Input/Output thread. Maybe that will help you when it's released?

With VR I'm trying to get away from physical switches except the standard j-stick mapping.

I use the in game cursor for VR to look at the switches and then manipulate them with buttons I have assigned on my stick.

And then of course Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro for my comms.

For cold starts whenever I do them, I would use the Rift Touch controllers.

How do you get the game cursor active on demand, I need to move the mouse for that to happen then I have 2 cursors, one guided by the mouse and one guided by the HMD.

Also do you use the UI layer for all mouse switches/buttons commands?

Edited by fitness88

I don't find the controllers any more or less immersive than simply using a mouse, mine being a logitech trackball mouse which I have velcro'ed to a strap on my thigh. This removes the need for an area to place a mouse pad and gives me a good muscle memory mapping between the joystick and mouse which are always in the same place in relation to each other. I imagine it's a personal thing but when I grope around looking for something in feel-around mode that tends to pull me out of the cockpit more than anything else.

I don't find the controllers any more or less immersive than simply using a mouse, mine being a logitech trackball mouse which I have velcro'ed to a strap on my thigh. This removes the need for an area to place a mouse pad and gives me a good muscle memory mapping between the joystick and mouse which are always in the same place in relation to each other. I imagine it's a personal thing but when I grope around looking for something in feel-around mode that tends to pull me out of the cockpit more than anything else.

Yes I agree and I feel it's a personal thing as well. Tonight I've tried the mouse mapped to the stick using the HMD to control the cursor. I feel the mouse is a more natural combo of movements having all the controls in one plus having a programable mouse allows for all kinds of layered commands.

How do you get the game cursor active on demand, I need to move the mouse for that to happen then I have 2 cursors, one guided by the mouse and one guided by the HMD.

Also do you use the UI layer for all mouse switches/buttons commands?

I just have it selected in the UI layer to use mouse and confine to game window.

When I press the button I have assigned the VR mouse cursor appears. After a short bit it disappears again.

I don't get two cursors.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I fly in VR and use a combination. I like the tactile feel of the steel two way switches, and have both my VPC throttle and custom built button box with a number of both them and rotary encoders. For the MFDs, I have a normal mouse for my right hand and a Logitech ball mouse for the left hand. Works for me.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I just have it selected in the UI layer to use mouse and confine to game window.

When I press the button I have assigned the VR mouse cursor appears. After a short bit it disappears again.

I don't get two cursors.

Correction...yes I have the same as you stated. I meant the cursor is moved by both the HMD and the mouse interchangeably. Is there anyway to extend the active period of the cursor before it disappears?

Reading here it seems like no 2 people do it the exact same way...

Edited by fitness88

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I use HOTAS, TM Cougar and Buddy-Fox UFC. Then I built a stand for my Logitech trackball by my side, in the chair. I prefer trackball over mouse any day. Tried Rift Touch controls but didn´t like for DCS, they are better implemented on X-Plane for example.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

How do you fly the plane holding onto the hand devices?

I don’t. I put them to the side when I don’t need them, and pick them up when I need to.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Trackball on left and mouse on right :joystick: :thumbup: :pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Trackball on left and mouse on right :joystick: :thumbup: :pilotfly:

I've read that in other posts as well . Would be interested in knowing why both needed in VR ??

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have Thrustmaster MFD's left and right close in front.I set them about where they would be in the pit (obviously lower) I can pretty much feel my way around them pretty well ... I use the rockers as reference points ...for the f-18 top rocker on the top left is AA/AG switch bottom is arm switch ...on the right radio lower left ....still have to setup the other rockers .....

Edited by Hellcat

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I've read that in other posts as well . Would be interested in knowing why both needed in VR ??

With my controls location, my stick is on the right. Having a trackball on the left allows continued control of the aircraft whilst I still click on cockpit controls. I find myself using it a lot, although I’ll use my normal mouse during a cold start.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

With my controls location, my stick is on the right. Having a trackball on the left allows continued control of the aircraft whilst I still click on cockpit controls. I find myself using it a lot, although I’ll use my normal mouse during a cold start.

Thanks for that . I have my trackball on the left for the same reason . So apparently the mouse isn't a VR thing , but to make cold starts easier for righties , as i am .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hell , i can't slap myself with my left hand . Still making do with a righty trackball on the left , though .

I'm a righty but from day one with computers I've always been a lefty controlling the mouse. I've tried a track ball but never felt comfortable controlling the cursor. I've tried using the HMD to move the cursor and used the HOTAS for cursor command but ended up going back to just using my mouse for all cursor activity.