CTLD: Troop deployment with JTAC

Baaz

To all you coders out there:

I'm working on a Vietnam era map scenario using CTLD for troop deployment. What I want to do is have a JTAC as part of the squad when I load troopers through F10 option. Furthermore, I want the JTAC to mark HIS position with smoke, and call out enemy positions relative to his own. The use of laser codes and such is a non issue, as it will be Huey's, A-4's, and F-5's with dumb bombs and rockets only. Is this even possible?

I don't know jack about coding, aside from being able to change a value or two. So, if it is possible, I may have to abandon my old and crotchety set ways, and have one of you younger generation folk show me the light. Those of you who I have recently interacted with in other discussions know who you are ;)

From Ciribob's CTLD Script:

ctld.loadableGroups = {

{name = "Standard Group", inf = 6, mg = 2, inf - JTAC = 1?? }, -- will make a loadable group with 5 infantry, 2 MGs and 1 anti-tank for both coalitions

{name = "Anti Air", inf = 4, mg = 2, aa = 2 },

{name = "Anti Tank", inf = 4, mg = 2, at = 2 },

{name = "Mortar Squad", mortar = 4, inf = 4 },

-- {name = "Mortar Squad Red", inf = 2, mortar = 5, side =1 }, --would make a group loadable by RED only

Would that bold section I inserted solve part of my problem? How do I go about addressing the other issues? Thank you in advance.

/r

Baaz

I had the same issue. Also, since he wasn't attached to the troopers, he wouldn't follow the same rules they have. For example, actively searching for the enemy if none found in the drop zone.

I hadn't tried this, but will test it out shortly, is trying to give the JTAC a "follow" command. Can't for the life of me recall if that command can be applied to troops. And, it certainly doesn't address the issue of once deployed, he's no longer transportable again.

Instead of deploying a JTAC, can I have the troops deployed via CTLD send out a radio message and give general location when rounds start flying (think it's something like 200-300 meters away)? Something like,

"TROOPS IN CONTACT! FH37!!" Could I also have that message repeated every 2 mins until the last trooper dies, or enemy destroyed??

Finding them wouldn't be as easy as looking for smoke, but I could zero in on the tracer fire.

Edited by Baaz

With a CTLD spawned JTAC from a crate, I have no way of repacking said crate (to my knowledge).

With the randomness of where the troops could potentially be deployed, wouldn't I need to have trigger zones all over the place, move the JTAC to that zone, and then use the embark command?? I suppose I could create zones to cover a much larger area, and then as long as the JTAC is in that zone he can embark, but is that even possible with a CTLD crate-spawned JTAC??

I'm a big fan of your videos, and have watched each several times now. In this particular instance you may need to create one more to show just how you're process works.

Hi Baaz,

You wouldn't need a JTAC crate for my method and as IRL you would have predetermined pickup and drop off points that can easily be set with a normal group of troops without the need for spawning and re-spawning. I kept my tests and usage simple but I will try and expand upon it area wise and see what I can come up with. Of course it will also depend on your JTACs survival during operations.

I will indeed try and put a video together explaining my method, as it is too long winded to type here. Glad you are finding the videos useful. It's always great to receive feedback. Cheers.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]