Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

Cyph3r

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine just in time.

So now that's over with, I have a couple questions.

1. I like the smooth handle inserts better. Has Virpil ran out of these inserts? Can anything be done on new orders? Do the knurled inserts look any better in person? Are they a metal, or plastic insert?

2. That ugly red / yellow button! Has anyone figured out a way to make it go away? In the pics, it seems to destroy the looks of a otherwise fine looking throttle. I really wish it wasn't there. Does it look just as bad in person? Can the outer ring be removed at least?

Edited by Wmacky

I got mine just in time.

So now that's over with, I have a couple questions.

1. I like the smooth handle inserts better. Has Virpil ran out of these inserts? Can anything be done on new orders? Do the knurled inserts look any better in person? Are they a metal, or plastic insert?

2. That ugly red / yellow button! Has anyone figured out a way to make it go away? In the pics, it seems to destroy the looks of a otherwise fine looking throttle. I really wish it wasn't there. Does it look just as bad in person? Can the outer ring be removed at least?

All Knurled now I think. You could only get smooth handles in the initial pre-orders. The red/yellow button is fine - doesn't bother me.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Smooth for me....

9Uo4MN.jpg

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

So far I'm loving this thing. The one major downfall of it is there is no 3-way toggle switches. Its got the spring loaded t4 t5 t6 switches but needs toggle

Agreed.

My suggestion for mk II, after using Mk I for a month+

1. Remove big red/yellow button, add 2x3-way toggles in place of it
  2. I'd rather have additional 2 square buttons in place of covered one
  3. Analog stick instead of 5 way hat would be nice to have, but not essential
  4. Tempo and chain functions in software

Very utilitarian and won't look so "cool", I know. Overall rather minor tweaks and I bet everyone has different opinions.

Edited by mdee

Mdee have you used joystick Gremlin? It has all the tempo/chain commands and lots more. I've been using it for a couple weeks and love it. Unlike the target script program I was using, with joystick Gremlin you can switch profiles on the fly too. I push numpad 1 for UH1, numpad 2 for AV-8 and so on. Love it

Mdee have you used joystick Gremlin? It has all the tempo/chain commands and lots more. I've been using it for a couple weeks and love it. Unlike the target script program I was using, with joystick Gremlin you can switch profiles on the fly too. I push numpad 1 for UH1, numpad 2 for AV-8 and so on. Love it

Yeah I use it, but considering what Virpil software already can do, I guess they could add chain and tempo too, so I'll have to use gremlin only for very special cases.

mdee. totally agree with the red/yellow thing. the red plastic piece that encompasses the yellow button looks goofy. it doesn't serve any purpose either. don't get me wrong though. awesome throttle. I can nitpick on anything if I get picky though

mdee. totally agree with the red/yellow thing. the red plastic piece that encompasses the yellow button looks goofy. it doesn't serve any purpose either. don't get me wrong though. awesome throttle. I can nitpick on anything if I get picky though

It's your dump button.

You don't want to accidentally dump your stores, and you want to be able to find it quick and securely in a condition when this means being able salvage an aircraft or not.

I don't see any problems with it.

As for toggles I still got a few of those on my left ;)

IMG_2354untitled.jpg

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

That's just it. That red piece of plastic doesn't protect you at all from jettisoning your stores. I can easily press the yellow button without any protection. That's what a cover is for.

I have the Warthog too but I use it for fixed wing and the VPC for helo.

It's your dump button.

You don't want to accidentally dump your stores, and you want to be able to find it quick and securely in a condition when this means being able salvage an aircraft or not.

I don't see any problems with it.

As for toggles I still got a few of those on my left ;)

IMG_2354untitled.jpg

dump button? i used one of the bottom 3 rotaties to dump and yellow red button for eject. no idea how to combine it to dump with 1 press and 3 for eject.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Received mine today, so just spent the last couple of hours updating the config for most of my aircraft.

Was ordered on the 19th Oct, so delivery time was very much as expected.

Clearly very well built, love how well engineered it feels when compared to most similar kit.

The throttle is significantly easier to be more precise with than my old CH unit and there's buttons galore.

Just loosened off the friction levels a bit and will probably play with the detents for the throttles.

I've also removed the orange flip up switch cover, as frankly it just gets in the way of a potentially useful button and doesn't really add much value.

All in all, I'm a very happy customer.

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I've also removed the orange flip up switch cover, as frankly it just gets in the way of a potentially useful button and doesn't really add much value.

This is interesting. Was it easy to do? Was it reversible or did you need to break something to remove it? Thx

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

Received mine today, so just spent the last couple of hours updating the config for most of my aircraft.

Was ordered on the 19th Oct, so delivery time was very much as expected.

Clearly very well built, love how well engineered it feels when compared to most similar kit.

The throttle is significantly easier to be more precise with than my old CH unit and there's buttons galore.

Just loosened off the friction levels a bit and will probably play with the detents for the throttles.

All in all, I'm a very happy customer.

If you decide to do something with the goofy red /yellow button , please document it!

This is interesting. Was it easy to do? Was it reversible or did you need to break something to remove it? Thx

It’s a 2 min easily reversible job.

Both the switch and it’s.cover are held in place by a nut which screws onto threads on the collar or the switch. Undo the nut, remove the switch cover, replace nut. It’s that easy.

Ref the goofy red thing, doesn’t bother me in the slightest as I fly in VR, so use my controls by touch. If anything, it’s odd shape helps me find it by touch.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

One question, anyone done a vid explaining the easiest way to change, remove the throttle detents?

....I've also removed the orange flip up switch cover, as frankly it just gets in the way of a potentially useful button and doesn't really add much value.

I understand perhaps for you it is of no use BUT for me, it is a great design.

The red cover and spring toggle are positioned such that just lifting or closing the cover sends a DX pulse (31).... move the toggle forward and you get a different DX pulse (30)

Some airframes have a cover protected store dump switch.

That's what I use it for. With correct mappings lifting the cover lifts the cover in the game, toggle forward jettisons stores - Perfect....

Again the yellow button and red shroud for me are good to use in VR ... could not be better.

Of course we are all different and fly different models so its whatever suits... :)

SIGBLOCK.png

Gizzy>

Couldn't agree more. Use it however you find best.

Ref the detents, how easy is to change/remove them? I haven't seen an description of doing that as yet?