Anti-skid behavior

Baz000

My Viper typically wants to pull to one side when I am braking during the landing roll out. I decided to do a fast run down the runway to test this out and I used the W key on the keyboard instead of my toe brakes on my rudder pedals and still the same results.

Is the anti skid braking is not working properly on the F-16?

Have a video I recorded and a track wasn't my best landing, I ended up bouncing on touchdown initially.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V-2OajKToC9rrONgNe6k8ejHfwZl0Ekz/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Baz000
  • Like 1

My Viper typically wants to pull to one side when I am braking during the landing roll out.

The real aircraft is suppose to want to drift right with NWS off as describe in the USAF manual 1F-16CJ-1, Form 15 August 2009, page 2-27, last note.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The real aircraft is suppose to want to drift right with NWS off as describe in the USAF manual 1F-16CJ-1, Form 15 August 2009, page 2-27, last note.

That is only with NWS off or fail or hydraulic B failure and only at low speeds.

Edited by Bouli306

What also doesn't help, is that the toe brake power is not linear currently: I set a -20 curve (since we still need to set the wheel brakes as "inverted"), to make it smoother, and easier to gradually increase brake pressure.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

That is only with NWS off or fail or hydraulic B failure and only at low speeds.

I did mention NWS off. But it is at any speed with increase nose loading; which include breaking, TGP installed or if they used forward stick pressure. I know because every time we got new pilots or pilot not used to flying the block 40 we get NWS pulls to the right wright up. But I was told repeatedly that we (maintainers) don't use -1 for maintenance. We could not CND write ups so here we go troubleshooting brakes and NWS, finding nothing but having to change a part no matter what, normally the NWS potentiometer.

Same thing would happen with "external tank slow to feed" or on the late 1990, on PW engine with AB no light MFL.

All of this if irrelevant in DCS unless this is model at some point.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

To highlight the effect

I understand the anti-skid isn't right but it's not that hard to stop the Viper without locking up the wheels. The video makes it look worse than it is. We can keep it stopping straight the same way we did with our cars before anti-lock brakes. Actually, it's easier in a plane because we have left-right brakes.

Buzz

Don't forget you will also want to weather-cock into the wind if you have any crosswind.

But yes you need to not brake at 100%, and just use differential braking when slowing to keep straight.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In Short, the breaks are crap.can stop faster in the space shuttle.

The Space Shuttle had drag chutes (and so do some export Vipers)...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys,

I landed hundreds (if not thousands) of time with many aircraft so I am quite comfortable with this .... but the F-16 still does give me the chill while landing.  It is difficult for me to believe that the aircraft really behave this way... pilots would HATE this. 

That thing feels like a 1200 hp drag car with tinny tire ...it skids all over the place. Was this thing fixed in the beta branch (I am on stable)? The thread is quite old so maybe something was done in the meantime.

Also dumb question but, is the Anti-Skid feature must be activated thru a switch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frag said:

That thing feels like a 1200 hp drag car with tinny tire ...it skids all over the place. Was this thing fixed in the beta branch (I am on stable)? The thread is quite old so maybe something was done in the meantime.

you need to aerobrake before thinking of using the wheelbrakes, here is a recent and very clear tutorial on this:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

14 hours ago, Frag said:

Hi guys,

I landed hundreds (if not thousands) of time with many aircraft so I am quite comfortable with this .... but the F-16 still does give me the chill while landing.  It is difficult for me to believe that the aircraft really behave this way... pilots would HATE this. 

Also dumb question but, is the Anti-Skid feature must be activated thru a switch?

Not much has changed since then, thus I´d consider the whole Anti-Skid implementation as a "Work in Progress"

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

7 hours ago, =52d= Skip said:

Not much has changed since then, thus I´d consider the whole Anti-Skid implementation as a "Work in Progress"

Good! At least we know that some work will be done in this area. I find quite ironic to be more nervous landing my F-16 than flying it few minutes before over a city infested with SAM sites. LOL

You are not alone

Flying and Fighting in the F-16 is great

Rollout I sweat not to tip over or hit the ils antenna or excessive sink rate which puts the gear through the wings or damaging the gear on takeoff

Is the real viper that much work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

16 hours ago, ruddy122 said:

You are not alone

Flying and Fighting in the F-16 is great

Rollout I sweat not to tip over or hit the ils antenna or excessive sink rate which puts the gear through the wings or damaging the gear on takeoff

Is the real viper that much work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by how they work the approach here in the netherlands, you quite often hear engine's spooling up on short final to correct the sink rate so I'd say so yeah. I think besides the anti skid behavior the way it brakes and lands is as it should be.

They are still working on anti skid. I think it will be a big improvement, once finished. I have rudder pedals with toe breakes. Just dont push the brakes further than 2/3rd of the pedal travel and trying to balance out if the jet wants to go to either side. Its just a workaround, but it is what we have at the moment.

Of course you need aerobraking but slower than 100 kts you'd have to be an ice skater until we finally have ABS.

For even more fun: Wait until ED models damage of the nozzle and the engine when you're aerobraking too much and the lower fuselage of the aircraft touches the runway 😉

Edited by darkman222