Upgraded Mig-29

Guest Guest

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get greenlight IC, the cockpit needs to be in Saved Games/Liveries/Cockpit_MiG-29A/<new name> (same for S version..).

I use it as such, and it passes IC ok.

Hi, do you have a screenshot how is in your saved games?, mine pass the IC, but is not working at all.

folder where I've put the cockpit (I use same custom cockpit textures for both):

..\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_MiG-29A\SPO

..\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_MiG-29S\SPO

and how it then looks in setup & folder:

setup29.jpg.3904924087ed5a5cd663ca52490bfbf8.jpg

setup29b.jpg.3b2e6707afdec95eb62c57f291f6aba4.jpg

Edited by Vatikus

I know there is something in the controls that allows you to bypass the 8G limit, but I don't use it because I see a lot of guys in Flankers rip their wings off in ACM.

I’m not 100% sure that ripping off the wing in over-G is realistic, but I think this is ED way to make people respect the G limitation.

Above combat fuel (5270kg) the Su-27 isn’t allowed to pull max G.

Between 5270kg and the maximum of 9000kg the plane is in “over weight” (fuel in forward fuselage tank and wing tank).

So if they must avoid bringing too much fuel into the fight.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/flanker_fc/index.php?PAGEN_1=2

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I was wondering because I find the AOA/pitch changes in the Su-27 and Su-33 to be much slower than the F-15C. I attributed that to the FBW system in the Flanker limiting the G you can pull which makes the Flanker go nose up slower. I know there is something in the controls that allows you to bypass the 8G limit, but I don't use it because I see a lot of guys in Flankers rip their wings off in ACM.

I’m not 100% sure that ripping off the wing in over-G is realistic, but I think this is ED way to make people respect the G limitation.

Above combat fuel (5270kg) the Su-27 isn’t allowed to pull max G.

Between 5270kg and the maximum of 9000kg the plane is in “over weight” (fuel in forward fuselage tank and wing tank).

So if they must avoid bringing too much fuel into the fight.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/flanker_fc/index.php?PAGEN_1=2

The ACS in the DCS Su-27 has a combined AOA & G limiter which will prevent the pilot from over stressing the airframe. Maximum G is a function of weight and mach number (see the attached diagram).

The AOA/G limiter works on all 3 control channels (pitch, roll & yaw) but can be temporarily deactivated by holding down the Y key, or whatever you have it bound to. In addition to the stated maximum G values the airframe has a built-in safety margin of approximately 1.4, so for example if your aircraft has a calculated maximum G of 8 and you disable the AOA/G limiter, the airframe will not suffer destruction until a G value of around 11.2.

It's also the case that the AOA/G limiter is not instantaneous, so simply 'banking & yanking' with instant maximum stick deflection with the limiter disengaged is a great way to break your wings off. If you're seeing lots of people breaking their wings in WVR fights, this is why it's happening. The limiter will save you at any weight at any airspeed if it's allowed to do its work. It takes a very experienced pilot to know where the G limits are for any given configuration & mach number, and avoid snapping off the wings with the limiter disengaged.

Disabling the AOA/G limiter should not be confused with disconnecting the entire ACS system and flying in 'direct' mode, where deflection of the control surfaces is directly proportional to stick deflection. You can disable the ACS by hitting the S key. Doing this at any speed above ~400 Km/h is not recommended because the aircraft has a tendency to immediately pitch down strongly, and the faster the airspeed the stronger the pitch down tendency. It's perfectly possible to disable the ACS and instantly kill your pilot in this way via excessive negative G.

Hope this helps.

1034936481_Su-27MaximumAllowedG.jpg.eb201e527ca28cfc78a5f2be9ce16dd3.jpg

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

You can see the wings flexing on aircraft in real life, even just through light maneuvering. Common sense says that the more aggressively you maneuver, the more they will flex, and at some point, break. So, yeah, snapping your wings off is realisitic under certain conditions. I doubt you can bend them 90' and them not snap off.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

folder where I've put the cockpit (I use same custom cockpit textures for both):

..\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_MiG-29A\SPO

..\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_MiG-29S\SPO

and how it then looks in setup & folder:

WOW thanks! will test both tonight! :thumbup:

Edited by JunMcKill

• 1 month later...

I have not noticed that the Mig-29 should receive the PFM ?? That's great news! Yesterday, after a long time of thinking, I gained the Mig-21 module. I've only been able to play for a while, but it was great fun. And now the Mig-23 is announced. Hey, that gives hope for good times! :thumbup:

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I cannot wait for the MIG-29 PFM :)

I wish they would tweak the helmet mounted sight to be less arcade since it is one of the most used and known system on the MIG-29.

The way the real HMS is used:

1. Pilot superimpose HMS symbol on target aircraft.

2. Presses a button on throttle (slaving R73 seekerhead onto target)

3. Hears a seeker TONE in headset.

4. FOX-2!

No locking up aircraft with floating green circles and stuff.

@schimdtfire

Well, each of the other aircraft so far, when receiving the PFM update, also received minor tweaks and enhancements to their systems, so it's possible.

@kotor633

It's been known it would receive one since they started replacing the old FMs several years ago. They're not going to do all of them but one, but I agree, it's good news ;0

• 4 weeks later...

My wishes

My wishes

- Professional flight model

- SPO light emission distance corrected (currently invisible during the day)

- HD cockpit texture and cockpit light of the instrument improved

- Cockpit animated (for example the mode selector of slave, nothing indicates when it is in all position, same thing for the limiter of gun..)

- A different cockpit for the MiG-29 A, MiG-29 S and MiG-29 G Variant (in reality there are noticeable differences) ..

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What can we actually expect from the MiG 29 PFM? Is there a difference in the A/G/S model performance in real life, and if so, can we expect that with the PFM too?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

What we can expect is better ground handling and edge of envelope behavior, and more realistic feel in general. No more 'scripted flight modeling' it will be calculated dynamically.

Variantwise, the A and G are essentially identical, the S has a slightly enlarged spine housing the ECM and a little extra fuel, so in theory it may have very slightly different behavior, but for all intents and purposes, the three aircraft are the same except for radar and weapons systems (which are still substantially similar). It's possible we may see a few minor system additions as we did with the Su-33 recently, but nothing too substantial.

Thx zhukov032186 :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

What can we actually expect from the MiG 29 PFM? Is there a difference in the A/G/S model performance in real life, and if so, can we expect that with the PFM too?

The "MiG-29G" is the Luftwaffe's own designation for the "MiG-29A"(9-12), which apart from changes to onboard equipment also involved modification to the fuel system and detuning of the engines(to increase lifetime). The original 9-12 has two engine settings - full spec "combat" setting and a lower "training" mode.

IIRC Luftwaffe modified these to a "normal" mode corresponding to the "training" mode of the original, and a "reduced thrust" mode, thats lower yet.

The MiG-29S is essentially an MiG-29(9-13) with a WCS upgrade - the 9-13 has improvements to the flight control system compared with the 9-12 and IIRC allows higher AOA.

Whether these things will be depicted for PFM I don't know - so far other differences between the MiG-29 versions in DCS are not well represented.

Edited by Alfa

JJ

Whether these things will be depicted for PFM I don't know - so far other differences between the MiG-29 versions in DCS are not well represented.

Not sure about the higher AoA for the 9-13, but I presume at least the engine thrust values should be easily changed in the PFM to reflect the reduced performance of the MiG-29G.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I really hope we get a true TWS for the MiG-29S. Right now, its useless unless you want to shoot down bombers!

The question is how useful the SNP2 mode(if thats what you are referring to) is on the real aircraft - its sort of an add-on mode and as such probably comes with more limitations than similar modes on other radar types, where there are more integrated.

JJ

Not sure about the higher AoA for the 9-13, but I presume at least the engine thrust values should be easily changed in the PFM to reflect the reduced performance of the MiG-29G.

No and in regards to the 9-13, I think there is more involved. I cannot remember the details as I am more into the baseline 9-12 and, as you know, the MiG-29M/K(upgrade-wise there is a little more "meat on those bones" :) ).

I am also not sure about the engine thing on the "MiG-29G" - in the Luftwaffe flight manual, they do refer to "Normal" and "limited thrust" modes, but state the max AB power output in "normal mode" as 8300 kgf, which corresponds to the "full spec" combat mode on the original 9-12....so I don't know.

Either the whole "detuning of engines" is a mistake - e.g. that Luftwaffe just translated the Russian terms and ran the engines in training mode in order to preserve engine life(which is the purpose of it) and this has been misinterpreted as "detuning". Or they did indeed detune the engines, but performed this modification after the manual was written.

JJ

• 2 weeks later...
The question is how useful the SNP2 mode(if thats what you are referring to) is on the real aircraft - its sort of an add-on mode and as such probably comes with more limitations than similar modes on other radar types, where there are more integrated.

To be fair: From my reading SNP2 is more of an extension from the N-019's automatic mode (interleaved with automatic acquisition), so the jamming problems faced with FC3's interpretation of TWS would only exist in one mode of it. Particularly in the Topaz version which we have in FC3. In Encounter mode, these problems would be different and maybe more manageable. (Note: I have no proof of that)

http://toad-design.com/migalley/index.php/jet-aircraft/mig29/mig29-n019-radar/

If we're talking pipe dreams of PFM. I would love for the N-019 radar to be modeled to be a bit closer to how it behaves in real life. What we have in FC3 right now is worse than the modes that the actual aircraft have available to it. Many of the things in FC3 that have to be done manually are done automatically by the plane IRL.

Of course, I'm probably asking too much.

Edited by Auditor

• 4 weeks later...

MIG 29 PFM confirmed to be released on 10th OCTOBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

From the news post:

"Due to both an Open Beta and Release version of DCS World being released last week to support the Free Weekend, there is no update for this week. However, on 10 October we will release the updated MiG-29 Fulcrum for Flaming Cliffs 3! This will include a Professional Flight Model (PFM), updated cockpit, and several new cockpit system functions. This will be a FREE update for Flaming Cliffs 3 owners! For those that do not own Flaming Cliffs 3, we will also make it available as a separate purchase."

Wonder what those will include (hopefully the waypoint indication at least). Can't wait to try the 29's PFM, though. Finally!!

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!